Doctor Who (may contain SPOILERS for current episodes)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I enjoyed the tree episode because I saw bits of London covered in trees and it looked pretty :D I'm that easy to please.

What was with the sister at the end? Did that even have a point? Anything??
That was so out of place?

Despite all holes and weirdness I do still enjoy this season very much. But I hated Season 7, so maybe that helps.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Yeah, come to think of it, I didn't really "get" the sister coming out of the (hydrangea?) bush either.

I interpreted it as the spacetrees giving Maeve her sister 'back' as a thank you. but that's a weird ability to spacetrees to have. And giving it more thought, I don't think it had anything to do with the trees -- the mum mentioned the hyndrangea problem as something that had been an issue for weeks, long before the space trees started.

But then again, Maeve had also been hearing the spacetrees for weeks as well.

So, er... maybe the spacetrees began working much earlier than they actually appeared?

Or the hydrangeas are the real villain?

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
It just reminded me of Robin Hood getting his Lady back at the end of the episode and now the sister appears at the end of the episode. And while Robin Hood's Lady made sense somehow, despite being cheesy, this here was entirely unnecessary.

Was she the bush?
Did she hide in there?
Did she come back and hide in there?

It actually REALLY bugged me and yes of all the things that could have bugged me this bugged me the most.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe Maeve's sister was secretly the spacetree queen, so she had to disappear so that they could come into being. When they were done with her, they sent her back. :D

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
I didn't watch the episode, so I'm just going to enjoy that sentence out of context.

I wondered what you were doing in this thread. :tongue

*waves a 'CYIA FOR SHOWRUNNER' banner* :D

:Thumbs:

There was a BAFTA Award Winner in Saturday's episode. The girl who played Ruby won one at the Children's BAFTAs in 2011.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
You guys know the next-door neighbour murdered Maeve's sister and buried her under the hydrangeas, right?

Also, those kids were awesome little scene-stealers. We should replace Clara and Danny with Coal Hill's 'Gifted and Talented' class.

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, I needed another excuse to use this banner thingy:

cyiaforshowrunner_zps50bba192.jpg

Not my best--I wanted to add something sparkly--but I think it gets the message across. :)

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
You guys know.... right?

Ok, I'm not quite sure whether I missed something obvious.
Whether you're making stuffs up :D
Whether that is just a theory.
Or whether I missed something obvious.

Because that would be really interesting and make no sense at the same time...

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Side note - Is Maeve actually spelled Maebh in the UK, or am I seeing people quote a typo elsewhere online?

Maebh looks like an Irish spelling to me (kind of similar to Siobhan, where the 'bh' has a similar 'v' sound). So I wouldn't be surprised if Maeve is spelled Maebh sometimes.

My closed-captioning said Maebh.

Regarding the ep, I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the kids. I think it's great how the show is using Clara's job as an excuse to bring them into the story sometimes.

The ending was a bit abrupt. The sister showing up didn't make a ton of sense to me at the time, and it just...ended.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the choppiness of this episode was due to something like that in the Robin Hood one, which was edited last minute (to remove a touchy scene). Maybe there was more to big-sister's story, but it got cut out.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Maebh looks like an Irish spelling to me (kind of similar to Siobhan, where the 'bh' has a similar 'v' sound). So I wouldn't be surprised if Maeve is spelled Maebh sometimes.

My closed-captioning said Maebh.

The correct spelling is Maebh because it's an Irish name. Maeve is the Angloisation of the Irish sound.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
As the season is moving in for the finale, I guess this is a good moment to evaluate.

I liked but didn't love S8 so far. That fast-paced, wtf-heavy pacing they started in S7? I like when a show keeps you on your toes. And I've long accepted Doctor Who as a guilty pleasure rather than a good show, so I can't get as angry as some of the people in this thread when they do their more pretentious bits.

What puts me off, though is that the season pilot made two ... I wouldn't call them promises, more like mission statements that the show hasn't managed to deliver on since.

One: The question of why the long face? I mean, what was he trying to tell himself by being reborn with the face of a guy he saved despite himself back when he was half his current age? (Or maybe it was about something else altogether?)

Two: At the end of the pilot he says something like 'it's time to do something about all the damage he's done'. Or maybe not about the damage itself but about his damage-doing in general. But apart from him being somewhat confused about the best course of action in some of the following episodes, I haven't seen him do much in that department either.

There's a possibility that Two is already the result of One - something like, "I used to be a reckless adventurer type, but that one time I saved some folks and now I get reminded of that every time I shave (assuming I shave), so maybe I should be more concerned with saving people and being less reckless", but that would be a little anticlimactic in my book, and anyway, he didn't become less reckless, just less decisive. Not really seeing it yet.

If anybody thought one of the promises I was referring to had anything to do with Missy - Nope. Those scenes are just annoying because they don't build up toward anything as long as the character isn't grounded in anything that the protagonists are involved in. It's Storytelling 101 - acting like a big bad nemesis doesn't make you one, especially when the guy you're pretending to be a nemesis of doesn't even know you're there.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I feel thick as a brick.

I did not see that coming.

If someone would like to explain how it is possible, please enlighten me.

Spoiler: I thought the Master was blasted to oblivion. How the hell did he regenerate?
Not all that happy that it's clearly another 'Master attempts to destroy the Earth' story

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Rhoda looked up spoilers and OH LOOK! Turns out "Missy" is the Master! Just I figured she would be the second she was introduced! WHAT A FUCKING SURPRISE!

/has not watched a single episode since "Listen"

/regrets nothing

/not bitter at all, why do you ask?

/ugh

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I feel thick as a brick.

I did not see that coming.

If someone would like to explain how it is possible, please enlighten me.

Ugh. I called it back after the first or second episode, but really hoped there would be more too it. :(

It's not aired here, yet, but aside from the always applicable explanation of "Moffat says so, that's why" this season seems to be built and crumbling upon, the Master wasn't destroyed. He was sucked into the Time War with Rassilon and the rest of Gallifrey. Since Gallifrey wasn't actually destroyed the way the Doctor believed it to be, everyone not already killed by the Time War was still alive.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you have a handle on it because I didn't!
I was just reading a recap of tonight's episode in 'The Guardian' and apparently, Moffat had initially said that he would not bring 'The Master' back. That he was gone for good, so, yeah, he's clearly changed his mind, as he did about the Daleks.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
My Evil Dead/Doctor Who crossover fanfiction is more 'shocking' than this.

Also, Moffat lies like a rug. You remember Series 6: "OH no the Doctor's really dead this time--properly, I seriously killed him off! No, I did! Really!"

/UGH

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing this episode reinforced is my belief that Moffat must go...he's a buffoon and an absolute imbecile who's outlived his usefulness as show-runner on DW.

Last edited: