The Flash (CW) - Possible Spoilers

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Not bad. Some nice tidbits (and I'm sure I missed some, since I've never read many comics; most of what I know about DC comes from secondary sources). I loved the glimpse of Grodd's abandoned cage. I laughed out loud, and explained to my girlfriend who Grodd is, and something of the strange history of super-intelligent apes in DC comics.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I liked the show, but didn't understand the reboot part of his mother being killed in some sort of mysterious phenomenon. Did the writers watch the first episode of "Supernatural" too much?

I don't think it had anything to do with Supernatural but was rather linked to the Flashpoint comic run from a couple of years ago where one of Flash's villains from the future goes back in time to kill his mother, Flash follows to stop it and all sorts of different stuff happens.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
They had a few eye-rolly moments, mostly concerning Barry and Iris (seriously? Haven't we all seen it in the Spider Man movies? Twice?), but apart from that it was a very enjoyable pilot. The series, of course, can go either way at this point. But it's the Flash, so it gets a lot of credit for just existing.

As for the mother's death - didn't Wally West's Flash once have a yellow costume? If so, I don't think he killed the mother, (more likely whatever Wally was fighting did, or she got caught as collateral) but saved the boy ('s how he ended up out in the street very quickly, didn't he?).

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
This is the CW. There will be romantic interests. It's kind of like saying, "Hey, don't go to the zoo. There will be animals there...." :)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They had a few eye-rolly moments, mostly concerning Barry and Iris (seriously? Haven't we all seen it in the Spider Man movies? Twice?), but apart from that it was a very enjoyable pilot. The series, of course, can go either way at this point. But it's the Flash, so it gets a lot of credit for just existing. .

Barry Allen has been the Flash and wooing Iris since 1952, beating Webhead by ten years....Tiger.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think it had anything to do with Supernatural but was rather linked to the Flashpoint comic run from a couple of years ago where one of Flash's villains from the future goes back in time to kill his mother, Flash follows to stop it and all sorts of different stuff happens.

Yeah, I was gonna say, that's not really a reboot. That's what happened in Flashpoint and it was one of the biggest storylines in DC history, having reset the entire continuity of the comics to the "New 52" line that's going right now.

I'm kind of excited to see how they deal with the "future newspaper" at the end, since it seems to be alluding to the Crisis on Infinite Earths even from DC back in the 80s (where Barry Allen dies stopping the Anti-Monitor and eventually Wally West - the best Flash of all time! ;) - takes his place.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
A super smart (beyond genius level) ------- who becomes a great super villain against the Flash and other DC notable hero's, including the Green's Lantern and Arrow...

I know who he is but I'm sure some people would appreciate spoiler tags ;)

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
This is the CW. There will be romantic interests. It's kind of like saying, "Hey, don't go to the zoo. There will be animals there...." :)

Barry Allen has been the Flash and wooing Iris since 1952, beating Webhead by ten years....Tiger.

Yeah, I know. It wasn't the what or the who I was having issues with, more the how. The whole notion of neighbors growing up together... it's just been done too often too recently.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I grew up as a Marvel-girl, so someone with a DC background help me out, here.

All previous assumptions aside, is the guy in the wheelchair a villain, or is he future-Barry come back to protect his younger self? Or is he an unknown invented for the TV show?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the pilot. Fine special effects, but the guy in the wheelchair sorta reminded me of the dude in the wheelchair in Dark Angel...only he was in love with the girl and Barry already has a girlfriend.

The lead actor is really about as interesting as used dishwater. Sorry, I get no great vibe from him. I watched the old Flash series--which I largely enjoyed--but I have the feeling that even if the producers introduce some of the more well known Flash foes such as Mirror Master, Zoom, Grodd--and I really want to see a talking ape and also see if I can keep a straight face--it's still going to be the fastest man alive using superspeed and it will become boring.

OTOH, if they somehow work Flash into joining up with the other JL heroes...maybe. Waiting on this first season...

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know who he is but I'm sure some people would appreciate spoiler tags ;)

The second he's on the show...it won't be a spoiler...as it is, it's a scene with an easter egg...personally, I didn't and still don't think a brief explanation of who Grodd is in the comics requires spoiler tags in a thread about a tv show.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't as impressed with episode 2. Just felt off. Like considerable time was spent "catching us all up" on what was going on. Barry, it's not like you were in a COMA for X_Weeks and just WOKE UP recently." I swear, I heard some form of that at least three times. Not at all subtle.

But, I enjoyed the bad guy. I know this first season will probably be more "freak of the week" and less over-arching story, but ahh well. :)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I've been prescribing to the Harrison Wells is actually ((Edited to preserve spoilers))
Oh god, please don't let that be the case. I know DC is no stranger to character assassination, but they'd have to do a to-the-bones rewrite of Booster to make him match Wells. First, Wells is able to at least pass as a high-level scientist. Booster generally isn't an idiot (aspects of the bwahaha era aside) and is good with tech the way a high schooler today might be able to build a computer from scratch with ease, but that's about it. He's also never really been portrayed as great at serious deception, usually using charm and deflection to avoid talking about stuff.

Then there's that if Booster had access to any of the time-travel tech he's ever had, it makes very little sense that he would hop back to the Flash's genesis and hang out just to try and solve a mystery. Maybe if this was actually part of his fixer era and he's there to right a timeline gone wrong, but that leads into another problem - this guy's not just dark, he's a murderer, whatever his motivation. And not even a no-other-choice murderer, the way it played out.

The rumors of it being Rip Hunter make marginally more sense, just because he's a little harder and more ends justify the means at times than Booster, as well as being portrayed as a more solid scientist/engineer. Plus, given his interactions with Booster, we know he has one heck of a poker face. Still not sure I agree, but at least I can sort of see it without wholesale character changes.

Okay, enough teal deer. All that being said, I'm very much looking forward to seeing more from this show. It's nice to just have fun with a superhero for a change. :D

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm finally watching ARROW, so I haven't gotten to the Barry Allen intro yet (still in season 1). But I also watched both eps of THE FLASH because I heard it was a breath of fresh air in the relentlessly gloomy, grim, gritty superheroverse on TV (GOTHAM, ARROW). Got to say, I enjoyed both eps. A hero who does a "wahoo!!!" because he loves running at super speed? Yes, please. :)

Comic book fans: Is it too much to hope for Captain Boomerang? :D

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
If we see a boomerang, even just in passing, I'll be so psyched... :)

As for how Nora died...definitely betting on Professor Zoom/Reverse Flash. But isn't Detective West's parter Eddie Thawne? (That's Professor Zoom's identity.) If so...well. It really doesn't bode well for Iris, now does it?