A few questions

StarWombat

Burrowing Mammal Par-Excellence
Registered
Reaction score
With the help of Stacia Kane's How to be a Sex Writing Strumpet, I decided to go back to the end of my novel and rewrite the consummation scene. Since it's the first time I'm writing a sex scene to any great extent (Before my decision, the entire event was over in about 300 words, which looking back feels kind of lame) I'm kind of at a bit of a loss.

I know the general direction I want events to go in, but early on I decided I wasn't going to use anatomical terms in this book. I don't know why I decided that, but decide it I did.

The question becomes, then, should I stick with it for the consummation scene? Should I make explicit the change in the way the characters think about their bodies? Or should I stick to the poetic alternatives I've been using so far? Or should I go back and rewrite all sexual references to be more explicit? What do people want, I suppose, insofar as that matters when it comes to telling the story I want to tell.

Am I even being clear with my poetic language? When I say 'the jeweled tips of her breasts' am I making any sense or just being poetic for no good reason?

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Am I even being clear with my poetic language? When I say 'the jeweled tips of her breasts' am I making any sense or just being poetic for no good reason?

Well, there is a large middle ground between anatomical, and purple prose. 'Jewelled tips of her breasts' strikes me as the latter, and if I read that in a novel I would roll my eyes. The only time I have ever used words like jewel, or ruby to describe nipples is when it was on a statue that actually has ruby-encrusted nipples :D

My advice would be to read widely in the kind of romance you're trying to write - no, it's not a short cut, but it's the only way to develop a feel for the language, tone and mood you want to evoke. If you want to write a sex scene, read all different kinds - from sweet and coy to hot and explicit. Find what suits your story and emulate those things.

StarWombat

Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Okay. I'll take a look around.

StarWombat

Registered
Reaction score
I just posted my first sex scene in the erotica syw forum, if anyone wants to take a look and tell me how it is.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Psst! Over here. (Whispers: ) You'll get more feedback if you edit this post to put in a link to the SYW story.

And even more if you give us a sentence or two on what it's about. Why? Some people [me-me-me!] feel unqualified to critique certain common types of erotic fiction because they don't read it, don't know the tropes, pitfalls, etc.

Maryn, hoping you get lots of input

Edited because colon-close parentheses becomes a smilyface.