Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:heart:

immature fangirly news: ED QUINN FAVORITED ONE OF MY TWEETS.

BRB, gonna die with giggles now.

:)

And what did you say???

@Sian- I am going to disagree with the others. One year is a kinda long time. Do you still have to pay for housing and food? In this economy I would work first, study more later. I know a lot of vets who got out of school, some didnt get a job instantly, and some got a job they hated but they had to pay the bills and loans and were too afraid to switch.

You can self study a language and then take clases. You can make friends who speak the language. Aside from fun, will it help you?

One year of not working means one year of lost income, not saving for retirement (yes, you have to start thinging of that, or at least before you hit 25 or 30.) If you hit any major bills you wont have the savings built up, etc.

So financial doom and gloom ;) But I didn't get a job for almost three months after graduating and was later unemplyeed for about the same time. Given what I see vets around me dealing with to stay afloat, I think school can easily become a trap. Tread wisely and be prudent. There are lots of ways to reach your goals.

(ofc, I'm taking acupuncture classes but the three flights to the three sessions are going to kill me and take awhile to earn back)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Well I had stuff to quote, but by now the questions have been answered.

So Good Morning!

So the boys and I are consistently waking up at 5:30 am, and I think I'm okay with that. And I think I need to start putting Little K down earlier for his naps.

Anyway, I'll be writing today. I'm working on this short story but I have no clue how long it's going to be. I'm thinking about 5000 words. And then I'm going to put it on my blog and I'm wondering if I should break it up into parts. Not sure anyone who's geared to read a blog post will read 5000+ words in one go.

Anyway, how's your day so far?

eatoncrow

Registered
Reaction score
I'm good! I have almost 1k words down and I don't feel like slowing down yet.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Hurray! Achievements! I too have achieved: CLEANING!

Now it is time for lunch.

Wait. This is a thing? :Wha:

Yes, it is a thing, in some fantasy stories. The ladies are all like "Oh my magical powers have GONE because my Aunt Flo-flo has arrived!"

Exactly what connection this has to any magical powers is rarely made clear.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for achievments :)

Kricket- why do you want the short for your blog? Many markets take stories of that length. And what's it about?

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
*Debio enters with a large rolled up carpet over his shoulder*
*He hurries to the freezer and sneaks inside, bumping the carpet once on the frame.*
*A few minutes later he comes back out and sits at the bar drinking his beer and occasionally giggling*

Aww, I was hoping it was a Johnny Depp clone... *sniffle*

DNO3a.gif

This just made me giggle. Out loud. I keep watching it like Scully in the episode of the Simpsons watched Homer jogging.

Hurray! Achievements! I too have achieved: CLEANING!

Now it is time for lunch.
<snip>
Yes, it is a thing, in some fantasy stories. The ladies are all like "Oh my magical powers have GONE because my Aunt Flo-flo has arrived!"

Exactly what connection this has to any magical powers is rarely made clear.

*hangs out near Psycho in hopes that some cleaning mojo will rub off*

*I* get a lunch break today! There may well be short-story betaing happening after I post this.

Yeah, there're lots of belief systems that say a woman's cycle is related to her magical prowess. If the society is more patriarchal/patrilineal, then it tends to be that women lose their powers or become unclean during oestrus (this definitely hearkens back as far as the old testament, but is probably much older). In matrilinear societies, in particular (where inheritance follows the mother's line), oestrus is seen as a time of power (sometimes good, but usually it's 'wild magic' where anything can happen if you wish it hard enough, but it's rarely ever good)... Interesting stuff. :D

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for achievments :)

Kricket- why do you want the short for your blog? Many markets take stories of that length. And what's it about?

Um, well, I've never even tried submitting a short story before. I don't generally write them. Plus, this is supposed to be for the blog chain.....

And um.... *sees whole new possibilities open up* I must ponder this...

Quick question though: If I do post it on my blog can I not get it published elsewhere?

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
ION, I've written a few words for a blog post.

And I have hot chocolate! And later I shall have chocolate chip cookies. I love Chocolate Thursdays. :D

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
@Sian- I am going to disagree with the others. One year is a kinda long time. Do you still have to pay for housing and food? In this economy I would work first, study more later. I know a lot of vets who got out of school, some didnt get a job instantly, and some got a job they hated but they had to pay the bills and loans and were too afraid to switch.

