Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I'd say. "I are liking to wear a rokkie! Wif a belt!"

that's probably a wee bit too obscure though...LOL

I speak English, wish some usual SA slang thrown in, I follow Afrikaans no problem. My mom is Afrikaans but she brought us up English. (My father was Danish)

yeah... go figure.

mishy

Registered
Reaction score
Goeie middag mense

Ek is 'n KZN Engels~sprekende Suid Afrikaanse persoon , maar ek ken die taal. Ek kan dit lees , skryf en ook praat !
Nie te goed nie , maar ook nie te sleg nie ? Wat se julle ? Stem jy saam Cassiopeia ?

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goeie dag, almal. (Good day, everyone.)

Uiteindelik! Suid Afrikaners! (At last, South Africans!)
Ek is 'n rooinek van Johannesburg. Waar is julle? (I am an English-speaker from Johannesburg. Where are you?)

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Groete!

Dis soos fietsry, dit kom terug. My Afrikaans is ook 'n bietjie verroes. Op laerskool, in Durbanville in die Kaap, was ek die enigste Engels-sprekende kind tussen vier hondered Afrikaans-sprekende kinders in die kosskool. Ek het Afrikaans as 'n soort selfverdediging geleer. As ek terug dink, was dit 'n baie goeie ding. In 1987 het ek die ATKV prys vir Kinder lektuur ontvang.
Maar, soos hulle se, That was then and this is now.
Nou skryf ek net Engels (geen keuse nie, want ek skryf vir die Amerikanse mark).

Utah! Dink klink fantasties. Wat skryf jy?

BjornAbust

Banned
Reaction score
Afrikaans, eh? 'Com biine en siit' means "come in and sit," doesn't it? I used to have a friend who was studying Afrikaans, and that's the only thing I remember him teaching me.

Derik

Registered
Reaction score
Middag.

Ek's 'n regte egte rockspider. Suiwersoet Afrikaans met 'n Johannesburgse verdraaisel, maar darem nie so erg soos die Pretorianers nie, maar ook nie so rou soos die Overbergers nie. (Ons was laas jaar in Waenhuiskrans - hel dis darem 'n mooi see, maar net bietjie te veel bloublasies en Jellievisse, so my kinders was bietjie skrikkerig.)

Waar bly jy Cass? And you Smoke? Kief, I wonder if that's an Afrikaans word.

Derik

Registered
Reaction score
And, wow, Gail. That is some pretty impressive Afrikaans.

MrFrankenstein

Registered
Reaction score
dag se,
Ek het die Afrikaans gesien - en hier gat ek: ek's a rooinek van Durban. Nou bly ek in die VSA (of is dit USA?) ...weet nie.
My taal is baie swak, ek het dit in die weermag geleer, soos baie ander (rooinek) mense, so my Afrikaans is n bietjie vuil. Ek sal probeer om dit skoon te hou :p
Ek wil net 'howzit' se. Beyond that, my afrikaans fails me. I can understand it almost perfectly, maar, speaking/writing is a hele ander donnerse ding ...
cheers
:)

Last edited:

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Derik and MrFrankenstein,

Howzit! And welcome, Big Time. It's great to have you here.

Derik, lekker ou Durbs! Ek verlang so om 'n bietjie op die strand te wandel. Wat skryf jy? Skryf jy in Engels of Afrikaans?

MrFrankenstein, I have a sneaky feeling that you're living my dream - living and writing in the US. Yes? (En daar is niks fout met jou Afrikaans. Dit klink baie goed!)

Well, the cricket world cup, for us, is over, maar die rugby gaan nog klop disselboom. Of wat se julle?

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Terwijl ik geen Afrikaans spreek is Nederlands mijn moedertaal, dus vind ik dat als ik het hoor praten dan meestal kan ik wel volgen wat gezegdt is...en zo ver voor het geschrevene - nou dat ik het zo zie dan zal het wel wat ontcijferen behoeven - maar dat komt ook wel goed.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terwijl ik geen Afrikaans spreek is Nederlands mijn moedertaal, dus vind ik dat als ik het hoor praten dan meestal kan ik wel volgen wat gezegdt is...en zo ver voor het geschrevene - nou dat ik het zo zie dan zal het wel wat ontcijferen behoeven - maar dat komt ook wel goed.

Hello :) Goeie dag.

Let me see if I've understood this. You say:

While I don't speak any Afrikaans, Dutch is my mother-language, but I find that I can follow most of what has been said here - and so far, what is written - and now that I have we'll see what needs to be decifered (translated?) - but that's also coming along well.

Was I close?

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
nearly on the button -- not so dissimilar really just accentual in speech and different spelling.

I said: while I don't speak any Afrikaans, Dutch is my mother-language(tongue), and if I hear it spoken I can usually follow what has been said, same goes for when written...and from what I've seen here I may need to puzzle/decipher/translate a bit, but that'll come along

Last edited:

Derik

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gail

I'd be jumping the gun to call myself a writer. I would rather call myself a drifter without direction (my wife says it's my midlife crisis). I have a proper job, but I'd love to write. So I did a degree in English (Creative Writing) and I am now doing a degree in Philosophy. So all I'm writing is assignments and exams. My great-granfather wrote a book and I edited it, and while I lived in Tanzania I wrote a few articles for one of the in-flight magazines. I also wrote about 200 pages of my experiences in Tanzania, but got stuck somehow.

