Questions for published writers on AW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm really curious to know from published authors on here the processes they took to break into the industry. I have been browsing this website for hours at a time and I've noticed that many users who were discussing pitching work several years ago are now enjoying a degree of success with their published works. (And congratulations, by the way!)

How many of you are represented by agents or did you choose to go it alone with self-publishing? How have the sales of your books done since publication? Has getting your foot in the door been down to having connections or purely an excellent pitch - or both? Did you spend years trying to break down the door or was it more or less instantaneous? How do you fare with social media marketing? What advice do you have for writers currently trying to break in?

I'm really trying to increase my knowledge of the industry in every possible way - been researching agents, publishers, buying copies of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, reading blogs on what agents are looking for, looking out for writers conferences, entering competitions - and, of course, writing. :) Any thoughts from published writers would be enormously helpful.

RevanWright

inconveniently drunk
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreatheend.com
I'm only just self-published, and only on Kindle at the moment, so I don't know much, but I've already had pretty good success at launch.

I spent nearly 10 years with the same characters, writing and rewriting and developing my style. Unfortunately my determination doesn't go far beyond that, as I only wrote a half-hearted synopsis and query letter, and only submitted to maybe 15 agents before deciding to self-pub.
I haven't ever blogged or anything, but I was fortunate in the fact that I'm a mildly prolific personality under an assumed name on a certain magical image board, and I had a good amount of followers and friends from there and social media that bought my book right when I released it.

I'd say it's a different track for everyone. I've seen dozens of people working their butts off to polish their work, land an agent, market, promote, and barely get any reward for it. Others have found great success doing the same things, and more have succeeded to dumb luck or other mysterious forces.

But I'd say get a blog, a FB author page, a twitter author account, a goodreads account- all that jazz. Get involved in discussions in forums and book lists. Get your name out there and get followers. That way, whether you self-pub or land a traditional deal, you'll have a base ready and waiting for your first release.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How many of you are represented by agents or did you choose to go it alone with self-publishing?
Neither. Both of my books are with a smaller independent house. An agent wasn't required to submit to them.
How have the sales of your books done since publication?
Probably about as well as I could have done with self-publishing, due to a lack of promotion and marketing on my publisher's end (another rant on another thread).
Has getting your foot in the door been down to having connections or purely an excellent pitch - or both?
Both. My editor from a house that sank formed a new company with some others from the house. She informed me and several others here when it opened. She took on my first book because the rights reverted back to me and the second was purely on my submission.
Did you spend years trying to break down the door or was it more or less instantaneous?
Frankly, I didn't see it as breaking down any barriers. I'd been working on getting published for several years and just followed SOP.
How do you fare with social media marketing?
Almost zilch. I've been promoting myself and my books through several channels, and really don't see any significant increases in sales whenever something new happens, such as a guest post on a blog or an appearance at a conference.
What advice do you have for writers currently trying to break in?
Sit down, learn the business, write the best damned possible work you can, and follow the submission guidelines. So from what you said you're doing, you're already on track.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How many of you are represented by agents or did you choose to go it alone with self-publishing?

I've had over forty books published, and have worked in publishing on and off for about thirty years now.

I have an agent, but I got my first contract before I had an agent. I didn't get that first contract because I knew people in publishing: I had been writing for some time, and a writer I knew asked me if I'd write a book he was contracted for, but didn't have time to write.

Very well. I'm happy.

Has getting your foot in the door been down to having connections or purely an excellent pitch - or both?

I'm not typical of most writers because the books I've had published are all ghostwritten.

Several of the books I've had published came to me because editors I've worked with in the past knew that I do good work, and when they needed a ghostwriter they knew I'd be reliable.

Did you spend years trying to break down the door or was it more or less instantaneous?

I just sort of fell into it. I wrote one book, it did well, I was asked to write another... the few queries I've written have done ok, but mostly I'm invited to write the books I write.

However, my published books are all non-fiction. The novels I've written, which I've submitted under my own name, all remain unpublished, despite several very near-misses. It's frustrating, but I understand why.

I don't do it, because I didn't officially write my books. But when I was blogging I found Twitter absolutely brilliant at getting me readers, and getting me work (I used to blog about publishing, and I got many speaking engagements as a result of my Twittering).

