Is this (f**king) "normal"?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco82

Registered
Reaction score
Totally normal lol. I have "creative streaks," weeks where I'll put out a lot and then dry spells. I'll have times where I can see the end, and it all connecting and others when I wonder if it will lol. We're writers, we tend to be...eccentric. I never get down in the dumps, but understand.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
I recently responded to a post asking if x was normal. I commented how we writers tend to wonder if what we're doing, or not doing, or thinking/not thinking about or worrying/not worrying about, is normal behavior. For a writer, I mean.

Then I thought, I'm a writer, so am I normal? Let me see:

1) I sit at my computer, chewing my cheeks incessantly whilst staring at the blank screen.

2) Amazing stuff flows out of me like a shit through a goose. It's a gift from God--His mind, to my hand, to keyboard, to screen. . .

It's a religious experience. Has to be.

:)

2) I love my writing.

3) I hate my writing. And hence, myself. And hence, everybody else.

4) But I care what they think.

5) Except when I don't give a crap what they think.

6) But I want to influence what they think in a deeply meaningful way.

7) I am incredibly creative.

8) I have no creativity. I can't think of any ideas. At all. My mind is a vast and barren wasteland.

9) I am a really good writer.

10) I suck.

So, what's the verdict? Normal, or ?

Questions? Comments? Concerns? :D

Oh, that is sooooo me. :D Do you have a hidden camera somwhere?

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Totally normal lol. I have "creative streaks," weeks where I'll put out a lot and then dry spells. I'll have times where I can see the end, and it all connecting and others when I wonder if it will lol. We're writers, we tend to be...eccentric. I never get down in the dumps, but understand.

Eccentric requires a six digit or higher bank account and a minimum of two houses. If you do not meet that criteria, you're just nucking futts like the rest of us, so climb down off that pedestal and embrace the lunacy. We have pie!

Coco82

Registered
Reaction score
Eccentric requires a six digit or higher bank account and a minimum of two houses. If you do not meet that criteria, you're just nucking futts like the rest of us, so climb down off that pedestal and embrace the lunacy. We have pie!

LOL. I was looking for a word that didn't sound that bad, maybe not eccentric, but....differently minded haha.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
"If you are something extraordinary, you are going to always shock others and while they go about existing in their mundaneness which they call success, you're going to be flying around crazy in their skies and that scares them. . .”
C. JoyBell C

(I like flying around crazy in other peoples' skies. :))

Last edited:

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
I don't have a lot of myself invested in being normal. I just want to be able to pass for normal when it's necessary or desirable, you know?

Maryn, odd and then some

I concur. Normal only comes out on very special occasions. ;)

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
benbenberi: What is this "normal" of which you speak?
'Tis but a construct forged of want, or is it need? To scamper from the crowd, or lose oneself within it, dependant on a host of subtleties too numerous to mention here, 'tho some have tried, quite eloquently. And others, too--but their replies belie their quiet desperation to be normal, or unique.

Is it a question with one answer? Or a host of answers, perhaps even a bushel or a peck. . .

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm.

It's normal to want to be at least somewhat successful in whatever manner your society measures it.
It's normal to doubt yourself sometimes.
It's normal to want things that are in opposition to your needs.
It's normal to hate it when your hair looks stupid.
It's normal to sometimes feel anger, sadness, pain, joy, contentedness, grief, quasi-delirium, sleep deprivation, annoyance, discomfort, horniness, hunger, jealousy, fatigue, pride, love, hate, empathy, devotion, frustration, impatience, fear, shame, and road rage; sometimes in quick rotation or many at the same time.
It's normal to be uncomfortable at temperatures that other people seem totally fine in.
It's normal to feel things that are totally unreasonable sometimes.
It's normal to say dumb shit.
It's normal to say one thing, do another, and think something else.
It's normal to want validation and support from others.
It's normal to want a place in society.
It's normal to want to be needed.
It's normal to like puppies.
It's normal to have trouble learning new things.
It's normal to forget things and get distracted sometimes.
It's normal to feel like you're weird.
It's normal to occasionally just want to say "fuck all this" and run away to the opposite side of the country.
It's normal to cling to your shit and never want to leave.
It's normal to get burned out when life takes too much out of you.
It's normal to put a hell of a lot of importance on your identity, to be frustrated when you can't figure it out, and get a little upset when someone severely misjudges who you are.
It's normal to want to be independent and alone but also safely entrenched and in the company of a lot of people and rooted but free to go and trusted with responsibilities but unburdened all at the same time.
It's normal to need some stress and also get crushed by too much of it.
It's normal to be somewhere on a spectrum rather than a well-defined category.
It's normal to need help sometimes.
It's normal to not want to need help as often as you do.
It's normal to want to go faster.
It's normal to have emotional baggage.
It's normal to name your dog something and then give him at least four nicknames, many of which are longer than his actual name.
It's normal to want to be a dedicated part of something bigger than yourself.
It's normal to forget how awesome Oh!s are, and then remember that you stopped eating them because they cut up your mouth, and then decide to eat them anyway.
It's normal to sometimes get caught up in small things.
It's normal to waste time making lists of dumb shit and realize you could go on forever but now you're losing interest so you stop abruptly. :p

Rbrown8384

New Fish; Exploring the Written Sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I recently responded to a post asking if x was normal. I commented how we writers tend to wonder if what we're doing, or not doing, or thinking/not thinking about or worrying/not worrying about, is normal behavior. For a writer, I mean.

