Doubts About Book on Submission and Talent in General

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
I have a book that is currently out on submission. My agent believes in it and I have had good feedback from beta readers. I believed in it too when it first went out.

Since then (only two months), I have been absorbed by my current WIP. I am sort of monogamous with my books. When I was with the last one, I loved it a lot. Now I am with my current one, I love it and think the previous one is junk.

I made the mistake last night during a bout of insomnia of opening up my last book and reading some of it and now have convinced myself that it is utter crap. I see tons of things I would change or cut out completely. The characters seem irritating to me and the story unsympathetic. I know self-doubt is common with writers, but it felt exceptionally bad last night. So much so, that if I had it to do over again I think I would never have let the previous book see the light of day.

Does anyone else feel this way from time to time? I hope it will pass, but unfortunately it has permeated my writing today and is impacting how I feel about my new WIP.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I do this. I have a love-hate relationship with my own writing, or perhaps a manic-depressive one. When I'm racing to the end of a first draft or a revision, I LOVE my book. I have rose-colored glasses. I think it should be a best-seller, yadda yadda. My rational mind does reality checks, but my imagination just keeps being delusional.

Usually the worm doesn't turn until the book starts getting rejections. Then I doubt everything.

But once I figure out how to make it better and get engrossed in my revision, I love it again. That's how I've managed to keep revising a certain book for years now. (I have shelved or trunked my share, but some stories I won't let go.)

After I got an offer from my current agent, it took me a long time (well, maybe a week) to get into the revisions she'd suggested because previous rejections had soured me on the book. I forced myself to revise just two hours a day, and the doubts receded again. Now it's on submission, and who knows? I'm feeling good now, but rejections could send the pendulum swinging back.

Sometimes sheer overfamiliarity with your own book can make you hate it for a while. I've heard this from people who were at the copyedit stage with a publisher and reading their book for the nth time.

For that reason, I never reread my work until I'm ready to revise it. When you're at that stage, you can change all those things you want to change. And hopefully you'll have a deadline from an agent or editor to spur you along. And validation that makes you realize you don't need to change everything.

Maybe while you're on submission (thinking about all those editors reading your book, but feeling powerless to revise it) is the worst time to reread it. I would trust your agent and your beta readers and focus on your WIP.

Last edited:

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes sheer overfamiliarity with your own book can make you hate it for a while. I've heard this from people who were at the copyedit stage with a publisher and reading their book for the nth time.

For that reason, I never reread my work until I'm ready to revise it. When you're at that stage, you can change all those things you want to change. And hopefully you'll have a deadline from an agent or editor to spur you along. And validation that makes you realize you don't need to change everything.

Maybe while you're on submission (thinking about all those editors reading your book, but feeling powerless to revise it) is the worst time to reread it. I would trust your agent and your beta readers and focus on your WIP.

Thanks Fuchsia! Your reply really helped. You're right, I think it was a mistake to go back and read it now that it is on submission. I do feel powerless, just like you said.

Well, back to my WIP. Not feeling super confident right now, but I am hoping it will pass soon. Thanks again.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
You have a book that attracted the service of an agent and is on submission. It's a product now, looking for a buyer.

That puts you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of most people here, including me. Me permanently.

Now go write something else.

caw

Last edited:

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I feel like that all the time. I kind of assumed all writers do, right? Right?!?! :)

For me, I tend to like my writing a lot (I'll end up getting accidentally sucked in to reading a scene I just wanted to skim for a piece of info), but I hate my overall plot/structure. Makes me doubt that anyone will ever want to buy my book. Especially when I think about the sheer volume of queries out there. There is an agent I follow on twitter who is still pretty new and building a list and he was tweeting about queries and had 1 partial request out of 50 queries! It's an ocean out there, and even if my drop is any good, which I doubt it is...well, that's how it goes. The perils of a writing career!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The worst thing a writer can do is re-read anything that's out on submission. Nothing good can come of it. If you really are monogamous with your books, then don't cheat on your current flame by spending a night with the old one.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
You have a book that attracted the service of an agent and is on submission. It's a product now, looking for a buyer.

That puts you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of most people here, including me. Me permanently.

Now go write something else.

caw

I am appreciative of those facts, but there are barriers at every stage of the road. I know the only way to get through any of this is just to put my head down and keep writing. Sometimes that's easier said than done!
I feel like that all the time. I kind of assumed all writers do, right? Right?!?! :)

For me, I tend to like my writing a lot (I'll end up getting accidentally sucked in to reading a scene I just wanted to skim for a piece of info), but I hate my overall plot/structure.

Oh my gosh, this happens to me a lot. I get sucked in to reading something I wrote and really enjoy it. Sometimes it takes me just removing myself from it for awhile in order to appreciate it. I wrote something fifteen years ago that my then agent shelved. I recently found it in a box in my garage and re-read it. I honestly had no memory of having written most of it so it was like reading something written by a stranger. I could see the strengths and weaknesses with absolute clarity. I wish I had that experience with all my novels. Too bad there wasn't a short term amnesia pill or something.

If you really are monogamous with your books, then don't cheat on your current flame by spending a night with the old one.

I was pretty good about not reading the work that is out on submission, but the other day I was having difficulty with a love scene on my current WIP and I thought "I wonder how I pulled it off in my other book?" So I opened up the file and once I started reading I could not stop. Self-doubt and massive criticisms followed.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I know the feeling.
My book comes out tomorrow, and still I have to snap out of my doubts. :crazy:
I second advice given above that says working on other projects is definitely the best cure. (I'm currently in love with working on my almost-complete-wip.)

BradyBones

Picking Up the Pieces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rbradyfrost.com
I think what matters right now is that other people are interested in your old manuscript. Your writing will evolve over time and your books should improve with experience. If I had to choose, I think I would rather win as a green author who can mature than start out near perfect and slip downhill with each new published work.

There's always a bright side. There's always something to learn. Just be glad you have an open mind and don't allow yourself to be snagged by the anchors of the past. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.