• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Lillibridge Press

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com

The first thing I saw on the blog was her interview with Lazy Day Publishing - another publisher with a long and rather ugly thread in this forum.

I don't know what this "agent" is doing but I have to disagree with her methods. Trying to cut deals with epubs that have such major problems is just... *shakes head* I can't even find the words.

:(

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
An e agent. I didn't even know they existed.

CScottMorris

On a coffee fueled writing spree!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
CaoPaux and Momeento Mori, I think you are correct. The information found was likely from such sources, and I fell for it. I found a few of the pages I was getting my information from, and both are blogs by self-pub authors who now seem a bit to anti-commercial pub.

I think we have gotten sidetracked here. And Im afraid that is mostly my fault.
If you wish to discuss my agent's experience or professionalism, we can do that in a thread dedicated to her or the agency she works for.

Here we should be discussing Lilibridge Press.
There are disputes about the fairness of their contract, and we have one author working directly with them who can provide some insight.
LazyDayPub has also been mentioned, and though they should be discussed in their thread, LP and LD have something in common. They are both new pubs working almost exclusively with ebooks, only offering POD options if sales justify it(something I feel is a questionable practice, yet might be justifiable for a new publisher).
What are your thoughts on small, new publishers like this? Aside from opinions of practices specific to Lilibridge. I mean, how do new publishers grow? They have to start somewhere, with smaller projects until they have the means to promote better and offer advances. How do publishers get start up capital, and is it sufficient to offer advances?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Sheryl, Agents do more than just negotiate contracts, they also help promote books. Of course, now I am doubting everything I have learned in the last year, so, dont quote me on that.

While agents will mention their clients books (and readings/signings) on their blogs and Twitter, that's about it. I've found many a book that way, so it does work, but it's not really any different than your friends doing the same. And they aren't obligated to do it; it's more like readers wanting other readers to know about these awesome books they've found.

CScottMorris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
Yes, I think that 'agents promote books' also came from one of those self-pubbed guys. I think their 'agents' are more 'managers' than anything.
I understand that a lot of writers are expected to handle most of their own promotions, and wouldn't an agent be able to advise/help with that? Im not talking about TOR or SOLARIS here, more like DoubleDragon or Samhian. They have some marketing, and an established reputation and web-presence, but the author can still make a huge impact by marketing themselves.
What is starting to worry me about Lilibridge and Lazyday, is not their lack of history(time will help with that), but their lack of reputation and no established web-presence.
When people think about ebooks, they think DoubleDragon or Samhain(after Amazon, of course). How does Lilibridge plan on gaining exposure?
That's a good question for the publisher, if they are still around. How do you plan on getting your site noticed? Other than relying on your writers to do all the promoting?

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
What is starting to worry me about Lilibridge and Lazyday, is not their lack of history(time will help with that), but their lack of reputation and no established web-presence.

These are questions writers should ask before they sign with a publisher. And if their agents are pushing them toward inexperienced outfits, they should question their agent as well.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
CaoPaux and Momeento Mori, I think you are correct. The information found was likely from such sources, and I fell for it. I found a few of the pages I was getting my information from, and both are blogs by self-pub authors who now seem a bit to anti-commercial pub.

Just wanted to say don't feel too bad about this; those blogs etc. are designed to mislead people. Publishing is a complex and often confusing business, very different from other businesses, so it's often difficult to know what's true and what isn't. :)

What are your thoughts on small, new publishers like this? Aside from opinions of practices specific to Lilibridge. I mean, how do new publishers grow? They have to start somewhere, with smaller projects until they have the means to promote better and offer advances. How do publishers get start up capital, and is it sufficient to offer advances?

Here's the thing. Since you've mentioned Samhain, and since Samhain is unarguably one of the most successful epubs, let's talk about how Samhain started.

Samhain was started by a woman named Chrissy Brashear, who'd worked for Ellora's Cave for several years. Thus, when she decided to start her own house, she had plenty of experience. She had plenty of contacts, and brought quite a few big-name authors with her. She had funding; Samhain offered small advances from the start, if memory serves.