You're looking at this wrong. Writers don't "break in" to publishing. If you write a wonderful book, and submit it appropriately, you'll almost certainly get signed; if you write a bad book (or a not-good-enough book) it will not get published, even if you've been published several times before.

I'm really trying to increase my knowledge of the industry in every possible way - been researching agents, publishers, buying copies of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, reading blogs on what agents are looking for, looking out for writers conferences, entering competitions - and, of course, writing. :) Any thoughts from published writers would be enormously helpful.

You're in the right place to learn more.

The best book about publishing is Carole Blake's From Pitch To Publication. It's a bit out of date now (she's writing a new edition, but it's going to be a while) but it's still an excellent book which gives you a brilliant insight into publishing. She's a friend of mine, so I am biased in her favour: but I loved that book before we met. You might like to take a look at it.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really curious to know from published authors on here the processes they took to break into the industry. I have been browsing this website for hours at a time and I've noticed that many users who were discussing pitching work several years ago are now enjoying a degree of success with their published works. (And congratulations, by the way!)

---ME. I don't have an agent. I'm still looking, but I've been published in print with a small house (Regal Crest) and also digitally. I haven't done the self-publishing bit yet because it would take up whatever free time I have. Nothing wrong with it, but I want to see how I do with traditional publishers first.

---ME. Could be better. Partially, it's my fault for not pushing them more, but there's the market to consider and yes, if it's not good enough, then people won't buy it. Therefore, I've been working on honing my craft.

--ME. I never had any connections. I just kept submitting until my work was accepted. As for pitching it (querying) I think it was more luck than anything else.

---ME. It took about a year of submitting before I was accepted in digital format. I won't say that my novel broke any records, but it started me off on this adventure and that's what it's all about.

How do you fare with social media marketing? What advice do you have for writers currently trying to break in?
---ME. I do the Twitter, LinkedIn, and various writer's platform thing, and that's all I have time for, really.

As for advice, keep writing. As other wiser minds than mine have said, learn your craft, know what you want to write, and then write it.

---

See above, please.

The only thing I'll add is that you have to keep at it. A couple of years ago, I was really discouraged and almost chucked it all in. A very nice lady--a published author who didn't know me from a hole in the wall--gave me some sage advice.

"Don't stop. The most successful authors, not necessarily the best stylistically or with the best prose or pithy sayings, are those who kept writing and submitting. They stayed the course. Stay yours."

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

It's not one or the other! I have an agent now, but my first six books (under another name) were published by smaller presses which did not require an agent

I'm not close to retiring, I'll tell you that! But OK. Sales with a bigger publisher are, as you might expect, bigger too.

I had zero connections. In fact I have never met my agent (or even spoken to him on the phone!). I'd never previously met my editors, or anyone else at Orbit (or at the first small pub I was with for that matter -- though the second, I followed my editor to a new house). Any connections I have, have been made after I got the contract.

A bit of both tbh. I sold my first ever book to a small pub and decided then to use the experience as an apprenticeship and absorb all I could from my editor about what makes a good book. I wrote several more for her while doing so. This was in romance, but I really wanted to be writing straight fantasy so I polished up an older MS till I thought it was good enough. Signed with the first agent I pitched to (about two weeks after I queried I think. Maybe less). Had an offer from Orbit 8 weeks later.

Learning to write well enough took a long time. But when I got to the required level, it was pretty quick to get published at the level I wanted to be (and also I had written the right book at the right time)

Not brilliant tbh. Can never think what to blog about, for instance. I do better with just having conversations with people about the genre and books.

Keep on trucking. Er, writing :) You won't get anywhere without being able to write well, so learn that craft.

Yes, you'll need to study the market, agents etc as well. But the good book is the first requirement, and the hardest and also the one over which you have any control.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

None of my books is self-published, and none had an agent. They were all published by small trade publishers that are open to author submissions.

I sort of knew the first publisher, and that was a really fast acceptance--four days from the query. The second publisher took forever to find, but I had a tentative offer within 24 hours. The third one isn't really mine: I was just asked to write one of the chapters. It came to me. These are all for non-fiction, none of them narrative.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com

I went through small presses without an agent, publishing my first two books in 2009. 70-some-odd titles later, I'm still working with e-presses, and have also self-published a handful of titles (mostly reprints, one first run).

They started out slowish, but have picked up steadily. I'm probably an upper midlister in my genre (gay romance, mostly).

Querying and being persistent. Some connections have led me to other houses and such, but those came later.

I started querying at the end of 2008 and got my first acceptance in mid-2009.

I don't do a lot of heavy marketing, I just try to maintain a presence on Twitter and Facebook. Be funny, engage people, etc., and just post occasional links/reviews.

Be persistent, and never say never. (I'll never self-publish, I'll never sign with an agent, etc. The publishing industry is changing so much, yesterday's "I don't think so" can easily be tomorrow's perfect opportunity.)

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Excellent questions, Supermarine! I'll try to answer them one by one.

I am represented by the Trident Media Group (MacKenzie Fraser-Bub). I self-published one book, a collection of short stories. It didn't sell.

The sales of my books have done moderately well, but I'm definitely not getting rich. I'm what you would call a mid-list author. So far.

I didn't really have any connections. I just kept sending out my query letter, getting rejected, polishing the letter, sending it out again, etc.

I started writing my first complete novel in 2003, finished it in 2008. I searched for an agent and got about 100 rejections. I began querying small publishers and ended up getting two offers. My first novel came out in 2010 with Nightbird Publishing in Atlanta, Ga. I published three more books with different publishers and no agent. It wasn't until I had a four-book deal with Permuted Press on the table earlier this year that I finally landed an agent.

I am on Facebook and Twitter, and I have a blog as well as a website. I have a lot of fans that follow my accounts, but I don't put a lot of stock in social media. Meeting people face to face is still the best way to gain new fans, in my opinion. Trade shows and book signings are great ways to do that.

My advice is: Read what you want to write and write what you want to read. Never give up on yourself. If you believe in your story, then eventually you'll find someone else who will, too. It's easy to self-publish (I know - I've done it!), but it's hard to endure the gauntlet of rejections from agents and editors on the way to being published. It can be demoralizing if you let it. But I can say without a doubt that in the end, it's all worth it.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com

I'm represented by an agent. I did publish one novel and two short stories with an epub before I gained representation (and just negotiated another short story sale after, since my agent doesn't handle those). I have yet to self publish.

The first book has done reasonably for a niche genre (m/m erotic paranormal romance). The second doesn't come out until Aug 19th (that one the agent placed), so I have no idea yet about sales.

Yes? Kinda? I spent three years getting an MFA in Genre fiction and it was, more or less, because of that program that I met the editor of the epub (a fellow grad student) and then my agent (she was a guest of an alumni-sponsored workshop).

BUT---with both, the writing had to be there. I still had to submit my material, and in the case of the agent, I waited almost a year to hear back. So it wasn't a *quick* process. It was just a different process.

I spent a couple of years, plus the years in grad school (which improved my craft). It feels, sometimes, like it's been instantaneous. But it's not been.

I just try to be present and real on twitter and blogs and such. It's less marketing and more just being out there.

Keep writing and submitting. Don't settle for less. (That is, aim high.) Always work to improve your craft. Be professional. And pretty much what thethinker42 said.

There are tons of routes to success in publishing.

Hope this helps!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
<How many of you are represented by agents or did you choose to go it alone with self-publishing?>

In 2011 I wrote an erotic romance science-fiction novel, and in early 2012 pitched that to several agents for a few months. No one bit, so I pitched the novel to seven of the biggest erotic romance e-publishers. Within a month, two said 'maybe'. I did some suggested revisions for the publisher I liked most, and got a contract offer. Based off that offer, I enlisted the help of an agent not normally open to unsolicited queries. We worked well together, so she decided to take me on as a client, for my other works.

I have a couple of short stories in anthologies, but those were for one-time payments. Only one is getting me any kind of visibility.

Self-publishing is an option, but not until I establish myself a bit more in commercial publishing.

<How have the sales of your books done since publication?>

The novel is doing pretty good for an e-book in its genre, for an unknown author. My sales are about average for my publisher. I'm nowhere near visible enough to be a midlister.