I suppose you are a proper writer? What? And where are you in Jo'burg?

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
nearly on the button -- not so dissimilar really just accentual in speech and different spelling.

I said: while I don't speak any Afrikaans, Dutch is my mother-language(tongue), and if I hear it spoken I can usually follow what has been said, same goes for when written...and from what I've seen here I may need to puzzle/decipher/translate a bit, but that'll come along

Ah! I must say it's easier to work out what you're saying when I can see the written word. Listening to Dutch speakers I can only pick out a word or two, here and there. But Dutch has such a rich, melodic sound - it's nice to listen to it even when I don't catch much of what is being said.

I find Afrikaans to be a beautifully ideomatic language that really lends itself to almost poetic expression. I just wish I wasn't so out of practice with it.

Do you write in Dutch too, or only English?

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gail

I'd be jumping the gun to call myself a writer. I would rather call myself a drifter without direction (my wife says it's my midlife crisis). I have a proper job, but I'd love to write. So I did a degree in English (Creative Writing) and I am now doing a degree in Philosophy. So all I'm writing is assignments and exams. My great-granfather wrote a book and I edited it, and while I lived in Tanzania I wrote a few articles for one of the in-flight magazines. I also wrote about 200 pages of my experiences in Tanzania, but got stuck somehow.

I suppose you are a proper writer? What? And where are you in Jo'burg?

No gun-jumping. You're a writer! I hope you carry on writing your about your experiences in Tanzania. It's a fascinating county and I'm sure lots of poeple would enjoy reading about it. I know I would.

Me? A 'proper' writer! :ROFL::roll:
(Okay, now I've got that out of my system.)

Actually I'm a psychotherapist who is more than a little burned out with human angst and looking to immerse myself in human fiction angst. (At least that way I can get to sleep at night because it isn't real.)
I've just completed my fist crime/mystery novel and posted a few pages on AW and got chewed up.
(Actually got accused of literature, twice but I've had therapy and I'm better now. Really. :D)
Also, I discovered that at 194,000 words, my novel is way, way too long so I am in the process of cutting 80,000 words. Not half as much fun as the hours spent forging them.

Anyway, I think writing is all about learning too, so no effort is ever a waste. Oh, and we're in the northern suburbs, near Northcliff. Where are you?

MrFrankenstein

Registered
Reaction score
@GailD Jammer dat ek het so laat geantwoord. Ek bly in eastern Connecticut. In a forest, nogal. As to whether its a dream living/writing in the USA, I'm still trying to work that one out :)
Ek's hierdie ou: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fraser_%28playwright%29

Most importantly, I'm waiting for my latest batch of biltong to be ready :) (Dis baie simple om te maak)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Christina Auret

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinaswritinglog.blogspot.com
Ek is Afrikaans. Dit lyk eintlik asof meeste mense hier meer Afrikaans verstaan as dit praat of skryf, maar ek kom van die Noord-Kaap en die Engels sprekendes is daar nogal dun gesaai. Ek skryf in Engels omdat ek meestal Engels lees, maar dit gaan soms daar maar effens stroom op met my pogings. Sal maar sien hoe dit gaan.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Ek is Afrikaans. Dit lyk eintlik asof meeste mense hier meer Afrikaans verstaan as dit praat of skryf, maar ek kom van die Noord-Kaap en die Engels sprekendes is daar nogal dun gesaai. Ek skryf in Engels omdat ek meestal Engels lees, maar dit gaan soms daar maar effens stroom op met my pogings. Sal maar sien hoe dit gaan.
welkom forums te Absolutewrite. Ek hoop jy geniet dit hier en leer 'n baie soos ek dink ons ​​almal het. Het 'n groot Maandag!

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@GailD Jammer dat ek het so laat geantwoord. Ek bly in eastern Connecticut. In a forest, nogal. As to whether its a dream living/writing in the USA, I'm still trying to work that one out :)
Ek's hierdie ou: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Fraser_(playwright)

Most importantly, I'm waiting for my latest batch of biltong to be ready :) (Dis baie simple om te maak)

OMG! I saw the book titles in your sig but didn't realise you were that IF. Oh, I am in esteemed company here! I loved your show on 702 - used to get up bleary-eyed in the morning from staying up late but I must say you mirrored, almost exactly, my sentiments on SA society. (I even tried to get through a few times but the lines were always busy.)

Long you may you prosper though I think we are the poorer for your relocation.

The biltong is ready and will be on its way as soon as I can figure out how to get it past the beagles.

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Dagse Christina.
:hi:
Welkom by AW. Daar is baie mense hier wat bly sal wees om jou by te staan. In die afdeling Share Your Work (SYW) kan jy jou skryfwerk inpos en vra net vir die soort terugvooring wat jy benodig.
Dan is daar alty 'ekke', wie se Engels is veel beter as my Afrikaans.