The Pirates of Penzance.

Ladyxkaa

Consigliere to Don Fluffles
Registered
Reaction score
Website
z4.invisionfree.com
What's your favorite bit of it? Mine would have to be the Modern Major-General bit. I can even kinda keep up when he starts singing really fast, from watching the song on youtube so many times.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
One of my favorite musicals! Next to the Modern Major General, I'd have to say With Cat Like Tread. (There's a movie version from the 80s starring Kevin Klein and Linda Rondstadt - he's hilarious as the pirate king).

I was lucky enough to be part of the orchestra for a production of this several years ago - it's such a fun piece to play start to finish :)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I love all of it. As a kid of course it was "I am a Pirate King!", I do love a good swashbuckling song (maybe just maybe I enjoy pirates a wee bit - she said pointing towards her novels in her signature). Second I guess is when the pirates come to attack and say they are being all stealthy and quiet and stuff all the while singing at the top of their voices :) .

And as a kid the paradox song also totally blew my mind. He's only 5?!?!?

But of late I really enjoy the number where they send off the policemen to face down the pirates and sort of mock the idea of death as a glorious honour (and at the same time utterly terrifying the poor policemen):

"Go ye heroes, go to glory, though you die in combat gory, Ye shall live in song and story. Go to immortality! Go to death, and go to slaughter; Die, and every Cornish daughter, with her tears your graves shall water, go ye heroes, go and die!!"

I really love this show :) .

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in high school, many years ago, I was part of the school production of Pirates. I was just in some chorus of women, singing a song I've forgotten, but I remember I got to wear a flouncy long skirt and twirl a pretty parasol. And I remember how bright the lights were! And that the cast parties were always the best part of these events.

:D

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
What's your favorite bit of it? Mine would have to be the Modern Major-General bit. I can even kinda keep up when he starts singing really fast, from watching the song on youtube so many times.

I think that's my favorite as well. I'm impressed that you can keep up! This brings back memories of my childhood when I'd listen to my parents' Gilbert & Sullivan album collection. I'm Called Little Buttercup is another favorite of mine.

Ladyxkaa, did you ever see the movie Topsy Turvy? If not, you should.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh TOPSY TURVY is wonderful! It's about the making of the MIKADO not PIRATES, but I love the MIKADO too so I'm totally down with that :) .

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
That film is one of our favorites. So much great music, and so many funny bits. We especially like the songs, "Poor Wand'ring One" and "My Eyes are Fully Open/Matter Patter." How may takes it took them to get that one right without missing a word is anyone's guess!

Last edited:

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the 80s bastardization "the pirate movie" before I saw the pirates of Penzance. Christopher Atkins was yummy, but a terrible actor. Cat like tread is my favorite song, but the police were my favorite to watch.