Praat Afrikaans?

MrFrankenstein

Registered
Reaction score
Glo dit of nie, maar daai 'Ian Fraser' het homself so genaam ('IanF') sodat niemand gaan dink di's ek.
I know that Ian Fraser from way back. Met him a few times along the way. I have clippings from when he started, the headlines say 'Not the Other Ian Fraser' - and mentioned me :)
So I guess he got trouble because of me from the start... Nice guy though, always friendly.

@GailD me is hardly esteemed company. I'm just another expat nowadays, trying to make a buck with my plays and writing. re the 702 show, yaa, I had fun doing that. They were silly firing me, I mean I'm a trouble maker of note, they employ me to make trouble. I make trouble, then they fire me! It kind of defeated the purpose. They should have realized there was a market for my kind of madness. Especially late night with no kiddies listening and just me and my imagination and motor mouth. It might have kept me in SA longer. Instead, much finger wagging at me, and grumpiness because I kept telling the listeners about how the 702 people would call the listeners 'plantlife' off-mike. And using the occasional rude word :)

On my Facebook under photos, there's a 'Clipping hell' folder with some of the media coverage I gathered along the way: http://www.facebook.com/ianfraser1
(There's a few hundred more clippings but it became too irritating to upload them :p Began realizing my ego didn't need it.)
Like I said, I'm just another SA expat now, with books selling that I couldn't get sold in SA. One door closes, another opens. The trick is to keep on going - and deal with the crushing of ones ego, something a lot of 'well-known' SA people struggle with when they step overseas....

Jammer dat hierdie is in engels, ek kan dit nie in Afrikaans se, dis te komplex :p

Last edited:

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glo dit of nie, maar daai 'Ian Fraser' het homself so genaam ('IanF') sodat niemand gaan dink di's ek.
I know that Ian Fraser from way back. Met him a few times along the way. I have clippings from when he started, the headlines say 'Not the Other Ian Fraser' - and mentioned me :)

Okay, the Other Ian Fraser, if I can't get the biltong past the beagles, you want koeksisters?

MrFrankenstein

Registered
Reaction score
Having just made biltong last week, I'm good for biltong - but I would gladly kill for koeksusters :) The recipes aren't that difficult, its just finding the time to gather all the bits n pieces. Funny the different things SA people crave at times...

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can certainly try. I also have a great recipe for melktert, which comes from Die Saldhanabaai huisvrouliga se resepteboek and one that comes from Kook en Geniet. Which one would you like?

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Erm...both?

Of course. Anything for a fellow Safrican. When I was in Ohio I was invited to a Memorial Day braai and I made a melktert and took it along with me. I was staying in an apartment, so I had a kitchen to work in and I found all the ingredients at the local supermarket. Of course, they didn't have Maizena but cornstarch worked perfectly. (I think it's the same thing.)

At first the melktert was eyed with some suspicion. The name makes it sound bland, I guess (I called it a milk tart) but after a little persuasion they tried it and the tart disappeared in about 5 minutes. I left a copy of the recipe behind but I don't know if anyone's actually made it.

Do you get Marmite there?

MrFrankenstein

Registered
Reaction score
A little melktert recipe that works would be appreciated. 1 vote for melktert :) (I think its easier to do than making koeksisters)

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I made melktart at New Years. I couldn't find my original recipe so I found one online that was okay-ish. I soak Rooibos in the hot milk for a couple minutes to flavour it.

Klinkt goed...wat is melktaart nou dan precies? Net zoiets als kwarktaart?

Do you get Marmite there?

Godversodeju! Ik ben er voor naar VK verhuisd!!

Last edited:

Kennetht04

Registered
Reaction score
Afrikaans as in the Dutch-speaking white Africans? No, I'm not. But I have a dear friend who is, if that counts for anything :)

GailD

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Afrikaans as in the Dutch-speaking white Africans? No, I'm not. But I have a dear friend who is, if that counts for anything :)
:welcome:

No milktart isn't like cheese cake. It's similar to a custard only lighter.

....and better.

Ok, folks. Here's a recipe that I use often. It works a treat and you don't have to make pastry, its crustless. (You can put it in a pastry shell if you like or even make a biscuit base - I've used it with a biscuit base made from crushed Tennis biscuits. You decide.)
Also, I translated it into English so that everybody can try it and give their tastebuds a real treat.

Traditional South African Melktert (Milk tart)

45ml (3 tablespoons) melted butter
3 eggs (separated)
250ml (1 cup) sugar
250ml (1 cup) cake flour
5ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder*
1ml (1/4 teaspoon) salt
5ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla essence
1lt (4 cups) milk
cinnamon sugar

1. Pre-heat oven to 190C (375F).

2. Beat the butter, egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt, and add to the egg mixture.

4. Add the milk and vanilla essence and mix well.

5. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture. Pour into a deep, well-greased pie dish and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top. (Be generous.)

6. Place dish immediately into the oven and bake for 40 minutes reducing the oven temp to 160C (325F) after the first 25 minutes.
Serve warm.

* This is not baking soda! I know baking powder has another name in the US but I've searched through all my cookbooks and can't find it. Cassie, I'm sure you know what it should read.

Anyway, folks. Give this a try. It's really simple and very delicious.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
:welcome:

....and better.

Ok, folks. Here's a recipe that I use often. It works a treat and you don't have to make pastry, its crustless. (You can put it in a pastry shell if you like or even make a biscuit base - I've used it with a biscuit base made from crushed Tennis biscuits. You decide.)
Also, I translated it into English so that everybody can try it and give their tastebuds a real treat.

Traditional South African Melktert (Milk tart)

45ml (3 tablespoons) melted butter
3 eggs (separated)
250ml (1 cup) sugar
250ml (1 cup) cake flour
5ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder*
1ml (1/4 teaspoon) salt
5ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla essence
1lt (4 cups) milk
cinnamon sugar

1. Pre-heat oven to 190C (375F).

2. Beat the butter, egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt, and add to the egg mixture.

4. Add the milk and vanilla essence and mix well.

5. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture. Pour into a deep, well-greased pie dish and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the top. (Be generous.)

6. Place dish immediately into the oven and bake for 40 minutes reducing the oven temp to 160C (325F) after the first 25 minutes.
Serve warm.

* This is not baking soda! I know baking powder has another name in the US but I've searched through all my cookbooks and can't find it. Cassie, I'm sure you know what it should read.

Anyway, folks. Give this a try. It's really simple and very delicious.
Baking Powder is backing powder here too.

I wondered about your crust. I see you used crushed tennis biscuits. For US people, that would probably be closest to a shortbread cookie. I have a crust recipe somewhere.

I can't make milktart until I find a gluten free recipe. I'm now off all grains.

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
Het die Afrikaanse mensies nou soos mis voor die son verdwyn? En dit 'n jaar terug... *krap kop* okei, dan loop ek maar eers om te gaan dagdroom oor melktert en koeksisters...

Wordnotes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notewords.wordpress.com
Hi!

Somewhat hesitant wave from a newbie. I'm not that far from Johannesburg - the Vaal Triangle if that means anything to anybody. The place where you get to see what you breathe!

ravenmuse

Registered
Reaction score
First time I see this thread. - Ja, ek praat Afrikaans. Selfs Nederlands ook. The problem is, my mom is Dutch, but I was raised Afrikaans, so I am actually more comfortable writing in English, because with the similarity of the two languages, they sometimes intermingle a little...

Silence

Registered
Reaction score
Dit was 'n lekker verassing, ek het nie gedink daar sou 'n Afrikaanse thread wees nie.

Hallo almal.