What are you reading?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

I'd seen it recommended and loved the writing in the sample I read. I also love winter settings. It's gorgeous so far.

clee984

Bearded and serious
Registered
Reaction score
'Things the grandchildren should know' Mark Everett.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Election by Tom Perrotta.

The perils of seeing the movie first: I'm constantly trying to remember if a certain part was in the movie, and I can't read Tracy's parts without hearing Reese Witherspoon's voice. All that said, if I'm remembering that much of it after 15 years it's obviously good.

measure_in_love

escaping the evil queen's curse
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished it! Memoirs of a Geisha kept me up until 1 a.m. until my eyes gave out. I'm back to Grimms Fairy Tales.

SnowStorm, you have good taste in books lol. You're making me want to reread Memoirs of a Geisha now. Thanks ;) And I'm obsessed with Grimms Fairytales. They're awesome.

xamich

Sescha Young
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seschayoung.blogspot.ca
I'm reading Changeless by Gail Carriger, part of the Parasol Protectorate series.

It was recommended by goodreads from the books I've read, but I also picked it up because I saw the query letter on a literary agent's blog. I think it was pubrants? :) Highly recommend the series!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Beneath the Abbey Wall: A Novel by A.D. Scott

measure_in_love wrote:
SnowStorm, you have good taste in books lol. You're making me want to reread Memoirs of a Geisha now. Thanks ;) And I'm obsessed with Grimms Fairytales. They're awesome.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy rereading MoaG. For Grimms' works, I want to go slower while reading them. I'm curious if there are deeper meaning the stories.

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff.

2/3 done. Fascinating stuff here about Cleopatra, but I wish Schiff would stop waxing poetic on how beautiful and sophisticated the city of Alexandria was. It's getting a bit nauseating.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut

Hey, me too! Just finished it, actually. It was a good read.

Nothing new on the fiction horizon for right now, though I've got my eye on Catcher in the Rye.

On the non-fiction front, Charles Darwin's On the Origin is still on hold as I'm currently reading Brian Greene's The Fabric of the Cosmos.