thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Hopefully this is the right place...

(And yes, I'm contacting people on base and in Spain, but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has any relevant experience)

My husband and I are moving to Spain in a few months with the US military. We are looking into the possibility of bringing an employee with us. He'd be living with us, most likely off base, and paid as an independent contractor.

Is this kind of arrangement even possible? Does anyone know anything about work visas for Spain, and if/how something like this could be arranged without incurring the wrath of the US or Spanish governments?

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Wow, how exciting for you! I imagine a work visa is possible, since I went to a school in Mallorca where the parents of the students (and the teachers) were from the States and many worked in the area.

Mind you, this was in the Franco days so things might be a bit different.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
In the UK there's a special visa category for domestic workers travelling with their household. They have to have worked for you for at least a year and fit into specific roles (chauffeur, cook, nanny etc). My guess is that all EU countries would have something similar, but you'll need to check.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I would suggest you try asking in the Spanish thread, but I know most posters on there are the non-European Spanish speakers...

Have you contacted an Embassy directly, yet? (I'm assuming yes, knowing you, but figured I ask anyway).