• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Am I writing Limited 3rd correctly? May I post a sample?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phrenic

Registered
Reaction score
Some of my earlier writing was mixing omniscient and 3rd limited. Learning nuances of POV has been hard, so I wrote a 245 word rough draft and would like to post it. I only want to know if I am writing 3rd limited correctly. No grammar, punctuation, passive voice, blah blah.

Is this the correct place and is it ok to post that here? Or must I wait for 50 posts first?

I'm newish to AW and don't want to break forum rules.

I will post it, if consensus is positive.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Methinks it would be best to get your fifty in first; I suspect this would be considered asking for critique -- even though what you're asking is limited and specific. You'll have those racked up in no time if you keep participating. You'll find a smoother road with it if you go ahead and crit some other writers in your genre first, too.

Good luck!

Phrenic

Registered
Reaction score
Methinks it would be best to get your fifty in first; I suspect this would be considered asking for critique -- even though what you're asking is limited and specific. You'll have those racked up in no time if you keep participating. You'll find a smoother road with it if you go ahead and crit some other writers in your genre first, too.

Good luck!

Thanks. Once I reach 50, is this the correct forum to address my issue?

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Limited third is actually quite simple. The narrator can only report those things that the POV character senses, thinks, and feels (emotionally). There are more nuances to it that you'll learn as you gain experience, but on the surface, that's all there really is to it.

If you want to switch to a different POV character, you can do it at the end of a chapter or with a scene break (usually denoted with a single centered # in a manuscript).

Don't switch characters without warning. That's head-hopping, and it is frowned upon by publishers in today's market.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Don't switch characters without warning. That's head-hopping, and it is frowned upon by publishers in today's market.

This, reiterated. And it isn't just because it is "frowned upon by publishers in today's market." It's because it tends to confuse and irritate readers, which is why publishers (and editors) frown upon it.

In addition, do not succumb to the temptation to switch narrative POV because it's "convenient." Do the hard work of learning how to construct effective narrative. A big part of that is reading a lot of good writers, while paying attention to how they do things.

caw

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
This, reiterated. And it isn't just because it is "frowned upon by publishers in today's market." It's because it tends to confuse and irritate readers, which is why publishers (and editors) frown upon it.

Yes, it really does confuse readers. I've read otherwise good books that frustrate me because the author employed head-hopping. I made the statement about today's market because you see a lot more of it in older books.

Phrenic

Registered
Reaction score
So here is an example sentence I just made up, but is constructed similarly to the one I received criticism.

The politician sat at his desk, picking up a Benoit pen. The cool, cross-plated cylinder sent shivers up his fingers, causing Barry to drop it on the floor.

Ok, not stellar writing, but the critique said that in 3rd person limited the MC would not refer to himself as a politician. So, I know this is 3rd person, but is it omniscient if not limited? It starts distant and focuses in on 2nd sentence.

Thanks for any clarification.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Here's how you'd write that section in third-limited.

Seated at his desk, Barry picked up a Benoit pen. The cool, cross-plated cylinder sent shivers up his fingers, and he dropped it on the floor.

If you're writing in third person, you'll have to find some other way to state that he's a politician. Chances are it will become apparent through context anyway.

Phrenic

Registered
Reaction score
Here's how you'd write that section in third-limited.

Seated at his desk, Barry picked up a Benoit pen. The cool, cross-plated cylinder sent shivers up his fingers, and he dropped it on the floor. Piece of junkyard crap.

So, where I added 'Piece of junkyard crap.', that would be Barry's internal voice, and keeping in 3rd limited, correct?

Any of the five sensations the character feels or an internal thought is okay? Or do I write: Piece of junkyard crap, he thought.

Or, can I leave off 'he thought', because the phrase is attributed to Barry because of context?
This is the nuance I'm trying to understand, these little phrases the MC thinks, or I'll see a sentence followed by a declamatory thought, like Blah blah blah. Damn. Blah blah blah.
I hope I'm explaining myself well.

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the politician reference. Limited doesn't mean no narrator. I do realize this is a bit of a break, so it's important it be a.) worth it and, b.) earned relative to the rest of the writing around it.

Limited third is actually quite simple. The narrator can only report those things that the POV character senses, thinks, and feels (emotionally). There are more nuances to it that you'll learn as you gain experience, but on the surface, that's all there really is to it.

One of those nuances is that sensing, thinking, and (to an extent) feeling are all really weak verbs, a problem limited 3rd can exacerbate. (Apologies to rwen4768 as I realize those were just provided as general guides--I'm just trying to add depth.) Verb choice is essential in limited 3rd so that it doesn't seem like we're constantly limited by the POV character. The writer has to convey the totality of the world around him or her. Filtering too often can indicate overly superficial narration, which is why it's good (as you have done, Phrenic) to use character voice to assess the world, rather than just experiencing it.

