• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

"Curly" quotation marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
I don't suppose anyone knows of a writing app for the iPad that allows you to use "curly" quotation marks when writing text?

It's frustrating to have one set of marks when writing on the iPad and another set when exporting the document to a computer.

Secondly, is there a way to quickly swap "straight" marks to "curly" ones?

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I do a search for " and replace with ". That will replace straight marks with curly if curly is the default for the font you are using.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's better to have smart quotes turned off, even on the computer.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Have turned off smart quotes for 10 years now. We hates it, precious.

DanLett

Registered
Reaction score
Basic rule of thumb for me is always write with straight quotes, leave curly for the typesetter. Sure, they look nicer, but words (and punctuation) are tools for us, not ornaments, and they should be precise, interchangeable, and dependable.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea as to the difference, other than the fact that one is presumably curly.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I would suggest turning off "smart (curly) quotes" as some publishers are going to request "straight quotes" only. Some don't care, but of those that do, I've never seen a preference for smart quotes, so it's easier/safer to get used to going without.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I have no idea as to the difference, other than the fact that one is presumably curly.

Curly quotes attempt to differentiate between what is actually opening and closing as well as curling prettily. This can lead to some unfortunate formatting snafus if you use something to end your dialog that the word processor doesn't recognize as terminal punctuation. I seem to remember having issues with speech that ended with an "m-dash" (to indicate that the speaker was suddenly cut off) getting a second opening quote that curled to the right for instance, when I had curlies turned on.

Some internet applications also don't recognize them, so if you copy paste to some web forms, or into e-mail (which you may have to do when submitting to agents), they may be converted into strange characters.

http://timourrashed.com/smart-quotes-in-word-why-theyre-a-problem-and-what-to-do-about-them/

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Smart quotes tend to be produced by proprietary code and sometimes render as rubbish that's hard to read past. Straight quotes are unobtrusive and generally supported.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
Curly quotes attempt to differentiate between what is actually opening and closing as well as curling prettily. This can lead to some unfortunate formatting snafus if you use something to end your dialog that the word processor doesn't recognize as terminal punctuation. I seem to remember having issues with speech that ended with an "m-dash" (to indicate that the speaker was suddenly cut off) getting a second opening quote that curled to the right for instance, when I had curlies turned on.

Some internet applications also don't recognize them, so if you copy paste to some web forms, or into e-mail (which you may have to do when submitting to agents), they may be converted into strange characters.

http://timourrashed.com/smart-quotes-in-word-why-theyre-a-problem-and-what-to-do-about-them/

Oh, I know those things.
I solved the whole issue with them getting themselves the wrong way around by simply typing them both, then going back into them and typing the text.

I've very surprised this is an issue which is so prevalent that an explanation wasn't needed in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.