Rejectomancy

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sian. I have a flash there too, at 15-days, but it's in the reprint pile with a different editor.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
1-day form R Lightspeed. They're still reading for regular issues -- it's a separate submission link than the one for Women Destroy SF.

Dani -- Someone was listening. And Cat Rambo is running for vice president of SFWA. I hope Lightspeed makes their 3rd stretch goal. They retitled the Kickstarter 'Women Destroy All Genres.' A worthy cause.

Brandon M Johnson

hard at work
Registered
Reaction score
1-Day R from Black Static. It said send more, but was probably a polite form.

FYI, Black Static is now accepting electronic subs, just like Interzone. Stats on the Grinder, and my own experience, suggest that their response times are now much faster, like Lightspeed fast.

And sorry for all the recent R's, everyone, especially for the Lightspeed special issue.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Personal rejection from Phobos. Editor liked the story but it didn't fit. :(

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I hoped flying across the country for a week would shake things up and some acceptances would fall into my inbox, but no. A few rejections, including a 22-day from Interzone.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Personal rejection from Phobos. Editor liked the story but it didn't fit. :(

Sorry to hear about the R, Gnome. Hopefully you'll have better luck at the next market. How long was your story with Phobos? I'm waiting for a reply from them and want to try and figure out how long I have to wait.

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
4-day personal R from Shimmer, with constructive feedback and "I hope you will try us again."

Brandon -- I choose to take "send more" literally. It soothes the last few shreds of my ego. :)

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
rejectolance! women destroy sci-fi, tinhouse, something else (IDK) and I think I put them out again, not sure. Wait, yeah.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
40-something day R from Pank this week. All else very quiet and likely to be for some time.

Gnome

Registered
Reaction score
Much rejection. Such sad.

I got two rejections today!

Dani79

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daniellengales.com
One's bad enough. Hang in there, Gnome. Make it positive--start counting them and buy yourself something nice when you hit 100. That's my plan!

Commiserations on the R's, all. All quiet here recently, except for one R from PodCastle a few days back for a reprint. Nothing but crickets on my other subs.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
What is it about Valentine's Day that leads it to be a big rejection day. I once got 3 on Valentine's day. Where's the love?

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Form rejection from Lightspeed's WDSF. Sent it out again to Analog, so I can forget about it for a while.

Question: Duotrope tells me that Abyss&Apex usually acknowledge within one day. I've had something there for 10 days with no acknowledgement. Do they always acknowledge? I don't want to waste 180 days only to discover that they never got it, but I don't want to query so quickly if they don't always acknowledge.

Ephiny0

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahbyrne.org
Abyss & Apex have an autoresponder, so you should at least get a form response to say they've received your email. If you didn't get even that, it might be worth querying or resending.

I got another email a few days later to say my submission was being held for further consideration (and I see on Duotrope there were some quick rejections around the same time as well) though I imagine response times probably vary depending on how busy they are.

Melinda Moore

Registered
Reaction score
One's bad enough. Hang in there, Gnome. Make it positive--start counting them and buy yourself something nice when you hit 100. That's my plan!

I did that! Also celebrate when you get that hundreth submission out there :)

StormChild

Registered
Reaction score
Abyss & Apex have an autoresponder, so you should at least get a form response to say they've received your email. If you didn't get even that, it might be worth querying or resending.

Much appreciated, Ephiny. I didn't receive either an autoresponse or a bounce, so it seems like the sub disappeared into the aethyr somewhere between here and there.

I've queried, but we're now outside their submission period so I'm not expecting much. At least I'm not going to wait 180 days to find out it's missing.