<Has getting your foot in the door been down to having connections or purely an excellent pitch - or both?>

At first, it was only the quality of my query. Now I'm beginning to make connections that could prove useful later. See my answers on social media.

<Did you spend years trying to break down the door or was it more or less instantaneous?>

A bloody long time. I had an agent from 1991 to 1999, but my work wasn't quite good enough to sell. We parted ways amicably, and I set aside most of my writing until 2009. I finished and pitched a big epic fantasy, but had no luck getting agent interest - even though the book got some professional notice in big writing contests. The sixth book I wrote was the first I sold. I've been writing since 1987, with an art career alongside.

<How do you fare with social media marketing?>

I'm very restrained on it. I don't spam, and I'm not relentless about putting myself out there. I rely on making entertaining and informative mutual connections, rather than obvious marketing ploys. I post excerpts on some large online romance writers' groups, and participate in some blog hops. I get a substantial proportion of blog traffic from AW and from my pages on a major fan fiction site - with a small number of book sales coming from those contacts. Word of mouth and strong reviews have done the most for me.

<What advice do you have for writers currently trying to break in?>

Write. A lot. Improve your skills, whether you plan to self-publish or go the commercial route. (Many self-pub authors jump into way too early, and it shows in their books.) Be aware of the markets and do your research. Have at least one other avocation/vocation you love as much as writing, because you'll need sources of self validation.

Love the act and process of writing, and that love can carry you far.

Last edited:

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Disclaimer: my books aren't published yet (but they are contracted to be published in 2015 and 2016).

I have an agent, and she sold my books.

Both, and maybe even more to do with having my writing out there. I had interest from folk before my manuscript was finished, mostly because I had non-fiction and short fiction in other publications and on my blog. That definitely helped me to establish connections that ultimately helped me get an audience with the right people. I suspect my pitch was less than excellent!

It didn't feel like either of these. I just worked at it until it was finished. I don't think I "broke down the door", but just talked to people about my goals, wrote words and eventually tied the two things together.

Social media strategy is my day job, so quite well, I feel. I don't believe it to be a strong selling tool though, especially for books. It's better for facilitating brand positioning, product awareness, relationship building than for straight selling.

Be motivated by a genuine desire to write, work hard, keep at it, don't be an asshole and put yourself out there (in whatever way that means for you).

Reaction score
Wow, thank you all for your detailed responses, it's been incredibly helpful gaining insight into the different ways everyone has worked towards getting their work out there.

Your advice has been invaluable and it's really opened my eyes, too. For a number of years, I'd been harbouring the impression that it was agent > publisher > printed > sell loads of books. I'd never really explored all other different avenues or dug deeply into the process, which was naivety on my part. :D But that's one reason why I'm here and to learn from those who know much better than I. And it is great to hear from people who are actively in the publishing world right now.

What are your thoughts on attending book conferences where you can pitch your book to an agent for fifteen-twenty minutes? I've checked some out in my city; they are quite pricey, but if the process is worth it, I'll be glad to fork out.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have 3 novels published by small publishers. I got those ones by submitting my work directly to publishers. Since my 3rd novel has published, I have gotten myself an agent. I was first friends with my agent, as I help run the Ontario Writers' Conference and one of our features at the conference is pitch sessions with agents. I was fortunate enough to really click with one of the agents. She later asked to see my work, I showed her. She signed me for two of my novels, HALF DEAD & FULLY BROKEN and BURN BABY. She sold them. They are now coming out in the fall and in early 2015. These ones will have bookstore distribution...a bigger publisher. Here's hoping world domination is not far behind. (-:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
In the way of advice, I think it's important to ask yourself what you expect first. You have many routes to take. You can submit to an agent, submit to publishers or self-publish. Once you know what route you want to take, just be relentless. My only solid advice would be READ AND FOLLOW ALL THE GUIDELINES TO A TEE. The rest...we're kind of all on a level playing field. Put your best foot forward by having a killer query letter/synopsis. You can have the best novel in the world...if your query letter sucks, you'll never get anybody to look at the novel.

GOOD LUCK!

