What are you reading?

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
The Prydain Chronicles (or The Chronicles of Prydain) by Lloyd Alexander. Finally got around to reading these books, and they're fantastic.

Himmie

Jade Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon right now, along with Ciarán_Carson's The Táin.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I've just started McSweeney's Mammoth Treasury of Thrilling Tales edited by Michael Chabon.
I just started reading this book. Almost didn't get past Chabon's introduction because it annoyed me; he talks about his dream of having "a magazine of my own, one that would revive the lost genres of short fiction." His whole essay ignores the existence of science fiction and mystery magazines during the entire post-1950s period in which he claims short stories with plots were no longer published.

But, the stories oughta be good. One of them, "The Tears of Squonk, and What Happened Thereafter", by Glen David Gold, looks to have been inspired by the infamous Erwin, Tennessee elephant hanging of 1916. (Remarkably, not the worst thing that happened in that little town, just down the road from my home town.) It's the second story I've read that was based on that unfortunate animal execution; the other was one of Barry Hannah's stories in his collection "Airships".

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'm currently reading BadDucky's The Last Dragon.

It is nothing at all like the movie.

alpaca

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to make my way through Insurgent for a few weeks, but life (and my own writing projects) keep getting in the way of my reading life.

Otherwise, I'm reading a few business books on inbound marketing and small business, and some Kindle books -- The Queen Bee of Bridgeton by Leslie DuBois and Bound by Kira Saito.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Finished The Woman in Black in 2 days. One of the few books I haven't preferred to the movie. Decent, enjoyable, but her attempt at retro seemed forced and at times dull.

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 150 pages into Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenedes. Really enjoying it so far, though I've been so busy lately I haven't had time to read it as much as I'd like.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Not yet reading but just got in the mail, my old copy of Bickham's Writing Novels That Sell. And when I say my old copy, I mean my old copy. When I left a normal lifestyle, I donated 2000 books to charity, including my writer's library. When I went to amazon and looked for the title, that charity had a copy, and I just got it, and damned if it isn't MY copy. rotflol.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I'm reading Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles" which I last read as a mere child. I'm really enjoying it and feel bad I didn't read more while he was alive. I'm also using my copy as a "Flat Stanley" series on my tumblr.
Not yet reading but just got in the mail, my old copy of Bickham's Writing Novels That Sell. And when I say my old copy, I mean my old copy. When I left a normal lifestyle, I donated 2000 books to charity, including my writer's library. When I went to amazon and looked for the title, that charity had a copy, and I just got it, and damned if it isn't MY copy. rotflol.

I had something similar happen. I went to Half Price and I was looking at their old Sci-Fi magazines and I bought a few. One was a 1975 copy of Fantasy and Science Fiction. When I got them home, I was looking at them and the 1975 F&SF had a mailing label partially torn off. I took a good look at It and realized i could make out my name! I must have gotten rid of it years ago and it ended up there.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished No Telephone To Heaven- Michelle Cliff. About to start A Visitation of Spirits- Randall Kenan.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I could not finish P0$$3$$!0n, so I put it down. Sighs.

Instead- I read and LOVED The R@v3n B0y$ by Magg!3 St!efv@t3r - My review can be found here

Currently I'm reading "The Paris Wife" by Paula McLain. It's a historical fiction, and I really like the topic (Ernest Hemingway's first wife/marriage in 1920s Paris), but sometimes the book feels a little too...research based non fiction rather than historical fic. But still, enjoying it :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Barbara Rogan's. "Suspicion"

Scarey as hell (also witty). Ghosts, deaths and writers. What could be better?