What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?, issue 2

Applicious

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I just read the Giver too. :) It was for a class I was taking, and my classmates and I all thought it was weird. The idea of a town that had someone designated to hold memories didn't make much sense to me. I feel like if it had been longer and we could have seen more of the outside world, it would have been more interesting.

I just found some 2 dollar YA books at Ollies, wonder if I should give them a shot.

Last edited:

kej115

Registered
Reaction score
Currently reading WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON. I'm a huge John Green fan, so thought I'd give it a shot!

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't read The Giver, but I saw the movie. Oof. I didn't enjoy it. It was like they did their darnedest to make the story into another Divergent or HG, all action-y and romance-y, when it was clearly not a good fit. I've heard they changed it quite a bit.

The only Lowry book I've read is A Summer to Die, which dates me (it's from the '80s). Thinking about it still makes me teary. Soooo sad.

I haven't committed to a YA book in a while, but I bought The Raven Boys and Paper Towns in hard copy, so time to catch up on those.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Unhinged, and I'm planning a comparative blog post about all the different YA renditions of Alice in Wonderland as a result. Also, this particular series is just awesome. Everything the Tim Burton movie should have been, with a dash of surrealist gore that reminds me of the American McGee videogame--and I told the author so on Twitter. Perhaps I'm biased because her villian/rival love interest type is explicitly supposed to be a carbon-copy of the late, great Brandon Lee, but UNF--yes. Sign me up. MOAR.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Started THE FALL tonight and I'm officially too creeped out to fall asleep. Excellent so far, super atmospheric and sinister.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Sneaking in HP7 before the end of the year.

strawberryblondie

Registered
Reaction score
Side Effects May Vary. I tend to avoid books that deal with terminal illness, but this one has me hooked so far.

endearing

in love with Jesus
Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished the first three books of the Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (my first time reading her books, since in general her paranormal stuff is a bit too paranormal for me); really liked her writing. Now just finished The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan and Every Breath by Ellie Marney. Onto The Scorpio Races, also by Stiefvater. :)

bethrodgersauthor

Registered
Reaction score
I recently finished reading 'Kiss & Blog' by Alyson Noel. It was great. I really enjoyed the relationship between main character Winter and her on and off again Sloane. There were sad truths brought out based on their relationship, as well as some life lessons gained that truly were thought-provoking for both the characters and for me as the reader. Having just finished writing a novel about a freshman girl and the troubles she goes through, it was interesting to read this one from the perspective of a girl who is just starting sophomore year of high school. Between old friends, new friends, boys, parents, and siblings, this book covered almost every angle imaginable that can cause strife for a teenage girl. I highly recommend it!

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Reading The R@ven Boys. It went slowly for me at first because it took so long to intro all the main characters, but I'm reading a lot faster now. It feels like part of a long series, hence all the setup, but I like the writing and the use of mythology and the paranormal. Reminds me a little of my beloved Diana Wynne Jones (RIP).

I have a terrible track record of reading only the first book in YA trilogies/series. I often feel interested, but just not quite compelled enough to continue. (The big exceptions where I couldn't get the next book fast enough were THG and Chaos Walking.) Maybe this one will break the streak.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Gave up on OBSIDIAN. Could not get into it, but managed to stick by the story until about halfway through. I've read a couple other books by Armentrout that were okay, so maybe something else she's written will suit me better.

Started Julie Berry's THE TRUTH THAT'S IN ME, and love the unusual literary style and voice so far.

Judy Koot

WordDreamer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished "Swimming to Tokyo" (something between YA/NA).
Technically, I found it average, sometimes even subpar (inconsistent voice, too much tell, among others), but the story was sweet with more than enough feels (even despite the usual NA tropes, like the MC having a dead mother, and the LI a very abusive father).

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. I know you're not supposed to like Cassandra Clare, but I find her stories are exciting and I end up caring deeply for the characters.

So far, I've read the first Mortal Instruments trilogy and now the Infernal Devices trilogy. I'd say I preferred the Infernal Devices. I think Clare has grown as a writer.

And I really don't care what she did in her fanfiction days.

Fuchsia Groan

Registered
Reaction score
Finished R@ven Boys. I was somewhat frustrated by the many loose ends, but in a way that tempts me to buy the sequel. Feel like I'm not done with the characters or the world, even though some aspects of it could grate on me over the long haul. (Or not, it all depends on how schmoopy the romance gets. I was pleased by the dearth of schmoop here, even with plenty of non-romance angst to make up for it.)

So, those who've read the next installment: Will it resolve at least a FEW of the many hanging questions?

I liked how Blue had ambivalent and ambiguous feelings for two of the boys rather than overpowering True Love, and the plot didn't pivot on romance despite starting with a prophecy about her love life. So far it seems like realistic teenage romantic confusion rather than a dreaded triangle. :)

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
The G!rl at M!dn!ght! I was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC copy. I can't put it down. I feel like I shouldn't be enjoying it this much... I mean, there are giant bird-people. And more tropes than you could shake a stick at. But all that being said, I'm devouring it.

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
So, those who've read the next installment: Will it resolve at least a FEW of the many hanging questions?

Some, but it also adds a bunch more. :)

I'm currently bogged down about 1/3 of the way through the third book, because among other things, the unanswered questions are driving me nuts. Also the prose style is starting to grate. The whole thing is starting to feel like a half-finished dream, and I think that's cool in theory, but I'm having a hard time with it anyway. My friend tells me it gets much better buuut. I'm taking a break to read the Shining. (That's totally YA, right?)

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
The G!rl at M!dn!ght! I was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC copy. I can't put it down. I feel like I shouldn't be enjoying it this much... I mean, there are giant bird-people. And more tropes than you could shake a stick at. But all that being said, I'm devouring it.
Ooh, I am so jealous. I've been wanting to read that for ages! The title alone snagged me.

Last edited:

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
Shadows by Isla Bick--book two in the Ashes trilogy. I only wish I'd known about this series sooner.

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I am so jealous. I've been wanting to read that for ages! The title alone snagged me.

Don't be too jealous! It was a bit disappointing. I'm very much over the whole teenage girl + centuries-old love interest. And the plot was fairly predictable--I saw the big reveal coming from around page 50.

Yellowhammer, I'll be curious to know how you like Sh@dows. I haven't read it yet, but I recently finished another book by Ilsa Bick (the one with the teacher/student love affair... the name's escaping me right now), and I was thinking about picking up her trilogy.

I'm taking a little YA vacation, but my next YA read will most likely be @fterwor!ds, by Scott Westerfeld.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
One day I'm going to come in here and see that somebody is reading MY book. lol.

I'm reading Isla and the Happily Ever After. Just cracked it open, actually. After reading and adoring the two previous Perkins books...Anna and the French Kiss and Lola and the Boy Next Door. (-:

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
Now onto DAYS OF BLOOD & STARLIGHT.

LOVED that book! I loved all of them.

Finished Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare. I know you're not supposed to like Cassandra Clare, but I find her stories are exciting and I end up caring deeply for the characters.

So far, I've read the first Mortal Instruments trilogy and now the Infernal Devices trilogy. I'd say I preferred the Infernal Devices. I think Clare has grown as a writer.

And I really don't care what she did in her fanfiction days.

We like what we like and shouldn't be ashamed. I've done reader-shaming for things like Twilight and others, but really, does it matter? I shouldn't be putting anyone down for what they read and neither should anyone else. I look at what I wrote a few years ago and cringe. We all grow as a writer and if Clare or Meyers or anyone else is lucky enough to get published and have people read their books we should be cheering them on. Okay, done on that. :)

I'm taking a little YA vacation, but my next YA read will most likely be @fterwor!ds, by Scott Westerfeld.

Afterworlds was great. I had a few tiny bones to pick with the story, but overall I really loved it.

And so what I've been reading: Read Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld and really loved it. Read In a Hand Full of Dust by Mindy McGinnis which was so-so. I liked it after I got into it, but Not a Drop to Drink was far better adn she needs to work on her dialogue. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi which was pretty decent though I hated the opening. Not sure what I'm going to read next. I have a few on my Kindle, but I can't remember what. Oh, and I read The Book Thief, which was amazing.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Don't be too jealous! It was a bit disappointing. I'm very much over the whole teenage girl + centuries-old love interest. And the plot was fairly predictable--I saw the big reveal coming from around page 50.

Yellowhammer, I'll be curious to know how you like Sh@dows. I haven't read it yet, but I recently finished another book by Ilsa Bick (the one with the teacher/student love affair... the name's escaping me right now), and I was thinking about picking up her trilogy.

Picked that one up at the library today, which I'll be starting once I've finished SINNER by Maggie Stiefvater. (Hoping to finish SINNER by tomorrow night so it can count towards the books I've read in 2014. It'll be 136 (including some beta reads) if I do - that's the most I've ever read in a year, lol). :D

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
One day I'm going to come in here and see that somebody is reading MY book. lol.

Burn Baby Burn Baby is on my Kindle, actually :)

I'm reading Sara Alva's SILENT, this year's rainbow awards winner in the YA category right now. Promising first third.

Next I have a complex adult library book that needs to be read by Monday or I'll be fined. I want o read it, but I know it's going to be deep and troubling, so I resist...

Last edited: