• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Champagne Book Group

MRutan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanierutan.com
Although, Champagne is located in Canada, they do distribute to the U.S.

I know that a new author starts out with e-books and after they sell so many e-books they're put into print. I'm not sure how many books you have to sell first though.

Melanie

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I know that a new author starts out with e-books and after they sell so many e-books they're put into print. I'm not sure how many books you have to sell first though.

Melanie

I hope to see that clause in the contract if I get one. But it's so hard to track sales when you don't receive a statement for three months. I wish I could peek into that scenario! You can be a bestseller and only sell five books.

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, guys... they offered me a contract. No mention of how many books before going to print, but they do have a slot for a publication deadline. I realize it's important to work closely with an editor and return the changes promptly, and the editor must also respond quickly and be very clear about any changes in order for the deadlines to be met. I don't know which editor will be assigned to me yet.

I expected a rejection with an invitation to resubmit because some of my characters behave in an unexpected manner for a romance. When I start working with the editor, I expect her to point out any anomalies. I'll trust her and cooperate to the best of my ability.

Okay, I'm heading over to Goals and Accomplishments. Ta Ta!

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, Chumplet! Congratulations!

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, guys... they offered me a contract. No mention of how many books before going to print, but they do have a slot for a publication deadline. I realize it's important to work closely with an editor and return the changes promptly, and the editor must also respond quickly and be very clear about any changes in order for the deadlines to be met. I don't know which editor will be assigned to me yet.

I expected a rejection with an invitation to resubmit because some of my characters behave in an unexpected manner for a romance. When I start working with the editor, I expect her to point out any anomalies. I'll trust her and cooperate to the best of my ability.

Okay, I'm heading over to Goals and Accomplishments. Ta Ta!

Good luck! Ellen and I got along nicely. We did decide to withdraw the contract because there was a previous short story using the character from another publisher. Ellen felt it was too risky for her to publish, and the book is very edgy for her.

I have arranged a print publication of the book -- that makes moot the short story since only digital rights were involved in that sale.

Ellen and I parted amicably.

Regards,
Scott

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

EZP merged back with Champagne. As to ESP being a vanity press, I don't think it was. I submitted to them and there was no discussion of fees in any way, shape or form. I did enter into a contract with Champage, but that fell through because i had published an e-short story using the same character before and Ellen and her lawyer decided that might be improper.

The book is sold to Blu Phi'er for print only so the e-rights are moot for the book publication.

Regards,

Scott

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I was ready to offer a drive-by, too.

I visited Champagne's site and took a look at the books offered. One is called Celtic Heart.

Years ago, a friend gave me a book by that title that he'd found on a park bench. I forced myself to read it and grew more hot and bothered with every chapter. Nothing like shifting Celtic tribes to areas occupied by other tribes! I suppose most people wouldn't know how the author had fouled up on her research. I'm not sure if this is the same book Champagne is offering. If it is, I wouldn't touch any of their books with a 10-foot pole because they obviously don't check the author's research.

BeeBomb

Registered
Reaction score
Duped, EZP Publishing published my book. However, EZP no longer exists as it was a subsidary of Champagne Books and is now a part of its parent company. I had no problem with EZP as everything was done to the letter and don't mind being the only person published by the company.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Authors should check places like Amazon for Titles before giving their novel a title, and a good publisher might do just that and make suggestions to the author if the Title appears many times on the list.
I would not want my book listed on page ten, fifteen or out of sight. I want it right up front where people don't have to search through many pages to find it.

Jennifer Robins

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My romantic suspense novel, Bad Ice, is slated for e-release on July 1st with Champagne Books. Since signing the contract last fall, Ellen has decided that all e-books will be released in print a few months after initial release, not just the ones with higher sales.

I'm hopeful that sales will be plentiful anyway!

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone offer an update?

Can anyone offer an update on their experience with Champagne Books? I noticed on their site that they refuse to allow anyone a look at their contract. While that is certainly their option, it throws a red flag up for me. So, I went in search of someone to tell me about their contract. Here's the information I found:
  1. It's for a full 3 years
  2. They don't pay royalties quarterly, they pay them bi-annually
  3. Their royalty percentage is a lot less than most publishers are offering--though I have not found out what that percentage is
I was considering submitting to them, but am now having concerns. Can anyone who's published with them in the last year give me some feedback?

Thanks!

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I was considering submitting to them, but am now having concerns. Can anyone who's published with them in the last year give me some feedback?
It all depends on what you expect out of the experience, I suppose. My book was published this past September, so I haven't had the opportunity that some may have had.

Publicity is mostly up to you as the author, as with most publishers who utilize POD. Champagne does seek out, from what I can tell, some mass publicity events (mostly online) which the author can attend and promote their work. They may do some promotion behind the scenes, but I'm not aware of it.

Pricing is decent, and what I would consider reasonable.

They edit their books, and have tremendous cover artists, from what I've seen.

Distribution has been rather hit and miss from what I've seen. Some titles seem to get stocked in bookstores, and others don't. I don't know if there's a reason for this, or if it's a matter of local bookstore manager preference.

So, as I mentioned, it really is all about what you're expecting out of the experience. I personally don't mind doing most of my own publicity, but feel I would have a little more success if the distribution was more steady.

I've had a fun time myself, though...ymmv.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Given what is available at similar presses, sales of at least 300 or so copies in the first year would seem reasonable with an e/POD. Whether Champagne tends to deliver this or not I could not say....

Last edited:

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Royalties are 35% on site for e-books, and 30% off-site. I can't remember whether it's net or gross. It seems to be on par with other e-pubs.

I was told their average sales are in the hundreds out of the gate, then 50 or so per year afterward. I have yet to see what my first sales were, but I was number one for a number of weeks on the website. We shall see...

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Chumplet good luck with the sales of your book. Please keep us informed.

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
My book was published this past September

Distribution has been rather hit and miss from what I've seen. Some titles seem to get stocked in bookstores, and others don't. I don't know if there's a reason for this, or if it's a matter of local bookstore manager preference.

I would have a little more success if the distribution was more steady.

I've had a fun time myself, though...ymmv.

AstonWest, I'm curious as to why you think distribution was not even across the board. Do you suppose writers with their second or third book are getting better distribution because they're proven? Or is there another reason?

Thank you for your response. :hi:

Bea@WritersWall

Registered
Reaction score
I was told their average sales are in the hundreds out of the gate, then 50 or so per year afterward. I have yet to see what my first sales were, but I was number one for a number of weeks on the website. We shall see...

Chumplet, congrats on the weeks at 1.

Is there a reason you don't know what your sales totals are? When did your book come out? Have you not received royalty statements at all since release?

Thanks! :hi: