• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lillibridge Press

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria, my intent was to come back here and write positive things happening at LP. We would love to read one of your submissions! And if we really liked it, offering you a contract and you accepted, we'd be able to write something positive once more.

I doubt Victoria will be sending you a submission anytime soon.
She already has a publisher; you may have heard of them, a little outfit named Harper-Collins

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Lillibridge Press:
Our contract is still as it was. This may seem intransigent to some, but not to us.

You amaze me with your view that you are not being intransigent in refusing to change non-author friendly terms in your own contract.

:eye roll:

Lillibridge Press:
If the contract is not to an author's liking then we can be polite and step away amicably.

Good to know that you don't believe in contract negotiation in any way, shape or form.

Lillibridge Press:
As of now, we are receiving many submissions, almost more than we can handle.

It's a shame that publishers aren't judged on the amount of slush they receive, but instead on the number of books they manage to sell.

Lillibridge Press:
Soon we may have to close our subs for a few months or so. This is encouraging!

Uh-huh.

Lillibridge Press:
my intent was to come back here and write positive things happening at LP.

No kidding. You should check out the thread for Tate Publishing, who did a similar thing when they decided that they didn't want to/couldn't actually answer questions asked on that thread.

Each such "positive thing" met with appropriate comment from the members here.

Just so you know.

Lillibridge Press:
We would love to read one of your submissions! And if we really liked it, offering you a contract and you accepted, we'd be able to write something positive once more.

Without speaking on Victoria's behalf, I have to wonder why you would ever think that a respected author who writes books for which she is paid an advance would ever want to waste her work on a royalty-only paying epublisher whose contract contains author-unfriendly terms.

There's optimism, blind optimism and then rank stupidity.

MM

Lillibridge Press

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt Victoria will be sending you a submission anytime soon.
She already has a publisher; you may have heard of them, a little outfit named Harper-Collins

That's fantastic! Do I know any of her books? I'm always on the lookout for a good read!

See, positive things all around!

Lillibridge Press

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

If you want to find out what she has published, there's always Amazon's search function. That might work better than asking us whether you know something.

I didn't know that Victoria used her real name, which is why I didn't Google it. Some people use a "pen name" on here. I hadn't heard of Victoria's fictions until now. Anyway, thanks for the kind information. I have never seen or heard of her until now, maybe I'll download one of her books--give her a rainy afternoon.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I didn't know that Victoria used her real name, which is why I didn't Google it. Some people use a "pen name" on here.

Lillibridge Press and DeadlyAccurate are avatar names or handles. A pen name is a name a writer uses to write and/or publish under, so if someone were using a pen name here, that's probably what they'd be published under, too. It's pretty obvious the username victoriastrauss is a minor variation on an actual name.

Your lack of Google-fu is...disturbing.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
My two cents, there's nothing positive about a publisher who doesn't answer perfectly legit, perfectly reasonable questions.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
As of now, we are receiving many submissions, almost more than we can handle. Soon we may have to close our subs for a few months or so. This is encouraging!
No, it's not encouraging. It's merely a sign that there remain a large number of authors who query without knowing what they're getting into.

Victoria,...We would love to read one of your submissions! And if we really liked it, offering you a contract and you accepted, we'd be able to write something positive once more.
Ouch.

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself but my experience with Lillibridge has been extremely positive. The editing has been top notch and the distribution channels are widening considerably over the next few months.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions on here so I will make no comments on other's postings.

Last edited:

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
My two cents, there's nothing positive about a publisher who doesn't answer perfectly legit, perfectly reasonable questions.

AMEN, sorry but if someone asks you a question you should answer it. Your non-answer says to me that you don't know or you are unwilling to answer as it puts you in a bad light.

Lillibridge Press and DeadlyAccurate are avatar names or handles. A pen name is a name a writer uses to write and/or publish under, so if someone were using a pen name here, that's probably what they'd be published under, too. It's pretty obvious the username victoriastrauss is a minor variation on an actual name.

Your lack of Google-fu is...disturbing.

A publisher not having Google-fu is VARY disturbing.. I mean it would have taken them all of .. what? Two seconds to figure out who Ms. Strauss is. Tis mind boggaling.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't think, at this point, that there is much more to be said about this publisher than hasn't already been said (multiple times).

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I find the lack of acknowledgement of the author's experience to be very disturbing.

I don't know what kind of acknowledgment you were hoping for, but IMO it's normal for authors to be very happy with a press when in the honeymoon stage.

If an author continues to be happy with them after a year or so, after the royalty checks have come in, I put more stock in that.

Publishers behaving less than professionally, and authors defending their particular publishers nevertheless, are also fairly common in this particular forum. Not just in this thread but with other ones as well.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I live in Buffalo and have never seen advertisements here for the press. Not in The Buffalo News, not in local libraries, heck- not even on the local Craigslist.

I wouldn't trust a Buffalo lawyer and his 'contract' sense when it comes to publishing as far as I could throw them. Having dealt with lawyers here - it's a joke.

I'm sorely tempted to ask where all of this promotion goes on...because it would be so very easy to check on considering my location.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
xXFireSpiritXx:
I find the lack of acknowledgement of the author's experience to be very disturbing.

What kind of acknowledgement were you looking for? You made a post saying that you were satisfied with your experience so far.

Cool.

Your experience to date however, does not negate the concerns that I have about this company.

In addition, while you may have had a good editing experience, your book isn't on sale yet and what would go a long way to meeting my concerns is finding out what kind of distribution and marketing support you get and how that translates into sales.

xXFireSpiritXx:
Also, some of the sarcastic comments are really uncalled for.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Personally, I think that that the passive-aggressive attitude displayed on thread is uncalled for.

xXFireSpiritXx:
I will say I do find it disappointing how some members I respect act when it comes to the Beware's forum. It is like a whole new side is revealed and not one I want to know. Not just the behavior in this thread but with other ones as well.

And?

If you don't like what people are saying here or how they say it, then don't read the posts here. For me personally, bleating about people's tone and generally behaving as though you're a disappointed parent doesn't wash. I speak as a find, I say what I mean and I give respect where I get it.

xXFireSpiritXx:
This is my final say. I refuse to post in this thread any more and will make an effort not to follow it as the negativity does not reflect the experience I have had.

Okey dokey then.

MM

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
xxFireSpiritxx, we all hope you will continue to have a good experience with this press.

We just don't think it's likely. If you go through the B&BC threads, you will see many occasions where people have said "This publisher is excellent, and you guys are all being mean!" and then the very same people have come back six months or a year later and said, "You guys were right." (The Cacoethes and Blu Phi'er threads are particularly rich ones for examples of this.)

If Lillibridge Press makes a go of it, finds good distribution, adopts a more professional attitude, and does your book proud, we will all be delighted for you and for them. Seriously. Nobody wants you to fail, and nobody wants them to fail.

But the signs aren't good so far. That's the truth; nobody's saying it to be mean, they're reporting their observations.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
xxFireSpritxx, I am ecoing what IceCream said. We DO NOT want you or Lillibridge Press to fail. Infact we would love for you and Lillibridge to be here selling books years from now. The people who commented are giving there views after YEARS of experience of seeing different presses. You put your heart and soul into your MS and we want to make sure that if you go with publisher/agent that your not unaware of anything about them. The point of this section is not to sugar coat things. In the writing world you NEED to develop a thick skin. There have been times a press/agent has been questioned by the writers and others on here, and make no mistake about it that is what this section is for, and have maintained a high level of profeshonalism. But Lillibridge has evaded answering tugh questions and has given snarky/passive-agressive answers and unwilling to change. I'm sorry but, usualy that means they have something to hide.

Last edited:

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
xXFireSpiritXx:
I will say I do find it disappointing how some members I respect act when it comes to the Beware's forum. It is like a whole new side is revealed and not one I want to know. Not just the behavior in this thread but with other ones as well.
Many of the members posting in this thread are the very same people who warmly welcomed you to AW when you were still in your honeymoon stage with PublishAmerica. It took you some time to realize the error you had made and I'm afraid you have done exactly the same thing by signing with Lillibridge, because you are once again ignoring sage advice and opinions from the same people who warned you about PA.

I add my voice to those who have wished you luck and hope that you will continue to post your experiences (good and bad) with this publisher, so that your fellow AW writers can determine what exactly Lillibridge has to offer.

~brianm~

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I live in Buffalo and have never seen advertisements here for the press. Not in The Buffalo News, not in local libraries, heck- not even on the local Craigslist.

I wouldn't trust a Buffalo lawyer and his 'contract' sense when it comes to publishing as far as I could throw them. Having dealt with lawyers here - it's a joke.

I'm sorely tempted to ask where all of this promotion goes on...because it would be so very easy to check on considering my location.

This makes me laugh. We have two small publishers where I live. Both advertise all the time. Their books are available online and in stores. They have also sold print rights to the bigger pubs in Canada.
Random Passage by Bernice Morgan was even made into a TV miniseries. If your going to open a publishing house, at least make the effort. I am amazed at how many are starting up and by how many fail. And I for one am grateful for sites like AW.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
@xXFireSpiritXx
I look forward to your reporting of your experiences in six months' time.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I can see, the concerns addressed in this thread are grounded in fact. I.e., no one has made wild claims. No one has suggested that Lillibridge abuses its authors.

At issue are policies that may, nonetheless, be bad for authors. For example, just a few comments back, (#70 at this point), Victoria Strauss asserted that Lillibridge’s contract contained unreasonable clauses. (I think “unreasonable” is a vast understatement; “onerous” is more apt.)

Lillibridge’s comment (#75 at this point), confirms that their contract contains those clauses and makes no apologies for the inclusion of author-unfriendly terms. I.e., those terms are a fact.

Even if Lillibridge does a decent job of distribution, even if they pay royalties on time, the author is still stuck with a contract that ties up rights to the Work for decades, and which prevents him/her from publishing anything based in the same characters for five years. Five years. Yikes!

Those terms may not seem like a big deal* if all going well, but they make for a nightmare if something goes wrong.

(*Actually the no competing clause is huge deal to me, as I write many stories in the same “universe.” Frankly, I find the clause stupid and self-defeating, since a sale of a similar story could drive sales of related work.)