What are you reading?

layzerphish

Registered
Reaction score
My cousin lent me it a while back, and I am finally starting 'A game of Thrones.'
I am also about halfway done 'Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor' which I am enjoying so far. Huge fan of the TV show and the book is a nice supplement while waiting for the season finale next week. Annnnd I just finished the first two graphic novels in the series, and am currently waiting for the bookstore to get the next 3 I ordered. Yeah, I am a WD fan heh...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Zero History by William Gibson

Which, as much as I like Gibson, I'm only reading now because every single copy of The Girl Who Played With Fire was checked out of my local library system. As in the enitre, multi-city system. This is what I get for coming late to the party.

:D

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An Italian Affair by Laura Fraser. I love the way she writes - subtle but heartfelt.

MostlyBecca

Squeee
Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading When the Sea is Rising Red by Cat Hellisen night before last. I won it in a Goodreads giveaway and I'm really excited because I've never won anything before. :D I read the first 200 of 300 pages in one sitting if that tells you anything. Now I just need to find the time later to finish the rest.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won it in a Goodreads giveaway and I'm really excited because I've never won anything before. :D

I think that is really funny! I also never win anything. On one rare occasion when I actually won something, I was really excited even though it was a small prize.

Ellipse

Registered
Reaction score
Fiction:

Dune
Ulysses
New York Trilogy

Non Fiction:

The Kabbalistic Mirror of Genesis

I feel dwarfed every time I look at my to-read list.

So. many. books.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nomansland by Lesley Hauge

I think it's considered YA, but it doesn't feel like it. Beautifully written. It's already made my list of books that make me feel simultaneously inspired, and also like I want to hang it up for good because there's no way I can come close. *sigh*

But in a good way. :D

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
Nomansland by Lesley Hauge

I think it's considered YA, but it doesn't feel like it. Beautifully written. It's already made my list of books that make me feel simultaneously inspired, and also like I want to hang it up for good because there's no way I can come close. *sigh*

But in a good way. :D

I know that feeling well!

I'll have to look that one up.

I just finished re-reading Mockingjay. Still love the series, that book seems to grow on me with each reread. Though I still don't love the ending.

I think I'm going to try Jasper Fforde's The Last Dragonslayer next. I really like most of his other stuff, so hopefully this is as good :)

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
"The Dylanist" by Brian Morton

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
The Art of Fielding, by Chad Harbach

There's a metric ton of hype surrounding this one. Sixty pages in, I'm impressed: Harbach is just about living up to it.

Mik

losing way too much sleep over this
Registered
Reaction score
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, but it's incredibly slow. Is it worth finishing, anyone? I'm only 3 percent through it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
My opinionated opinion: Finish it, but skip the entire section where he rhapsodizes on Napoleon.

Did you get to the point where the Bishop goes blind and Hugo says being blind is so much better than being able to see, when you have someone who loves you to wait on you? :Wha:

Mik

losing way too much sleep over this
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! No, I haven't reached that part yet. But goodness gracious, how many chapters does it take to let us know what kind of a man the bishop is? I already get him, I like him. Can we get to Jean Valjean already?

DJMaxwell

As Seen In Real Life
Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading Gambler's Fortune by Juliet E. McKenna, the third book in her Einarinn series. I get annoyed with the way that she alternates between two characters/sets of characters every chapter, how one of the perspectives is in first-person and the other is third, and especially how her POV character is different from one book in the series to the next, but for some reason I just can't stop reading. Call it a strange fascination with alternative perspective choices, I suppose.