I also find POV tricky, but it's important to remember that any POV can be badly written and, well-written, almost any POV can work, including moving between them fairly frequently, although as rwm notes doing so is very jarring for readers so it has to be executed with a lot of care.

I shall now return to my grey area happily undecided about everything.

Best of luck!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, "The politician sat" hits me as omni. If you use his name, you identify him, and what he does thereafter carries the 3rd-limited POV, as long as you don't drift out of it to describe things he can't know.

You can't tell us he's a politician without it being omniscient knowledge, seems to me. In 3rd limited you can reveal what he does by . . . well, what he does. In other words, your problem may lie in what your are telling the reader, instead of revealing via narrative events. This example is a pretty good one about the "show, don't tell" mantra. In this case, that tired old shibboleth might be good advice. If that's the kind of thing you're doing in your narrative, it might explain reader reactions.

caw

Phrenic

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, "The politician sat" hits me as omni. If you use his name, you identify him, and what he does thereafter carries the 3rd-limited POV, as long as you don't drift out of it to describe things he can't know.

Two points:
1) I'm 43, grew up on Tolkien, CS Lewis, then 80's and 90's, Jordan, Goodkind, Brooks, Feist, which might explain my tendency to write omni, 90's on saw more 3rd limited. Might be generalizing, not sure.

2) So In my response to RWM, a 3rd limited could add the qualifying phrase- 'Piece of junkyard crap' - period.
Or, I could write the last part in italics - 'Damn lobbyists always buy me junkyard crap, he thought.'
Both these ways keep me in 3rd limited?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
POV is, among other technicalities, a matter of focus. As I said, the phrase "The politician sat . . . " is very distancing, reads to me like somebody observing from outside, not like having the camera on the shoulder of the character supposed to be the focus of 3rd limited narrative.

There's nothing inherently wrong with omniscient POV, and it still is done by many good writers (Jane Smiley, Terry Pratchett, to name a couple). But drifting in and out of it is simply a form of head-hopping, in my reader view. You need to make a choice of narrative POV discipline, understand what that entails, and stick to it.

caw

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
2) So In my response to RWM, a 3rd limited could add the qualifying phrase- 'Piece of junkyard crap' - period.
Or, I could write the last part in italics - 'Damn lobbyists always buy me junkyard crap, he thought.'

3rd limited:

Piece of junkyard crap.
OR
Damn lobbyists always buy me junkyard crap.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
3rd limited:

Piece of junkyard crap.
OR
Damn lobbyists always buy me junkyard crap.

This.

One of the advantages of third limited is how close you can get to the character. Once you've established that you're in Barry's POV, you don't need the thought tag. In omniscient, you do.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Two points:
1) I'm 43, grew up on Tolkien, CS Lewis, then 80's and 90's, Jordan, Goodkind, Brooks, Feist, which might explain my tendency to write omni, 90's on saw more 3rd limited. Might be generalizing, not sure.

The first one is more POV-immersive. The "he thought" actually feels like a step outside his thoughts. I'd steer clear of it, unless you have some situation where it's needed for clarity.

Last edited:

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if reading some good examples of limited third would help counter-balance your earlier experiences?

Lois McMaster Bujold is very good at it. Susan Cooper, too.

Phrenic

Registered
Reaction score
Anthony Ryan Blood Song example.

In Anthony Ryan's Blood Song. He writes from 10 year old 3rd limited point of view:

The silence and the mist made him uneasy, he didn't like the gate and the figure that sat atop it. He knew with a child's certainty that the blank eye sockets were a lie, a trick.

The bolded part, sounds omniscient to me. Otherwise, the first chapter reads like 3rd limited.

Am I correct? Does he flip into 3rd omni or is he really writing in omni, but chooses to only show Vaelin's POV. Is that a possibility?

A page later, he writes:

In later years he would see it in the faces of a thousand men and know it as an old friend: fear.

Now it really sounds omni, which reinforces my belief that the story is an omni disguised as 3rd limited.

I apologize if I am coming off as gnat, but I am trying to read books from a writer's perspective, and the above examples confuse me.

rwm4768

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...I also thought Blood Song was third limited, but those examples do seem a little omniscient.

Of course, you can write omniscient that looks like third limited. There's no rule stating that you can't focus on just one character's thoughts in omniscient.

Phrenic

Registered
Reaction score
This:
Of course, you can write omniscient that looks like third limited. There's no rule stating that you can't focus on just one character's thoughts in omniscient.

I feel more drawn to omniscient writing, especially in sweeping epics. To me it adds to a sense of weight. Perhaps A.Ryan writes omni focused on 1 POV to blunt critiques of omni?

Thanks for supporting my suspicions, RWM.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
In Anthony Ryan's Blood Song. He writes from 10 year old 3rd limited point of view

Based on this, I think the overall POV is omniscient. An omniscient narrator can go deep into a character's head, but also steps outside to comment on things from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.