Thanksgiving FAQ for the whole AW Community

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Almost that time again...

Our Thanksgivings are usually pretty basic. We haven't had a big family gathering version of it in probably over a decade. And that's when we have it at all, I don't think we've had it at home in a couple of years either. I've worked it the past few years (which is what I'm doing this year) and my mom and her fiancee generally get invited to one of his relatives' for dinner. The invite doesn't extend to me, hence why I work instead.

When we do have a real Thanksgiving, it's usually the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, stuffing, green beans and squash. Dessert is usually at least two types of pie, usually apple and pumpkin. Sometimes I split a small shrimp ring with my mom.

I think we are doing dinner at home this year, which will be nice. I might attempt doing a little baking (I don't spend much time in the kitchen, never learned how to cook, I can bake a couple things), something to bring to work and something to bring for dinner. Maybe.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
My great-grandmother's cranberry sauce! I still cry every time that I make it.

While I was visiting my mom 2 years ago, I learned that I was the ONLY person in the family that had the recipe (and my great grandmother died 15+ years ago).

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
He's her brother, let her deal with him. The point should be being together, not what gets eaten. I have one niece who has never eaten anything at my turkey day dinners other than black olives and mashed potatoes (with no gravy). If he wants store bought turkey, and is willing to bring it himself, don't worry about it.

And remember one of my favorite sayings for family gatherings: everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another glass of wine

MM

When I lived in Texas I would pre-order a mesquite smoked turkey for the big day. Now that I have moved on to other parts of the world - no such thing is available where I live. That's the thing about holidays; be flexible or be miserable (and a BIG glass of wine helps).

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website