The Tenth Circle

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting for the author blurbs was nerve-wracking enough, the reviews are going to kill me.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'd forgotten about author blurbs. My editor keeps asking if I want to make recommendations of people she can contact, but beyond big-name authors for my type of MG fiction (and I don't know any of the authors personally of course), I don't have any ideas.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
It was. I had convinced myself that the author blurbs were flukes and that readers were going to be "eh, whatever" about it. So it was a great relief to be proven wrong. :tongue

Speaking of... My MIL loved your book. (you were her very first UF read, she normally sticks to romance and mystery) She was only reading it on her lunch breaks, and said it was killing her to wait and see what happened next. ;)

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
When my editor gave me the list of author names they were thinking about contacting, some of them were like, "Okay, you guys do that, and just don't tell me about it if they hate it. M'kay?" I only contacting one writer myself -- big name too but I had a tenuous connection -- and he was incredibly generous with his time and praise.

I think most authors want to help another out.

Reviews though? Gahh...I don't even want to think about it. I'll have to not only hide in my house, I'll have to have someone screen my Google alerts for me.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Jill, if it decides not to rain here today, I may amble on down to the big Santa Monica B&N. Another Purgie tells me she found your book there. The one I went to in MDR really is pretty small. I was also sorta light-headed with hunger, so it's possible I missed it! :)

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
A pet rock?

No?

Damn, I suck at this game.

And just to emphasize how awesome my editor is, she e-mailed today to say that we should have ARCs in mid-March, but if I didn't want to wait that long, she'd see about getting me some kind of bound copy to give to my mom. (I told her March was fine)

I should also have copyedits sometime around the 27th, which works out amazingly well since I took the 28th and 29th off from work (just for mental health days).

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Finished chapter 1 today. Doesn't sound like much, but it's the one chapter I didn't really change between book versions, and it's the one chapter I never could finish before. So I'm pretty pleased with it.

Onward and upward!

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I swear to the gods, if ONE more person says "I get a free copy, right?"* I'm just gonna start kicking people in the teeth.

If you have to ask, then no, you're not getting one. Those entitled to a free copy of my book already know who they are, and they did a helluva lot more work on it than you did.

*Also likely to incite homicidal rage:
"Just give me one of your advance copies when you get them."
"Can't you just e-mail me a copy?"
"Just print it out off your computer."

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I swear to the gods, if ONE more person says "I get a free copy, right?"* I'm just gonna start kicking people in the teeth.

If you have to ask, then no, you're not getting one. Those entitled to a free copy of my book already know who they are, and they did a helluva lot more work on it than you did.

Oh I know the feeling on this one. Since I've had free-read chapters on the Booksie site, people feel they're entitled to the rest of the book, even knowing that they're teaser chapters. Tas, they can lay down the cabbage for a copy--end of story.

Tri

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com

This! And it doesn't get any better as time goes on. I really don't like the very strained silences where you just know the person is waiting to get offered a free copy.

Love the cover!

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Still waiting for my editorial notes...

Hey guys, how long did it take you guys to get yours? Did it come after the signed contract or before? Thanks! :)

The waiting never ends...

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Mmmm. In my case, before. The contract actually got lost in the mail at some point (really!) and anyway we were on a kind of tight schedule. I'd have to go back and look to see exactly how long it took (the correspondence is on my other laptop) but I think it is another one of those things that really varies by house and by book.