The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else working on a story for this year's Sword & Sorceress? The deadline is the 12th of May.

Ali

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
I like the comments feature on EDF but it is an oddity of that site that people feel it appropriate to offer critiques. Like Alex, I don't pay too much attention to that kind of comment (I'm not sure who it is aimed at but personally I have a critique group for feedback and am not looking for it from random commenters) but I do think it is nice that they have a healthy commenting community there.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Anyone else working on a story for this year's Sword & Sorceress? The deadline is the 12th of May.

Ali

The next story I'll be writing is one which I think might be a good fit. If it turns out as I'm thinking it will and I get it done in time, I'll probably sub it there.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Punchnels

Just wanted to confirm they're a nice and quick market. My story went online few days after acceptance, received money by paypal the next day, and hey -- 10 bucks for a 160-words story is more than a pro rate ;-)

So pleased you posted this. They've picked up a short photo piece of mine which I didn't think had a market. And they move fast - I heard from them yesterday and it'll apparently be up tomorrow.

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
alimay, I have something I think I'm going to submit. Are you finished with your story or still polishing? Good luck, regardless!

About 3000 words on the first draft and aiming for around 6000, although I only started writing it 3 days ago, and I've got the plot line mapped out in my mind. Just trying to iron out any inconsistencies and hopefully avoid my usual habit of making the story too freaking dark.

Hopefully willbe able to get something else written as well -- something short and funny, but we'll see.

How about you, Andrea?

And sorry for not including the link.... (Please accept this smilie in lieu of one bashing itself over the head with a hammer::flag:)

Ali

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
About 3000 words on the first draft and aiming for around 6000, although I only started writing it 3 days ago, and I've got the plot line mapped out in my mind. Just trying to iron out any inconsistencies and hopefully avoid my usual habit of making the story too freaking dark.

Hopefully willbe able to get something else written as well -- something short and funny, but we'll see.

How about you, Andrea?

And sorry for not including the link.... (Please accept this smilie in lieu of one bashing itself over the head with a hammer::flag:)

Ali

I've got a 7100 word story that's about ready to submit. I'm just waiting on my rejection from Clarkesworld. ;)

Best of luck to you, alimay!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. Thanks for the info.

I so want to get into Shimmer!

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Ali

I'm working on one. Sadly, the same one I thought to submit last year but didn't get polished up in time.

Aggy, has a big drawer full of stuff "to be finished"

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
I'm working on one. Sadly, the same one I thought to submit last year but didn't get polished up in time.

Aggy, has a big drawer full of stuff "to be finished"

Ooh, Aggy, is it the one in SYW? I think that one's shaping up nicely so far. A compelling read.

Still waiting on Clarkesworld...four days "under review". GULP. I'll probably start working on another story for Sword & Sorceress, just in case CW holds my other one past the deadline.

ETA: Just got the rejection from Clarkesworld, but it was a personal rejection and said it was close. Huzzah! Going to go over it one more time and then send it to Sword & Sorceress.

Last edited:

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
Greetings fellow procrastinators. Just wanted to shoot a quick intro.

I started writing late January of this year (well, submitting writing, anyway), and when I came across this site, I realized I had inadvertently been doing W1S1 all year. Now, if I could only inadvertently make my first pro-sale as easily.

So far, I have racked up only one token-market sale, but a few of my submissions making the rounds express high confidence in their ability to sweet-talk editors, so I remain optimistic.

Just received a 40-day rejection from Flash Fiction Online. That story really had me convinced he was going to sell there. Of course, I should really know better than to listen to someone who requires suspension of disbelief as a matter of course.

Anyway, hello to all. See you around the boards.

Last edited:

AndreaGS

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andreagstewart.com
Welcome thomas! Good luck and happy writing on your quest for the elusive professional sale! :D

Got a note from Sword & Sorceress that they're holding my story for further consideration. 3-day turnaround. Speedy.

alimay

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome thomas! Good luck and happy writing on your quest for the elusive professional sale! :D

Got a note from Sword & Sorceress that they're holding my story for further consideration. 3-day turnaround. Speedy.

Wow, nice one.

I'm still working on the first draft, which is suffering from story-bloat -- 8100 words and counting -- but I'm very close to finishing. Then time to hack it down, so it's not such of a hullocking monster (nope, there's no such word as 'hullocking' before you ask).

Oh, and an R from Shock Totem. I'm going to tweak it slightly and send it straight out again to Apex.

Ali

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
*peeks in*

Wow, you all are inspiring. :)

I jumped on the W1S1 bandwagon yesterday (monthly, whoo!). So far this year I've sent out 5 submissions (2 accepted) and written 4 stories, so I'm relatively on track. Huzzah, pass the whiskey!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Kalevin!

What genre do you write? Where have your stories been published and/or forthcoming?

Hang out with us here and on write1sub1.com

kalevin

Dark and twisty, like licorice.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kalevingston.com
Thanks for the welcome, Alex. :)

I write spec fic, mainly fantasy. My stories were accepted in our university spec fic journal (not quite on par with the acceptances you all are achieving, but hey it was a committee decision and pub credits so I'll take it). It's a small thing but also exciting, and just what I needed to get my behind in gear again.

I've lurked a bit around the W1S1 blog and other threads, and look forward to hanging out more with you guys.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kalevin: You've got to start somewhere, and a university journal is as good a place as any! Hopefully W1S1 will get you writing new stories, and trying out various other markets with them.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
TMy stories were accepted in our university spec fic journal (not quite on par with the acceptances you all are achieving, but hey it was a committee decision and pub credits so I'll take it). It's a small thing but also exciting, and just what I needed to get my behind in gear again.

We all started there. The single biggest thing you need to move higher up the ladder? Perseverance. Hang out here with us, and we'll make that less daunting than it is alone :)

Oh, and hey, welcome to AW!