Deep Space Nine - best episodes?

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy, all :)

I seem to be on a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine binge. My cable package sucks, so I have no scifi channel, and Star Trek DVDs are MASSIVELY expensive on Amazon and everywhere else I've looked (not that I could afford 7 seasons even if they were cheap-ish), so I'm downloading a few episodes here and there from iTunes.

This brings me to a challenging dilemma - WHICH ONES???

My favourite characters were always Julian Bashir, Miles O'Brien, and Elim Garak, so I'll want to get their best episodes for sure - I've already got Doctor Bashir I Presume, Extreme Measures, and In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light, and probably my next choice will be The Wire. I seem to recall that Past Tense parts 1 and 2 were big favourites of mine, and I will definitely have to get Trials and Tribble-ations at some point.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? What do you think were the best episodes of DS9? Do you remember any that were great for Bashir, O'Brien, and/or Garak? Please help a fangirl out!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My two favorites were very early. The pilot where they met the crew of the mercenary ship, and the one where they realized they were out of replicator material and would have to begin to grow and eat real (but foreign) food. Great reality decisions! :)

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
My two favorites were very early. The pilot where they met the crew of the mercenary ship, and the one where they realized they were out of replicator material and would have to begin to grow and eat real (but foreign) food. Great reality decisions! :)

I definitely want to get the first few episodes, with all of the characters meeting and getting to know each other. This is going to be harder than I thought!

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I recently marathoned the entire series, so this is still fresh for me. :D

Here are some that are must-sees, no matter who your favorite characters are:

"Duet" (season 1)
"The Visitor" (season 4)
"Things Past" (season 5)
"Rocks and Shoals" (season 6)
"Far Beyond the Stars" (season 6)
"In the Pale Moonlight" (season 6)
The Sound of Her Voice" (season 6)

O'BRIEN-CENTRIC EPISODES
"Whispers" (season 2)
"Hard Time" (season 4)

BASHIR-CENTRIC EPISODES
"The Wire" (season 2) - Garek/Bashir episode
"The Quickening" (season 4)
"Our Man Bashir" (season 4) - Garek/Bashir episode
"Statistical Probabilities" (season 6)

Hope this helps... :)

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Hope this helps... :)

That helps a lot!! Thank you so much!! Those are all going on my list. :D

Wow, there are a lot from season 6. It seems to be the season I remember the most vividly, so it must have been good! (And it looked good, too... they all suited the new uniforms so much better.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Garak and Bashir were my favorites. (Their send-up of 007 was hilarious cheese!) Any of the episodes featuring them would make the list, but The Wire was a great one.

Worf's wedding was cheesy fun, too.

DS-9 was definitely my favorite Star Trek of the franchise.

Slight derail, but I think the biggest mistake the rebooted Star Trek movies made is not casting all of the former captains and 1st officers as Star Fleet command. It would have been the perfect cameo. (No Spock, since he was already in it, and no Kirk, since he was having a tantrum, but the rest could have done it.)

Last edited:

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Garak and Bashir were my favorites. (Their send-up of 007 was hilarious cheese!) Any of the episodes featuring them would make the list, but The Wire was a great one.

I loved it whenever Garak had some serious subject matter to deal with, especially in The Wire but also in eps like By Inferno's Light when he had to overcome severe claustrophobia. He was such a hero at heart, however hard he tried to hide it, and Bashir was always there for him. I swear, Bashir had 2 of the best buddyships on television. :)

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Slight derail, but I think the biggest mistake the rebooted Star Trek movies made is not casting all of the former captains and 1st officers as Star Fleet command. It would have been the perfect cameo. (No Spock, since he was already in it, and no Kirk, since he was having a tantrum, but the rest could have done it.)

Hahaha, I can almost picture that! That would have been cool. :D

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
This is my favorite ST, and I've been slowly (and randomly) getting the seasons on DVD. I feel when I watched season 3 that there were a lot of Bashir-oriented episodes. I'm not as big on the titles, though I can usually guess from the title and teaser what ep it's going to be.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
This is my favorite ST, and I've been slowly (and randomly) getting the seasons on DVD. I feel when I watched season 3 that there were a lot of Bashir-oriented episodes. I'm not as big on the titles, though I can usually guess from the title and teaser what ep it's going to be.

I know season 3 had the time travel 2-parter Past Tense, which were my favourite episodes for a while, but I don't remember much else about that season. I've got Explorers and Distant Voices on my list, just from reading the brief summaries on iTunes.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there nothing up on ebay? I wouldn’t know as I never use the site myself, but my other half picks up a lot of stuff there, much of it pretty cheaply.

I love DS9. I think the quality was usually pretty high, even if it did get a touch of mid-series running out of steam-itis, sagging a little around the 3rd or 4th season. Also, IMO the brat-pack story thread in the later episodes was a horrible notion.

I echo dragonjax’s choices and would suggest you get your hands on a copy of Far Beyond the Stars, which is absolutely whackadoodle bonkers. The tribble episode is a gem, too, stacked with great Bashir and O’Brien moments. There’s this one scene…

Happy viewing.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there nothing up on ebay? I wouldn’t know as I never use the site myself, but my other half picks up a lot of stuff there, much of it pretty cheaply.

I love DS9. I think the quality was usually pretty high, even if it did get a touch of mid-series running out of steam-itis, sagging a little around the 3rd or 4th season. Also, IMO the brat-pack story thread in the later episodes was a horrible notion.

I echo dragonjax’s choices and would suggest you get your hands on a copy of Far Beyond the Stars, which is absolutely whackadoodle bonkers. The tribble episode is a gem, too, stacked with great Bashir and O’Brien moments. There’s this one scene…

Happy viewing.

I've never used ebay, and I don't really trust second-hand DVDs anyway - the only time I bought a used boxset, the DVDs were faulty and didn't even have the episodes on them. Thankfully I'd purchased them through Amazon, so I managed to get my money back. Never again!

Is Far Beyond the Stars the one where they're writers in the 1950s? That's definitely on my list. :D

Thanks!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, I think DS9 also had one of the best versions of the opening score. Some of the other series ended up with their scores muted due to the voice overs, but the version they used on this series relied on the instruments rather than words, and the effects (at least for the title sequence) hold up pretty well, even though the series is as old as it is.

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
Incidentally, I think DS9 also had one of the best versions of the opening score. Some of the other series ended up with their scores muted due to the voice overs, but the version they used on this series relied on the instruments rather than words, and the effects (at least for the title sequence) hold up pretty well, even though the series is as old as it is.

I agree. I really enjoy the opening theme every time I watch an episode - going through the tail of the comet, the tour of the station, the music, the little dudes in space suits repairing something, the wormhole opening... totally awesome. :D

By the way, just to confess something here - while other girls my age had pictures of actors/singers/boybands on their walls, I had a 4-page magazine centrefold of the Defiant on mine. That was one beautiful ship... *nostalgic sigh*

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com

When the theme got darker starting in season 4, I quite literally cheered. Oh, the subtle menace beneath the trumpets...! **swoon**

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I probably know which episodes are on Dragonjax's list, but I watched it on television, not DVD, so I have no clue what episodes were named. LOL!