The Walking Dead - AMC

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
That being said, I don't understand the big deal about Bob being "tainted meat". After all, they've already established that everyone is a carrier of the zombie virus now, as you said death from bite is probably more an issue of infection, combined with a weakened immune system. Is there anything in the story about the effects of eating the dead flesh? Or is it just more likely working off the idea that very few people are actually aware that they're all already infected.

I think he just wanted them to puke.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway ... last night's show. Pretty satisfying ending for Gareth. D-bag.

It baffled me, though, that Maggie would leave with Abraham's group, not knowing the fate of her sister Beth. Has she given up on her? (And, will the show be following both groups?)

Wonder if we'll be seeing Morgan again soon.

From the preview, it looks like next week's episode takes us back to Atlanta.

I'm thinking Morgan is the one they didn't show at the end, with Daryl. I don't think it's Carol. I don't know where she is, but the way the ended it last night, I just don't think she's still with Daryl.

I also found it strange that Maggie would just leave. She didn't even put up a fight - hell she volunteered! Nothing about the way she acted made it seem as though she is worried about Beth or didn't really want to go to DC. If she gave up on her, the writers did a poor job of letting us know. I feel like they kind of dropped the ball on this one. I can't imagine they wouldn't follow both story lines, though. Or...they may drop the traveling group for a bit and pop back in to see them once in awhile.

I'm glad we get to see Beth next week. That's Atlanta? Where they were showing her in the "hospital?" (Quotes because who knows what kind of hospital it is...)

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Actually, it's both. Komodo's are venomous, but they also carry multiple strains of bacteria. (Not surprising given their diet and environment.) Depending on the prey in question, and how resilient it may or may not be to the venom, it can die from the secondary infection.

My guess would be that the first, or even first few, sets of prey-remains that were discovered while studying the remains succumbed to bacterial death, rather than venomous. Or, the carcases had so much bacteria in them from the attack that it was an assumed preliminary cause of death that was later disproved, but overlooked by mass media.

Actually, the bacteria theory is a complete myth.

The thing is, that the Dragon's triggering mechanism for delivering the venom is more specific than most animals, and because of their endangered status, it was difficult to study them and nobody could actually manage to get a sample or even detect the venom until 2009.

But we're getting off course now. :p

Faye-M

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely think the person with Daryl is Morgan. Or a total stranger. He wouldn't have to tell someone they know that they can come out now.

I was expecting Maggie to speak up about Glenn volunteering for the both of them, along the lines of "Excuse me, do I get a vote here?" but... nothing. Show your man solidarity, yes, but they didn't even have a conversation about it. Unless they'd already discussed it off-screen? I don't know, but I agree, it was weird. Maybe she thinks they're just as likely to find out where Beth was taken if they're on the road to Washington, or that "making the dead die" will be more of a help to Beth in the long run than sitting around wondering where she is. Still, she could have SAID that.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Yeeeeah. I love this show, but this one was the annual episode that reminds why I have to turn my brain off when I watch, or it will drive me nuts from time to time.

Like with the above mentioned Maggie weirdness. Also, I'm surprised Bob actually made it this far, considering his skull apparently has the hardness of watermelon rind.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I think the person with Daryl is Beth. She'll be arriving back with the group just after her sister left it. And they'll still be separated and each unsure of the other's safety.

Can't wait for next week!

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Comic book readers: I wonder if Sasha is the TV version of the comic version's Andrea? If so...does anyone see Rick and Sasha together at one point?

I really wonder where this season is going. Will Eugene be the real deal or will he fess up on the outskirts of DC? Will the group meet Aaron and join the Alexandria community? And then Jesus and the Hilltop community? Is this all leading up to the Saviors
?

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I will say, this episode had me on the edge of my seat. Literally. Partially because it was all so dark and I couldn't see my screen, haha. I was really interested to see how the whole cannibals vs Rick's group thing went down. I'm glad they didn't keep dragging that out over more episodes. Poor Bob (and Sasha). I have no idea how tainted meat would affect someone, which is why I think they did it, because the cannibals wouldn't know either. I do remember Rick killing all the pigs last season when they got sick so they couldn't pass whatever virus they had to the humans, so maybe the writers were going for something along those lines? I have to just turn my brain off sometimes and watch.

I'm also really curious to see how the group deals with what they did. It's quite a transformation to go from the Season 2 group spending episodes debating whether or not to kill someone, to beating several other people to death with their gun butts without even blinking.

I think Morgan is with Daryl, which makes me wonder how they hooked up and where Carol went/how Daryl ended up on foot in the woods, etc.

Not sure what's going on with Maggie either. I figured she'd put up a fight over staying/leaving, and voice a little more concern over Beth. Maybe she's just over it, though--distanced. Kind of like how Beth quit crying over the dead.

I am really liking this season so far, though!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they were all going to go to DC anyway, right? The only difference is she would be going a few days earlier and securing help for her friends. I'm not sure. It is a bit odd, but it didn't seem so out of character that it was unbelievable to me.

I am wondering if Eugene is full of crap. I've wondered for awhile if he's not either just completely crazy, or if it was a good way for him to get people to help him because he's pretty vulnerable on his own. I do imagine things won't be all hunky dory in DC, though.

James simpson

Registered
Reaction score
Dragonjax: I was thinking the same thing, for a while i was thinking it might be Tara, then i realized i completely forgot that she was gay. But I can't see Rick and Sasha yet. Hopefully they'll follow the comics and meet Aaron and head to Alexandria, I really want to see if they do some of the things they do in the comics (Bash Glenn's head in, shoot Carl's eye out). I'm really curious about the eye considering they skipped Ricks hand.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also really curious to see how the group deals with what they did. It's quite a transformation to go from the Season 2 group spending episodes debating whether or not to kill someone, to beating several other people to death with their gun butts without even blinking.

They've killed people before to ensure their own survival. Lots of people. Sure, it was more brutal this time, but they shot those 2 guys in that bar. Plus while defending the prison. Gareth was going to EAT THEM so I don't feel like they crossed a line in killing the Terminites.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I do think it was very different this time. It was an execution, not self-defense. It was very clear that they were being killed not because they posed a direct threat to Rick and the gang, but because if they were left alive, they would hunt down others and eat them.

I have to say, I was really nervous about the idea of Gareth getting a hold of that baby for awhile.

ninja

Registered
Reaction score
*snip*

I am wondering if Eugene is full of crap. I've wondered for awhile if he's not either just completely crazy, or if it was a good way for him to get people to help him because he's pretty vulnerable on his own. I do imagine things won't be all hunky dory in DC, though.

I think this is it. I don't buy his story at all and think it was just a way to get other people to carry him since he's vulnerable on his own.

That makes this whole story line of "We have to get to DC" extremely frustrating for me. Do they seriously think there's going to be a fully functioning lab with fancy equipment just waiting for Eugene to save the world?

ETA: Even Eugene doesn't seem particularly concerned with getting to DC.

Last edited:

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I do think it was very different this time. It was an execution, not self-defense. It was very clear that they were being killed not because they posed a direct threat to Rick and the gang, but because if they were left alive, they would hunt down others and eat them.

I have to say, I was really nervous about the idea of Gareth getting a hold of that baby for awhile.

I agree with kaitie, it was different this time. Every other time was an immediate threat. They didn't want to hurt anyone in Woodbury or at the prison. I thought it was interesting (not sure if intentional or not) that the spiel Gareth gave Rick was basically the same one Rick gave the Governor. The whole you go your way and we'll go ours thing. Rick knew the Governor would continue on doing the twisted stuff he'd been doing and was content to walk away, but not with Garreth. I think it shows that Rick learned his lesson after the Governor, but I wonder how far he'll push it.

I think this is it. I don't buy his story at all and think it was just a way to get other people to carry him since he's vulnerable on his own.

That makes this whole story line of "We have to get to DC" extremely frustrating for me. Do they seriously think there's going to be a fully functioning lab with fancy equipment just waiting for Eugene to save the world?

ETA: Even Eugene doesn't seem particularly concerned with getting to DC.

I keep thinking its like the group in the first season pushing to get to the CDC. They pinned all their hopes on the CDC being active and figuring it out that they didn't really think about what would happen if it wasn't. I think Abraham is doing the same thing. Just believing they'll have everything together in DC.

I don't think Eugene is faking. Of course I don't know the comic book story, so maybe I'm wrong. The language he's used describing who he is and why he needs to get there doesn't seem like something some idiot from the woods came up with just for protection. Unless he read it in a book somewhere and memorized it during the zombie apocalypse, which doesn't seem likely. I don't, however, think things will be hunky dory in DC either.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Well, they were all going to go to DC anyway, right? The only difference is she would be going a few days earlier and securing help for her friends. I'm not sure. It is a bit odd, but it didn't seem so out of character that it was unbelievable to me.
But why, if they are all going to DC, did the main group split up? Is Rick's group staying behind expressly to search for Beth? Are they waiting for Daryl and Carol?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Rick was staying behind because he said he wouldn't leave without Daryl and Carol because he said he was sure that even if they'd left, they were coming back. Abraham didn't want to wait because it was wasting time and there were too many threats in the area. I think Rick had even basically said they'd meet them there.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I've never thought Eugene was the real deal. For some reason he's always made my liar-antennae twitch, not the least because he almost never makes eye contact. I mean, he could be on the Autism spectrum, and if so I'll be happy to be wrong, but as ninja said, he doesn't seem as committed to a destination as to being in company.

I have to admit, the whole "what about my sister" thing never crossed my mind for Maggie. I guess since I've relegated Beth to the back of my mind, I didn't think about Maggie's reaction. It is odd that she's going along like such a sheep. Very out of character.

Darryl looked guilty to me in that preview. I thought he must have led the "biker" dudes back, but I reallyreallyreally hope it's Morgan. I wished they'd kept him around after those early episodes. He might have PTSD but he knows about defenses.

What are they gonna do with Gabriel? Leave him behind?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm a bit disappointed that the "eating tainted meat" thing didn't have a point. I was kind of hoping that ingesting cooked virus would have produced a result that sparked either more havoc or hope for a zombie-free solution.

I don't like that it was a throwaway.

angeluscado

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad that we finally got to see what's going on with Beth.

Episode thoughts:

I'm so glad that slimy cop, Gorman or whatever his name was, got nommed.

I was kind of hoping for more of Noah, Beth needs an ally in the hospital near her own age. The doc seems okay, except for the whole killing the other doctor thing.

Dawn's intentions are noble, but she's definitely messed up. Not sure if she's Governor-level psycho, though.

Also, CAROL!!! She'd better pull through.

Can't wait for next week! Thankfully, I have NaNo to keep me occupied 'til then.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Mixed feelings about this episode. It wasn't a bad one, but Beth isn't exactly my favorite character. I was glad to find out where she is, but didn't want to stick with her for an entire episode.

I'm also glad Mr. Bad Cop got ate. The "slimy, rapey badguy" thing, while certainly effective, feels like a lazy way to make me hate a one note character. Glad we don't have him around for more than one episode.

So does anyone else now think that the person Daryl was calling out of the woods is probably Noah?

I'm a bit disappointed that the "eating tainted meat" thing didn't have a point.

More than anything, it was probably just a nod to the comics.

Last edited:

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Spoilers:

I had been so sure that we were going to see Beth's demise. I think she was poised to go on a killing spree either to freedom or to suicide by cop when she saw Carol on the gurney.

And OMG, Carol on the gurney.

Well played, showrunners -- you left the best damn scene to the very end. Well played

And I agree re "tainted meat": probably just a nod to the comics.