Court Jester: Stephen Colbert Edition

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Colbert was extremely popular, and while he did poke fun at (and sometimes call to task) both the left and the right, his show was left-leaning political comedy that was both informative and enjoyable.

Step One: Talk about politics in an informative yet fun way.
Step Two: Supporters are thankful.
Step Three: ???
Step Four: FEDGOV IS TEH EEVIL OMG

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I am still waiting for the OP to tell is what the problem is...
It's not just "people" saying thank you, it's the DCCC.

Quoting from their website: "The official campaign arm of the Democrats in the House of Representatives. The only political committee in the country whose principal mission is to support Democratic House candidates every step of the way to victory."

I think their kissy-kissy page makes it pretty plain they consider him a lapdog, as committed to their goals as they are. Sorta like if the RNC had a page to thank Rush Limbaugh for kissing their butts for years. I doubt there'd be nearly as many who misunderstood my point if that had been the case, instead of this DCCC/Colbert story.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Didn't Pelosi restrict all demo reps (in the house) from appearing on his show for a while? He was making them look like buffoons. He made everyone look like a buffoon. But he also got young people interested in politics in a way few others could. (He also devoted a great deal of effort to explaining the arcanity (my own portmanteau of arcane + insanity) of Super Pacs.) So, I can see why that might appeal to the left rather than the right.

Also, maybe the DCCC just has a more self-deprecatory sense of humor.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Quoting from their website: "The official campaign arm of the Democrats in the House of Representatives. The only political committee in the country whose principal mission is to support Democratic House candidates every step of the way to victory."

I think their kissy-kissy page makes it pretty plain they consider him a lapdog, as committed to their goals as they are. Sorta like if the RNC had a page to thank Rush Limbaugh for kissing their butts for years. I doubt there'd be nearly as many who misunderstood my point if that had been the case, instead of this DCCC/Colbert story.

Or they consider him a comedian whose show lambasts a right-wing pundit? Again, as Colbert is NOT A MEMBER OF THE PRESS, what's the issue?

There's a big difference between Colbert and Limbaugh: One admits he's an entertainer.

Limbaugh thinks he's a journalist, a member of the press -

It all starts in journalism school, but not entirely there. I think the Drive-By Media, you know, they used to have a monopoly. Let's review this for just a second. Up until 1988 the mainstream media had a virtual monopoly on the news...

Then 1988 came along and this program started...

the alternative media, previously defined as me, talk radio, Fox News...

That's a recent ramble on the subject. There have certainly been others in which he's been on about his great role in the history of journalism. He thinks he's a member of the press; he thinks he's a journalist, or at least he likes to say he does.

Colbert is under no such delusion or need to pretend. He's a comic. Why is it wrong for the DCCC to like a comic who puts on a show lambasting a conservative blowhard, exactly?

Yes, it'd be different if it were the RNC and Limbaugh, though I'd be frankly surprised if something like that hadn't taken place already. He does NOT admit to being an entertainer, but is.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. I find it interesting that someone could in all sincerity compare Colbert to Limbaugh.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com

Who are thanking a comedian for a show their members enjoyed.

I think their kissy-kissy page makes it pretty plain they consider him a lapdog, as committed to their goals as they are.
Or, you know, that they enjoyed his show.

Which as others have pointed out, often made fun of them as well.

Sorta like if the RNC had a page to thank Rush Limbaugh for kissing their butts for years. I doubt there'd be nearly as many who misunderstood my point if that had been the case, instead of this DCCC/Colbert story.
Nah. They just dedicate busts in the Missouri State House to him and lock out all Democrats and the media while doing it.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Considering how genius of a satirist Colbert is, I honestly can't tell if this thread is also satire.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score

What is your point, again?

That Colbert is biased in favor of the Democrats?

Okay.

So what? He is not "The Media," and makes no claims to being a journalist.

As opposed to Rush Limbaugh, who likes to be taken seriously except when people call him on his "journalism," and then he plays the "I'm just an entertainer" card.

And if the RNC dedicated a page to thanking Rush for being their lapdog (though honestly, it's kind of the other way around IMO), I don't think anyone would react with surprise or shock or dismay, because Rush's allegiances are also pretty well known.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think their kissy-kissy page makes it pretty plain they consider him a lapdog, as committed to their goals as they are.

I don't think it's as plain as you seem to think it is, because other people here don't seem to see it that way.

It's not surprising that his show appeals to liberals.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
And if the RNC dedicated a page to thanking Rush for being their lapdog (though honestly, it's kind of the other way around IMO), I don't think anyone would react with surprise or shock or dismay, because Rush's allegiances are also pretty well known.

Yeah, that's a really good point. I don't like Rush, but if the RNC did the same thing for him, it would make perfect sense to me and wouldn't bother me at all.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

I'm honestly not sure you have a point. You haven't bothered to elaborate on it, if you do. Your problem, the way you're stating it, is that liberal supporters are liberal and that some of them have TV shows. Are you sure you didn't mean to scream this into an echo chamber?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Even if Colbert does skew left more than right, it doesn't make him a lapdog. Maybe, the DCCC just thought he was funny and were thanking him for his years doing The Colbert Report?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I mean, if the DCCC put up a page thanking CNN or the NBC Nightly News for their wonderful work over the years, Don might have a point. I don't think even Fox News would like it if directly thanked by the RNC for being their mouthpiece.

But Stephen Colbert?

611298.jpg

This is who you think indicts the independence of the press, Don?

Methinks either we're being trolled or someone has fallen afoul of Poe's Law.