• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Favourite Villains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skawt

Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily a novel villain, but my favorite is Hexadecimal from the Children's show "Reboot."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39qguXmm0I

She was such a great character it was though the writers had no choice but to turn her into a protagonist / anti-hero.

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
There are villains I praise as excellent writing because they are threatening and evil without ever being too over-the-top to write off as just a story. In this category, I'd include Lord of the Flies' Jack and 1984's O'Brien. Any comeuppances they may get are double-edged and unsatisfying by design, but I end up devouring the stories anyway just to see how the heroes cope with and survive them... if they do.

However, the villains I really love- the ones I read again and again, that I take notes on, that I might have a shelf in my house dedicated to, trend towards being morally gray, if not straight-up morally blue-and-orange. They have motives I can understand even when they take them in the strangest of directions, unique methods, and a whole lot of presence. I know I'll forget somebody, but a few of these guys include...

The Terrible Trivium, The Phantom Tollbooth. A soft-spoken monster who confronts bypassers on the road, solicits their help with a mix of flattery and affected vulnerability, and then literally bores them to death. Aside from the way he uses manipulation and flattery rather than brute force, dude weaponized boredom and made intense reading out of it. How cool is that?

Sir Francis Varney, Varney the Vampyre: An undead robber and con-artist, charming without being scrubbed or idealized, Varney is a villain... but because of what he does with his vampirism rather than the vampirism itself being shorthand for evil. He's not hard to sympathize with, as he genuniely regrets it when he goes too far, but he's never romanticized.

Erik, The Phantom of the Opera. The threat of losing his favorite diva drives Erik to extremes that all but ensure the very outcome he intends to prevent. He's not really cruel, just so obsessed with getting Christine to stay he doesn't think two minutes beyond that goal (hence the ending where he realizes what he's doing and stops pursuing her of his own volition).

Xayide, The Neverending Story. Tries to exploit Fantastica's rules to replace the Childlike Empress, using outsiders to gain entry to the Ivory Tower, even though the things they have to do to get there will erode their minds and trap them in Fantastica forever. She's such a legitimate threat the heroes are still suffering the effects of the plan she's put into motion after she dies.

Non-book:

Kefka Palazzo, Final Fantasy VI. For all his ostentation, the thing that really set Kefka apart for me is his progression. He starts out a funny goldfish poop character with brief moments of horrible cruelty, but as the game goes on, those moments of cruelty get longer and closer together, the jokes that punctuate them growing increasingly mean-spirited.

Cobra Commander: He started out wanting revenge for the death of his brother, and it spiralled so far out of control, he couldn't stop it if he wanted to. Admitting that would be tantamount to defeat, so he goes with it, and he brings such a heaping helping of eccentricity watching his plots unfold is equal parts watching a genius at work and watching a train wreck.

TroubleEntendre

Registered
Reaction score
Maleficent: the greatest villain there ever was or ever will be. I'm talking about the original version from the animated film, not the recent adaptation.

In her original form, she's cruel, cunning, and completely at ease with herself. She curses a child to die because she wasn't invited to the baby shower. She calls upon "all the forces of Hell" like it's no big deal. When she captures Prince Charming, she doesn't kill him, she throws him in a cell and tells him he'll be safe and sound until she releases him as an old man, too feeble and gray to take his revenge. She curses an entire kingdom--men, women, children, animals--to ruin and decay because she was a little annoyed with them.

She does all of this in a children's movie.

Maleficent doesn't want to find redemption, doesn't need inner angst or a tragic backstory. She's already self-actualized into the version of herself she finds most interesting. She is powerful on her own terms, and makes no apologize about what she is, even as she bluntly acknowledges the depths of her own evil.

When (ignorant, misguided) people assert that the only way to write a compelling villain is to make them the hero in their own eyes, I can only think that they have a very limited pool of villains that they are referring to. Either that, or they missed the point of Maleficent's characterization, which is that evil can be compelling on its own terms. She didn't--and doesn't--need any excuses for her behavior. Confidence, a sense of humor, and a complete dedication to wickedness were all she needed to run away with that movie.

Because really, Sleeping Beauty is about her. Name the Prince and Princess without looking them up. Describe their dominant personality traits.

You (probably) can't. Because they're barely characters. Or, if they are complete characters, they are characters who struggle to get out from under the shadow of the flick's omnipresent bad girl.

Maleficent is the Best Villain. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Maleficent: the greatest villain there ever was or ever will be. I'm talking about the original version from the animated film, not the recent adaptation.

Oh yes -- when I was a little kid, I loved her. (I remember paying a nickel to get into the theater!) I doubt I saw any of the nuances; I think what drew me was her total self-confidence.

Darth Vader is pretty similar, when we first see him.

Lilfairy

Enjoying insanity
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your comments. Its really useful getting other perspectives on this topic from other writers.

Do you think it's necessary to divulge the villain's history if it's not really relevant to the main plot? If there's some connection between the hero and the villain it would need to be explained at some point, but, if there isn't, does it matter?

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Call me cliched if you will, but I like a villain of breath-taking evil. Sure, misunderstood or villains who think of themselves as heroes have their place, but a bad guy who knows they are a monster but doesn't really care? There's just something I find fun about that, from a writer's perspective. Of course, the caveat is he actually has to be evil. You can't really just say he's evil and not back that up.

Thanks for all of your comments. Its really useful getting other perspectives on this topic from other writers.

Do you think it's necessary to divulge the villain's history if it's not really relevant to the main plot? If there's some connection between the hero and the villain it would need to be explained at some point, but, if there isn't, does it matter?

No. You might want to drop tidbits, but I don't need to know their life story if it isn't relevant. I don't care if they stared into the void and went mad or they scraped their knee when they were 12 and swore revenge on the world, if it's not relevant then it isn't relevant.

TroubleEntendre

Registered
Reaction score

I wouldn't. Some of the most effective villains are the ones we don't know much about. The Joker, for example, has never had a reliable backstory. In his best incarnations, this is deliberately played up.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
The Joker, absolutely.
Also, Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7.

I saw someone mention Jack Torrence from The Shining. I prefer the 'other' villian from that book, the Overlook Hotel itself. It just had so much history, and so much power, yet it was so subtle that most people forget it's every bit as much a character as Jack and Danny.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
I LOVED Darth Vader . . . until he took off his mask. I'm still mad about that.

Didn't please me much either. :mad:

Who is the most memorable character in the original Star Wars? Did you realise Vader has only 8 minutes of screen time?! That's an impact.

Uh, . . . . . I just realized something. :D

That you don't like naked villains? ;)

But WM makes a good point. Sometimes it's not just the confident evil that attracts, it's often also the mysterious evil.

Or possibly the well-dressed evil.

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Call me cliched if you will, but I like a villain of breath-taking evil. Sure, misunderstood or villains who think of themselves as heroes have their place, but a bad guy who knows they are a monster but doesn't really care? There's just something I find fun about that, from a writer's perspective. Of course, the caveat is he actually has to be evil. You can't really just say he's evil and not back that up.

I'll have to agree with you there. I love villains who are "evil". They would terrify me even more than conflicted ones, but you know they probably won't change and they'll do ANYTHING to get what they want.

BOOKS
Queen Andais (Merry Gentry series by Laurell K. Hamilton): I liked her because she was just so... mean? Evil? XD She's a sexual sadist who loves drawing blood and giving severe torture. She condemned her guards to celibacy, which lasted for hundreds of years-because fae can live FOREVER. Also, she can hear anything said in the dark and can draw the air out of a room. That's scary, and terrible. :p

OTHER
ArachnePhobia said:
Kefka Palazzo, Final Fantasy VI. For all his ostentation, the thing that really set Kefka apart for me is his progression. He starts out a funny goldfish poop character with brief moments of horrible cruelty, but as the game goes on, those moments of cruelty get longer and closer together, the jokes that punctuate them growing increasingly mean-spirited.

Korax from Hexen: Beyond Heretic: This is a villain you don't actually know about, but the thing I love most about him is how he taunts you at the beginning of each level. In the first game is brother was killed by the hero, and now it's his turn to have the spotlight. His confidence is amazing.

Oh, sympathetic characters include...
Ghaleon from Lunar (game series)

Duke Pantarei from Tales of Vesperia (game)

This is all I can think of, lols.

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
The weeping angels from Doctor Who. Those things are terrifying.

RN Hill

Registered
Reaction score
Kansas -- the part with some decent driving roads.
Last year at a writing conference, I heard a really good session on what makes a great antagonist. The speaker said one thing that still resonates with me: "The protagonist's story is only as interesting as the antagonist makes it." In other words, your antagonist must be every bit as strong -- maybe even stronger -- than your protagonist. Just as cunning. Just as brave. Just as determined, wealthy . . . whatever.

Also, the speaker said something else that stayed with me: "In real life, no one thinks they're the villain." I'm not so sure this one is 100% -- I can think of plenty of people who know they're the villain, but simply don't care -- but your antagonist has to want something, and you need to give them good reasons to be the way they are. To do that, we need some back story, yes.

One of my favorite villains was "The Outsider" in Dean Koontz's Watchers. It was terrifying; I definitely didn't want it to win; but I sympathized with it anyway. Koontz has a knack for writing antagonists, most of the time.

Villains who are sociopaths don't interest me.

guttersquid

I agree with Roxxsmom.
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorites is Francis Dolarhyde ("The Tooth Fairy") in Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.

What Harris did was brilliant. He introduces us to Dolarhyde only by showing us the aftermath of his horrible crimes as the protagonist, Will Graham, examines the crime scenes. Through Graham's eyes we come to know Dolarhyde as a true monster. This takes up the first half of the book.

But in the second half we learn Dolarhyde's story, and we begin to see that the monster is to be pitied as much as he is feared.

LOTLOF

Registered
Reaction score
The characters I love the most are flawed heroes and villains with some sort of redeeming characteristic. In real life NO ONE is ever completely good or evil. Unlike in cheesy comics or paperbacks people never go around gleefully proclaiming they're evil. No matter how much blood they may have on their hands everyone sees themselves as the hero in their own story. Indeed, very often it's a question of perspective whether or not someone is the hero or villain.

I loved Doctor Doom of Marvel Comics and Raistlin of the Dragonlance series. Both characters could be quite ruthless and could kill people without hesitation. Yet, both had things they cared about and lines they would not cross. Doom would sooner die than lie or break a promise. Raistlin cared about the truly helpless, and could be surprisingly merciful to certain people.

The best villains are people. They have things they care about and vulnerabilities. Try to make your victims fully fleshed out and you will avoid the usual clichés.

Tyler Silvaris

Master of the Shadowcloak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Best Villain Ever

Maleficent is the Best Villain. No ifs, ands, or buts.

In general, I agree. I have always viewed Maleficent as a sort of 'manifestation of evil' character far more captivating even than most attempts by mythologies to depict the same concept. She doesn't wrestle with her position and no one doubts her. She says she is Evil, and to paraphrase Hiccup {movie version} "Do I believe her? Yes I do."

Tyler Silvaris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
This is something I have a strong position on. I have had this conversation with nearly every storyteller I've ever worked with, be they traditional writers or Game Masters for role-playing games.
Every aspect of a story; it's environment, it's history, but especially it's characters; run the risk of seeming out of sync if they don't exist as part of the world the story is in. Many characters, regardless of their impact on the story, become clichés because they are empty and disconnected.
Example: Many stories inevitably feature a capture/escape or capture/rescue sequence. "We'll sneak in to the palace, rescue Princess Tiff, fight our way through 200 guards, and be home in time for tea...right?" In some stories, this is exactly what happens. The heroes overcome impossible odds because...well...they're the freakin' heroes. More creative stories feature the point where some character, from the palace butler to the captain of the guard, who has the chance to stop the escape, but then let's the heroes go. I've seen cases where this goes unexplained, as though the writer were saying "I have no clue how they're getting out... so here's this guy. Roal the Barbarian would have been boiled in acid if not for the sudden nice guard on watch."
Now, if that guard had even two paragraphs of history, the reader sees the scene differently. When we find out the guard's wife was killed in the king's latest mad scheme and that he sees in the hero's efforts something of the king before he turned evil... well, now that guard belongs in the scene and his actions (which he knows will probably get him killed, but for the greater good) make sense.
More importantly to me, everything should have a story within the story, but that doesn't mean you have to show it in detail. Just knowing the history of your star villain gives you insight into the villain's psyche and personality. It changes how you write their appearances and actions, affects the type of descriptors you use, and how you react to this character as a writer. All that, believe it or not, will be evident to the reader. Even if they don't know what exactly drove the king to evil, they will see that there is a story there and he isn't just a cookie-cutter "evil tyrant" for plot purposes of hooking up Roal and Princess Tiff. He'll act like he's part of the world, react to things around him, because at least YOU know where he's coming from, even if the reader doesn't.

Last edited:

Tyler Silvaris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I loved Doctor Doom of Marvel Comics and Raistlin of the Dragonlance series. Both characters could be quite ruthless and could kill people without hesitation. Yet, both had things they cared about and lines they would not cross. Doom would sooner die than lie or break a promise. Raistlin cared about the truly helpless, and could be surprisingly merciful to certain people.

Raistlin Majere is the man that taught me not every character has to be entirely Good or Evil. Some characters exist in shades of Gray. He also taught me that some of the best characters out there are never quite sure where they are, morally speaking, because life is too complex to just pick a side.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
-- Morgoth

-- His Lieutenant, Sauron

Do you find out more about Sauron in some of Tolkien's other Middle Earth stuff? I only read Lord of the Rings, and I thought Sauron was the most boring, one-dimensional villain I've ever read. We never really found out anything about him.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
If it helps, just come up with a character like any other & create a reason for them to continue getting ever deeper at odds with the heroes. Kind of like the villains from the last couple of seasons of The Walking Dead, or Game of Thrones, among others.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Do you find out more about Sauron in some of Tolkien's other Middle Earth stuff? I only read Lord of the Rings, and I thought Sauron was the most boring, one-dimensional villain I've ever read. We never really found out anything about him.

Sauron is basically a corrupted maiar, think Saruman. Istari or wizards, as also maiar if I'm remembering right. Even he didn't start out truly evil and that's what makes him interesting.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Korax from Hexen: Beyond Heretic: This is a villain you don't actually know about, but the thing I love most about him is how he taunts you at the beginning of each level. In the first game is brother was killed by the hero, and now it's his turn to have the spotlight. His confidence is amazing.

A cousin of the cyberdemon. :D With these critters, it's all about the fear. Your fear; they haven't any.

Status
Not open for further replies.