• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bob Mecoy Literary Agency (formerly Creative Book Services)

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to announce that I signed with Bob Mecoy a few weeks ago.

I submitted my full manuscript on a Friday, he read it over the weekend, and called the following Monday. Since the manuscript is very long, we talked about how it would be broken up into three volumes. He asked that I go ahead and do that and resubmit, which I did. Two weeks later he offered representation.

I have so far found him very personable, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with my work.

Oh, and I write fantasy. He is most definitely looking for good fantasy.

Congrats! This is wonderful news.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
So I am confused as to why there seems to be such a significant mismatch between what kind of projects Bob Mecoy is taking on and what the information sources say he is taking on. Any thoughts?

ronempress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronempress.blogspot.com
I continue to have problems with queries (maybe?) not going through. Can anyone tell me if he has an autoresponder? I queried in January and received no response. Forgot I queried him and accidentally resent it this morning. I'm reading "Lion of Cairo" right now by Scott Oden and I have to say, if this is the sort of story Mecoy likes I think he'd be interested in my book. I just have no idea if he's received my queries....

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
He doesn't have an auto-responder, but he seems to get back to you real quick. I think it's safe to assume he didn't get the first query.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
I queried him recently and will assume a "pass" after 2 weeks. I base my expectations on querytracker stats showing he's far more likely not to respond unless interested, and if he responds, he usually does so within 2 wks.

Hope this helps,
kap

siouxnyc

Registered
Reaction score
bob was my agent for a while. he responds to queries quickly, especially if he likes them.

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
bob was my agent for a while. he responds to queries quickly, especially if he likes them.

I got a very fast response to my query--overnight. That was in... November, I think. Haven't heard a word from him since, though, so am assuming it's an R on the full.

Sandsurfgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm going to add to the thumbs up for Bob Mecoy. He responded to my query the next day with an R, but he gave me some really valuable advice and feedback. So quick and helpful is great.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I got a very fast response to my query--overnight. That was in... November, I think. Haven't heard a word from him since, though, so am assuming it's an R on the full.

Maybe. But he gets very busy. It probably wouldn't hurt to give him a nudge.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why consider it a rejection at all, miamyselfandi? Bob Mecoy's a one man show, so no need to worry about simul-querying multiple agents in the same agency. If you don't hear from him, why not just let it lie, while knowing you can still be sure to let him know if you get an offer? (I'm not suggesting you shouldn't nudge--I think you should--I've just never considered a requested submission to be a rejection until it was actually rejected... except for agents I notified about an offer of rep who didn't respond, of course, and those became happily moot by default.)

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
beths and giant baby-- thanks for the feedback. I've nudged and haven't heard anything back. Twice, I think. Technically I don't consider it a rejection; I have a list I'm keeping over on querytracker and he's still on it as an open submission. But realistically I'm not expecting it to go anywhere. In essence, I agree with both of you.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. He's working on selling the next one now.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if he's sold anything recently?

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
More than a year, enough time to write another book.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
According to Publishers Marketplace, in April of this year he sold a mystery/crime novel (a two-package deal, actually) and a non-fiction book on investing.

ebenstone

Registered
Reaction score
Sent a e-query last night about 9:30, partial request this morning. I'll let y'all know.

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
I sent him a query on 8/4...no response. Everyone else seems to have had a quick response...should I send again?