• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to respond to pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm not really sure where to ask this so I'm sorry if it should go elsewhere.

Received two offers from smaller publishers on my romance novel recently, I also had a full out with one of my top picks so I requested two weeks on the two that sent offers and told the top pick of the offers.

She got back to me and said she would like some fairly small changes, if I'm willing to do them "she'd like to move forward with my novel".

Does this mean a revise and resubmit or is she saying if I say yes she'll send the contract? The other two companies sent a contract with the offer so I'm a little confused.

Is it ok to ask? They know I have another offer, so they shouldn't be stringing me along if they are unsure right?

Sorry, I'm new to this and I'm probably over thinking it and making it more complicated than it need be.

ssbittner

scientist, artist, writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ssbittner.com
I would think it's okay to ask for clarification. If they aren't willing to give it to you, I would see that as a red flag and not want to work with them.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
My acquiring editor used similar language when offering a contract. I had no idea if she was offering or not.

If that's your top pick, I'd suggest emailing back and let her know you are interested and ask what's next. If she says R&R, you can take the chance on that, or get back to her and let her know you have received a firm offer and have chosen to move on with that instead. Make sure you thank her for her time and input, and let her know you'd be interested in working with her on another project.

If she offers a contract, Try to review that contract before declining the other publishers. If the pub terms are not to your liking, you'll still have the other two doors open. Remember you don't want to keep the other publishers dangling too long, so be aware of your time restraints.

Congratulations!

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
Fairly small changes would incline me more to think it's an offer rather than an R&R. An R&R would usually be more extensive changes. Some changes would be expected anyway as part of your editing with the publisher. But the only way to know for sure is to ask, I'm afraid. If you're new to all of it, say so and say you're unsure what she means. They should be sympathetic to that fact. Everyone was new to the game once. It does sound very vague, which is no good even for people who've had several sales, never mind someone working on their first. If you're willing to do the changes say so, but definitely find out on what terms. With firm offers from two others it's a risk to take a chance on an R&R.

Ellie_2014

Registered
Reaction score
To me, it seems more like an offer, but there's no harm in asking for clarification.

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the responses guys!

I did say I was happy to do the suggested changes (which are only to the small prologue) and asked what the next step would be. She said she'd spoke with the senior editor extensively about my story, and the next step would be a contract offer, so we'll see.

If anyone needs me I'll be in the corner chewing my nails to the quick and pulling my hair out till the friday deadline.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a prelude to an offer. The official offer will involve a monetary amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.