Then I thought, I'm a writer, so am I normal? Let me see:

1) I sit at my computer, chewing my cheeks incessantly whilst staring at the blank screen.

2) Amazing stuff flows out of me like a shit through a goose. It's a gift from God--His mind, to my hand, to keyboard, to screen. . .

It's a religious experience. Has to be.

2) I love my writing.

3) I hate my writing. And hence, myself. And hence, everybody else.

4) But I care what they think.

5) Except when I don't give a crap what they think.

6) But I want to influence what they think in a deeply meaningful way.

7) I am incredibly creative.

8) I have no creativity. I can't think of any ideas. At all. My mind is a vast and barren wasteland.

9) I am a really good writer.

10) I suck.

So, what's the verdict? Normal, or ?

Questions? Comments? Concerns? :D

I feel this way every other day, I currently am on the "I have no creativity" stage, while knowing that my story is creative. Just can't seem to find the words! I think it's normal... possibly... might be... I am sure it is...

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm.

It's normal to want to be at least somewhat successful in whatever manner your society measures it.
It's normal to sometimes feel anger, sadness, pain, joy, contentedness, grief, quasi-delirium, sleep deprivation, annoyance, discomfort, horniness, hunger, jealousy, fatigue, pride, love, hate, empathy, devotion, frustration, impatience, fear, shame, and road rage; sometimes in quick rotation or many at the same time.
It's normal to be uncomfortable at temperatures that other people seem totally fine in.
It's normal to occasionally just want to say "fuck all this" and run away to the opposite side of the country.
It's normal to put a hell of a lot of importance on your identity, to be frustrated when you can't figure it out, and get a little upset when someone severely misjudges who you are.
It's normal to want to be independent and alone but also safely entrenched and in the company of a lot of people and rooted but free to go and trusted with responsibilities but unburdened all at the same time.
It's normal to name your dog something and then give him at least four nicknames, many of which are longer than his actual name.
It's normal to forget how awesome Oh!s are, and then remember that you stopped eating them because they cut up your mouth, and then decide to eat them anyway.
It's normal to waste time making lists of dumb shit and realize you could go on forever but now you're losing interest so you stop abruptly. :p

Wut. Stop being all wise. You're making the rest of us look bad. Harrumph.

butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
Hm.

I'm going to print this out and fold it into some weird origami shape and keep it in my wallet forever. sigh ...

Aj Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aj-johnson216.blogspot.com
Being normal is over rated. I battle with depression that I portrayed in a poem once to actually be a good thing. Hence why I'm not taking any medication. In the poem I wrote, I describe how my depression is actually a deep, dark abyss of great knowledge and strength. Every once in a while I plunge down the abyss just to test my mental strength and see how far I can go before I break, then I climb back up slowly, but rarely empty handed. :)

Ah the treasures I find.

*Gollum voice* My precious...

*Edit* Point being, I don't think that kind of behavior is "Normal"

Elusive Wanderer

Registered
Reaction score
I think it is perfectly 'normal' to vacillate back and forth between 'I rock!' and 'I suck!', writer or not. So yeah, that's normal IMO. Does that mean you're normal? I dunno... I'm definitely not.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's what normal people say...:D
Who said anything about people?

Only sheep think in terms of "Am I a normal sheep?" The only way normality can be achieved is to accept every minute little difference from one individual to the next and then throw our hands up and party. Kos then, finally, with everyone being different, somehow, we're all suddenly normal.

Since that's not the case, it's probably better to ask if you have the habits of a sheep or jungle sapling. :tongue

It's normal to think, to act, to be different. It's normal to want to be normal, and to sit and ponder on normality while assuming everyone else apart from you and the 'select few like-minded ones' are different. But the bottom line is that's normal too.

In fact the only way it'd become abnormal is if it was somehow a detriment to yourself and/or others.

Is it normal to write my novel on my arm with a razor blade and bleach? No, that's abnormal.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In fact the only way it'd become abnormal is if it was somehow a detriment to yourself and/or others.

Is it normal to write my novel on my arm with a razor blade and bleach? No, that's abnormal.

Abnormality as disease? Which manifests itself as self-inflicted pain? Or self-loathing?

Surely "abnormality" is more benign than this, but no less poignant. We believe normality sets us adrift in a sea of humanity, one of hundreds of millions of nameless, faceless people. We want to believe we are different than they are. We shall make our mark. We won't be forgotten. We matter.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Abnormality as disease? Which manifests itself as self-inflicted pain? Or self-loathing?

Surely "abnormality" is more benign than this,

It is, I think. I'd define "inherently detrimental abnormality" as "illness."

I think of myself as abnormal in a couple ways because I'm statistically way outside the average. In many other ways, I'm totally normal.

Point is, it's normal to think you're abnormal, but in fact "normalcy" encompasses something much much broader than what many people seem to think.

So I think...;)

but no less poignant. We believe normality sets us adrift in a sea of humanity, one of hundreds of millions of nameless, faceless people. We want to believe we are different than they are. We shall make our mark. We won't be forgotten. We matter.
My abnormalities are ridiculously un-poignant. They are quite meaningless and I did not consciously choose them, nor do I expect them to matter.

But I get what you're saying. People want distinction. ;) (But distinction...well, that's within 'normal' too.)

I don't think either abnormal or normal are inherently bad or good, but I guess either could be taken as such...so. Maybe my vague head-definitions are all wrong. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.