I need a word

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Still working on translating my fantasy novel into English.

I feel a bit silly starting a thread just because of one word in one sentence, but it's kind of important for my protagonist and her mindset so here goes:

She is one of rare individuals born with mystical powers for battling otherworldly forces, and a matching mentality. She doesn't feel trauma over violence or regret over killing the way normal humans do, and feels a constant need for adventure and danger.

She worries a bit about how this separates her from normal humanity in spirit. The line I have is

"Do I have any X with normal people?"

I originally put "commonality" there as the closest equivalent to the Icelandic word I could think of, but I'm not sure if it gets across what I had in mind.

Thoughts?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Similarity to...

Empathy with ...?

Connection with...?

Really depends on context and the direction of the conversation or thought process. It is in dialogue, isn't it?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't the question you asked, but feel trauma is a bit odd.

You could make it something like: She doesn't experience any guilt about violence or killing the way normal humans do . . .

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For your question, besides Bufty's suggestions, there's humanity (if that would work).

"Do I share any humanity with normal people?"

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Similarity to...

Empathy with ...?

Connection with...?

Really depends on context and the direction of the conversation or thought process. It is in dialogue, isn't it?

Yes, the full line is:

“I-” She hadn't thought about this deeply enough before to have the words ready. “I can't help but... wonder if I-” She sighed. Was she just talking nonsense? “I mean I don't seem to think like most people. And I don't know whether I should try to or what. And if I don't, do I have any commonality with normal people?”

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could make it anything in common. I don't know your character's voice but that's the way most people would say it.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, the full line is:

“I-” She hadn't thought about this deeply enough before to have the words ready. “I can't help but... wonder if I-” She sighed. Was she just talking nonsense? “I mean I don't seem to think like most people. And I don't know whether I should try to or what. And if I don't, do I have any commonality with normal people?”

You know, the final sentence can be reworded to be more intense. "If I don't try, am I even human?"

What if she not only feels different, she feels... alien?

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for Alleycat's solution. That's the first thing I thought of when I read your example. :)

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Hello again. I'm doing the final touch-up on the manuscript and I could use advice for a few more English words. I decided to just add to this thread rather than start a new one.

*I need to sum up a dangerous act of last resort. A sorcerer under attack summons demons without any of the usual precautions. In the original dialogue the protagonist sees what he's up to and thinks "this is a X manoeuvre". What is the natural English way of describing something like that?

*I'm wondering if "chapter" is a proper word for what I have in mind for something else. There is this secret society spread over the world, seemingly ordinary people with ordinary lives who get up to some cloak-and-dagger stuff. There is no central authority, just local leaders who give general guidance and communicate with other leaders so the society can have a clear picture. I'm wondering what to call separate parts of this society.

"Gang" doesn't seem right, they're not sorcerers so I can't use "coven" and I'm not sure about "cell". That leaves me with "chapter". Does it work?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My two cents:

I need to sum up a dangerous act of last resort. A sorcerer under attack summons demons without any of the usual precautions. In the original dialogue the protagonist sees what he's up to and thinks "this is a X manoeuvre". What is the natural English way of describing something like that?

This is a risky maneuver.

The maneuver is hazardous.

It's a high-risk maneuver.

*I'm wondering if "chapter" is a proper word for what I have in mind for something else. There is this secret society spread over the world, seemingly ordinary people with ordinary lives who get up to some cloak-and-dagger stuff. There is no central authority, just local leaders who give general guidance and communicate with other leaders so the society can have a clear picture. I'm wondering what to call separate parts of this society.

"Gang" doesn't seem right, they're not sorcerers so I can't use "coven" and I'm not sure about "cell". That leaves me with "chapter". Does it work?

Chapter is okay. I belong to the Montana chapter of Sigma Nu.

What about "association"? Affiliation? Order? Guild? Society?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score

"Chapter" works, but it assumes a local branch of a larger organization. Witches have "covens" which are local groups of associates, and they do not have a larger association; although they communicate among covens and have essentially identical beliefs.

WWWalt

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
the protagonist sees what he's up to and thinks "this is a X manoeuvre".

I'd use "desperate," or plug that into a thesaurus and see if I liked any of its suggestions better. To me, that carries the "last-ditch" sense that is missing from the other suggestions in this thread. On its own, the word doesn't carry as much of the "dangerous" sense, but my assumption is that the context will make it obvious that the situation is dangerous, and that the desperation is what you need to highlight in that sentence.

I'm not sure about "cell".

What's your uncertainty about it? It seems to me to come closest to what you're describing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
"Anything in common" would be my choice, but her feelings about violence and killing probably make her a sociopath, so the answer would be, "Not much".

Mark Thompson

Registered
Reaction score
"I...I...” She ground to a halt, tongue-tied. She hadn't considered the matter in sufficiently depth to come up with a ready explanation. “I can't help it but I...well ,I sometimes wonder if...” She bit her lip, worried she might be talking nonsense. “What I'm trying to say is, I don't think like most people and I'm not even sure I want to. I don't feel like them.My problem is, I can't relate to the way they think. Is that down to me or them? I've no idea.”

Or summat like that. It's a groovy little snippet (sorry for messing with it)

Last edited:

Quilliam

Banned
Reaction score
And If I don't, do normal people mean anything at all to me?