Because she'd been with EC, she knew a lot of people who ran review sites etc. She knew where the best places to promote the company were; she had a lot of contacts with people who were happy to talk about the company and help her promote it.

And even with all of that, even with the big splash Samhain seemed to make, it took several years (as far as I'm aware) for their authors to start making real money on their books. And by real money I mean high three figures/low four figure royalty checks.

Not to mention that when Samhain started the market wasn't as saturated as it is now. It's getting harder and harder for a new epublisher to distinguish itself and draw attention, even with big publicity campaigns. Readers buy from epublishers they know and trust; they don't tend to branch out much.

That doesn't mean a new house will automatically fail, just that it's a heck of a lot more likely to, especially if the owners don't have prior epublishing experience. Even if they don't fail, the odds are they'll just limp along, selling perhaps a dozen copies of each title in release month. Check the EREC site for some epublisher sales stats.

New epublishers are just not a good bet. Take a look at the index thread; see all those publishers listed in gray? Those are pretty much all start-up houses, and they pretty much all failed.

Getting published is all well and good, but your goal should be getting published WELL. There's nothing wrong with epublishing; you can be published very well in epublishing. But you need to be with a house that's proven it can deliver readers, and knows how to run its business. In epublishing size really does matter.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com

I've written a couple of blog posts on this subject.

New Publishers: to Query or Not to Query

Precautions for Small Press Authors

The problem with so many new, small publishers is that they're started by people with, often, the best of intentions--but zero professional publishing or writing experience, and little or no capital. Starting a publisher with no publishing knowledge is equivalent to starting a restaurant without knowing how to cook. There's a really high attrition rate for publishers like this, and it can work out very badly for authors.

There are many threads here at AW that chronicle ugly publisher stories. See, for instance, the Cacoethes Publishing thread, or the Rain Publishing thread. You really need to do your research and be very cautious. The newer the publisher, the more caution is in order.

Sometimes because they're greedy, but often because they just don't know very much, small publishers have terrible contracts. I saw a Lillibridge contract in July, and it had some serious problems. See my post summarizing these.

- Victoria

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I personally don't understand why an agent would submit to the an epublisher. There is no real advantage to it and very little income even for a press like Samhain who is possibly the best selling epublisher currently in business. But the agent will still be making maybe $300 per title from such a book. I was under the impression that most agents wouldn't get out bed for that.

CScottMorris

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cscottmorrisbooks.com
Victoria, thanks for the links, they were most helpful. And thanks for the warnings about Lilibridge's contract. If I get an offer from them, Ill look for those things, and some of the other red flags I identified through your other links. At anyrate, I would never sign a contract with such limitations, and if they wont budge, then they dont get the honor of publishing my novel.

Writer911

Banned
Reaction score
Anytime the mention of money comes up (except, natch, for a delicious advance) the red flags also come up. Are these folks in business to make money from the writer or the readers?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Anytime the mention of money comes up (except, natch, for a delicious advance) the red flags also come up. Are these folks in business to make money from the writer or the readers?

* link removed by mod *

I'm tired of warning you about spamming. Your blog--the single blog post you keep linking to all over the place--has absolutely nothing to do with this thread or anything else we're discussing here. You are not winning yourself any friends, and you've made at least one publishing professional think you're a complete ass by spamming these forums. Is that the effect you're going for?

Last edited by a moderator:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
So, any word on sales levels yet?

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
I was told royalty statements were coming, though I have yet to hear anything.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Hi gang,

Just wanted to let everyone know that this publisher has closed down with all contracts and rights reverted back to the authors. Unfortunately while I did like the people (and even had phone conversations with the publisher) I didn't have much success with my novella which was published by them. Communication was also pretty sparatic as several staff members would often go on hiatus without having an out of office or letting the authors know what was happening for months, so this isn't a huge shock.

Thanks,
Natasha