Reaction score
Thank you for your excellent advice, Kevin, it is much appreciated! And congratulations on your novels, I hope world domination will be within your grasp :D When you say your two novels will have bookstore distribution, where did you sell your first three? Do smaller publishing houses tend not to distribute to bookstores?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thank you for your excellent advice, Kevin, it is much appreciated! And congratulations on your novels, I hope world domination will be within your grasp :D When you say your two novels will have bookstore distribution, where did you sell your first three? Do smaller publishing houses tend not to distribute to bookstores?

Thanks!

And, yep. It all depends on their particular set-up. My Montreal publisher has print books available through online bookstores and brick and mortar bookstores...but not on shelves. You would have to order them...so at Chapters, my Muse book, Summer on Fire, can be looked up on their system and ordered. It's POD (Print on Demand---when it is sold, it is printed and shipped). My Musa books, The Reasons and Sebastian's Poet, are ebooks only. They can be purchased at all online retailers...but only as ebooks.

My next two will have N.A. distribution.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
What are your thoughts on attending book conferences where you can pitch your book to an agent for fifteen-twenty minutes? I've checked some out in my city; they are quite pricey, but if the process is worth it, I'll be glad to fork out.

Conferences are great for networking, meeting like minded people and talking shop to people who understand for a weekend. I enjoy them so I go

Pitch sessions? They don't do them over here (we just collar an agent in the bar usually!) A great pitch might get your work read quicker, that is all -- if the book isn't up to snuff they won't get you an agent.

TL;DR

Do conferences because you think you'll enjoy it. Do a pitch session if you can afford it/want to. Don;t feel you have to in any way shape or form.

Reaction score
Collar an agent in the bar?? That sounds ideal! :D

Thank you for your advice, Mr Flibble (I was going to say 'Thank you, Francis', but I really like that name. :D). There will be a book fair near where I live next month and apparently a host of writers will be there so it will be good to mingle. It isn't something I've done before so it'll be interesting to see if my mingling skills are any good.

Thanks again for your response, Kevin, I was unaware of that! I am going to look into online retailers and add it to my growing list of info. Again, best of luck with your books, it must be very exciting!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I've only had the one novel published so not sure how helpful I can be, but here goes.

Represented by agent or self-published.
I had an agent for a year who was unable to sell my novel to his target market (which wasn't mine, by the way so, duh, he couldn't sell it) Good lesson though. Know your agent. I was green and thought any agent would be a good thing. Not so much. Wound up selling to a small publisher.

Sales since publication.
Good. It was first published in 2005 and is still selling, although at a much slower rate.:) I think it helped to have the book nominated for a reader's choice award because it's now on reading lists in schools and I regularly interact with students by email, they do online book reports that show up when my title is searched, etc.

Connections and/or excellent pitch.
Neither really. I had no connections whatsoever. It was sheer dogged determination to keep querying until I sold that puppy. I would not give up.

Years to break down door or instantaneous.
Years, mostly because of that one agent, who shall remain nameless. But when my editor called and told me to uncork the wine because they were publishing my book, the wait was worth it.

Social media marketing.
Didn't really use it. The novel was reviewed on Goodreads, and a few blogs, hardly any of which were instigated by me. I was asked by Michelle Moran (bestselling historical novelist) to contribute to an article for The Historical Novel Society, so got exposure that way. 'Teens Read Too' also reviewed it. Because I knew my novel was going to be in schools, I sent a copy of my cover and back blurb to libraries all over the country and let them know when my publisher's catalog would be out. In Canada, authors receive a small annual stipend based on the number of times their books are found in libraries. I continue to receive the top dollar amount as they're still finding it in most sampled libraries every year.

Advice.
Educate yourself, like you're doing. I'd have saved myself a lot of time and grief if I'd been more familiar with agents and publishers.
Be tenacious. Don't give up.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

I have an agent.

Pretty well, I think. I mean, I earned out my advance and the book is still out there, plugging along. There are six foreign versions, too!

I didn't know anybody in the industry when I started querying. It was a matter of pitching and failing, and refining both the work and the pitch until it stuck.

I spent years working on being a better writer. Once I developed an idea that I was able to tackle with more practiced skill, it went fairly quickly. (And still, that was almost two years from my agent offering representation to seeing the book on the shelf.)

I enjoy social media, but have some pretty strict self-guidelines about not over-flogging my work there. That gets tedious fast.

