What genre on amazon?

Jacob_Wallace

Registered
Reaction score
Since many people worry about being filtered into the adult section of amazon, I'm guessing they're not marking their books as erotica on the genre selection part. If that's the case, what genre do you mark it as? Just romance with target age of 18?

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
If it has the adult flag, your book doesn't come up in searches. The adult flag has more to do with your blurb than cover than the genre. It's amazon's way of keeping their search results "clean," so to speak.

I've seen this happen where I'll search for a specific author and not have the book I'm looking for show up. I have to search for the exact title and author, and then I get a screen saying -your search result contains adult content, blah blah, click this if you're sure you want to continue... (and Amazon doesn't "remember" when you click this, so you have to do it every time). In other words, the book becomes invisible for all intents and purposes. (It doesn't come up when people browse the genre, search for key words, etc.--the only people who see it are the ones already looking for it.)

Erotica is a genre. 50 shades is "erotica." It doesn't have the adult flag ;)

SierraLee

Boldly Nervous
Registered
Reaction score
Right. I've been putting all my books into the erotica category and none of them have gotten flagged (though I suppose it could be impending).