Blessedly, my publisher handles the marketing and promotion programs. I have no expertise in that area whatsoever. I am energetic, compliant, and grateful in their care. I nod and smile and do what they tell me to do.

Read a lot to make yourself a better writer. Sometimes finish a book you hate to better understand what you don't want to do. Learn about the industry here on AW. Be patient and thorough. And hang in there - cultivate your writer friendships, online and in real life, and don't drive your non-writer friends crazy with this stuff! It makes no sense to normal people.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'm really curious to know from published authors on here the processes they took to break into the industry.

Always a good idea to ask those who know. :) There will be many differences on paths, so having as much knowledge as possible is always helpful.

I have been browsing this website for hours at a time and I've noticed that many users who were discussing pitching work several years ago are now enjoying a degree of success with their published works. (And congratulations, by the way!)

AW has been hugely useful to many people in their career. It's one of the few sites out there where the members really want to help others and aren't jealous of the success of others. We're all bestsellers in training, even if the bestselling status and rewards has been achieved. :)

I'm represented by the brilliant and lovely Merrilee Heifetz of Writers House. I'm lucky to have her. I know this because I did try to go it alone. I didn't fail, because I sold a book on my own to a well-established small press, but the things I've learned from her can't even be expressed in words. The best way I can describe it is: imagine that you have the funds to have a permanent, trustworthy and professional housekeeper and gardener on your staff. You don't have to worry about paying them unless and until you get your paycheck. But every day when you get home from a long day, your house is immaculate and your yard looks like a showplace.

Yes, you can clean your own house, and yes, you can pull your own weeds and the work will still get done. But you don't have to, and they do a far better job because it IS their job. It's not a slap-dash, "as much as I can do today" performance. It's perfect every day.

In a good agent relationship, that's how it works. I don't have to worry about chasing the publisher for money, or my next book deals. My books have sold in foreign countries without my input. They've sold to audio rights companies and are shopped to other media producers. It just happens and I reap the benefit (after her cut, of course. ;) )

Quite well. I've earned through all but one of my contracts (20 books and counting, usually in 3-4 book contracts) and will probably earn out on the final contract shortly. I wrote them with a co-author, and with the earnings split in half, I've still managed to make over a quarter million dollars in about 10 years.

Hmm...a little of both, I guess. My foot in the door was another author liking my book and recommending it to HER agent, who became my agent. So that definitely helped. But it was happenstance, too, so not really an answer to your question. But since I became published, contacts are EVERYTHING! Meet and greet meetings with people at conventions/conferences, being on panels with people, meeting fans and other agents and editors. All very useful, and much easier to meet once you have your own agent and publisher. ;) You're not a hopeful person, looking to score. You're a peer.

For me, slightly instantaneous. I didn't have to beat down the door.

I'm okay with it. I'm not a social person, but I connect well with people online. I prefer forums, like here, to the "shouting into the darkness" of Facebook or Blogs. Twitter is better because it's more a chat room with people actually living and talking back to you.

Spend the time to make every word on every page the best it can be. Edit until your fingers bleed. Editors at publishers don't have the time to babysit your grammar, punctuation or spelling. "The story is everything" only applies to an editor or agent with a ton of time to spend. I've talked to more than one editor about this, and the general opinion is that if they have two prospective manuscripts and one is great and ready for the shelf and one could be amazing with a ton of help, they'll probably pick the shelf-ready one and send an encouraging rejection to the possible amazing one. :Shrug: It's a business. It's just the way it is. Because if you don't care . . . why should they? Or the reader, for that matter.

I'm really trying to increase my knowledge of the industry in every possible way - been researching agents, publishers, buying copies of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, reading blogs on what agents are looking for, looking out for writers conferences, entering competitions - and, of course, writing. Any thoughts from published writers would be enormously helpful.

Those are my best thoughts. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Thank you for your advice, Mr Flibble (I was going to say 'Thank you, Francis', but I really like that name. :D).

me too, and you are welcome

There will be a book fair near where I live next month and apparently a host of writers will be there so it will be good to mingle.

Which one? I'm at a couple in the Smoke in August. I could teach you the art of collaring people in the bar to pitch to. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.