You can self study a language and then take clases. You can make friends who speak the language. Aside from fun, will it help you?

One year of not working means one year of lost income, not saving for retirement (yes, you have to start thinging of that, or at least before you hit 25 or 30.) If you hit any major bills you wont have the savings built up, etc.

So financial doom and gloom ;) But I didn't get a job for almost three months after graduating and was later unemplyeed for about the same time. Given what I see vets around me dealing with to stay afloat, I think school can easily become a trap. Tread wisely and be prudent. There are lots of ways to reach your goals.

(ofc, I'm taking acupuncture classes but the three flights to the three sessions are going to kill me and take awhile to earn back)

All this is very true. I sent an email to the course co-ordiantor asking about the practicalities ect. I'm not entirely sure he'll give it the go ahead anyway, but yeah - the money thing is an issue. Not a massive one, but still.

As for work, I should be fine. *crosses fingers* Unemployment here tends to hover around 4.something percent, so I should still be able to get work.

It would also be cheaper to do it through uni, as the system here means you only have to pay once you start earning over 40000/year. And then you're only drip feeding it back through your tax. As opposed to have to pay 400 dollars up front for seven weeks worth.

Anyway, there's a lot to think about, and I think I'll wait till my unit co-ordinator gets back to me to make my decision. Thanks to those who have given their opinions.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having my signature chocolate banana smoothie later. 100% organic :)

@Sian- sounds like a plan

Um, well, I've never even tried submitting a short story before. I don't generally write them. Plus, this is supposed to be for the blog chain.....

And um.... *sees whole new possibilities open up* I must ponder this...

Quick question though: If I do post it on my blog can I not get it published elsewhere?

A story for a blog chain?

And like with novels, you give up first rights when putting it online. Given the market, it is even harder to sell a short without first rights.

Otoh, many short contracts will allow you to republish after a year. So you can freely put it on your blog after. But if its already published and available free online, you can link to it of course.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having my signature chocolate banana smoothie later. 100% organic :)

That sounds yummy!

A story for a blog chain?

And like with novels, you give up first rights when putting it online. Given the market, it is even harder to sell a short without first rights.

Otoh, many short contracts will allow you to republish after a year. So you can freely put it on your blog after. But if its already published and available free online, you can link to it of course.

Hm, I must continue to think about this. I guess we'll see how good the end product is and if I think it's strong enough to try getting it published. I don't know much about short story publication because I never thought about doing it.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
ION, I've written a few words for a blog post.

And I have hot chocolate! And later I shall have chocolate chip cookies. I love Chocolate Thursdays. :D

I may have eaten a whole block of mint lint chocolate about two hours earlier...:gone:

And here I was thinking it was losing popularity. *Hugs bar of chocolate*

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kricket- Duotrope has a list of semi pro and pro markets on down. And we have a shorts forum on AW.

And speaking of shorts, I still need help/ideas with the Secret Santa. I need to get sign ups up soon.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Urgh. I was literally one question away from completeing my tax when I realised that my education debt statement, which I have to note down just in case I earn over the threshold (which I haven't), is at home.

I was ---> <---- this close. urgh.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Morning folks. I have not backread. I am kinda brain-dead this morning.... :(

:Hug2:s to all who need them.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I've been spending my morning arranging women into folders.

...and by that, I mean pictures and art of females in computer folders.

:D

Also, more :Hug2:s!

Stanley_Ford

Slacker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Feeling blah today. This is sad because a lot of good has happened. Not sadness squidish just blah. Hope everyone has a good day. Back to beta-ing.

Debio

Back from the land of the dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Erm, as High Guardian of the E-Z-Freeze, I'm going to need you to fill out these forms and sign this waiver if you want to keep someone in there.

I can fill out paper work, no problem. But, exactly what am I waiving? I'm really gonna need him back at some point. He's kinda crucial to saving the universe.

Feeling blah today. This is sad because a lot of good has happened. Not sadness squidish just blah. Hope everyone has a good day. Back to beta-ing.
Well, I just got me some gourmet hot chocolate from the chocolate shop at the station. I also have some cheap coffee. Both work for blah.

Take your pick.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
In other, totally immature fangirly news: ED QUINN FAVORITED ONE OF MY TWEETS.

BRB, gonna die with giggles now.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Oh. Oh dear. Oh my. It's...mesmerizing...

Not necessarily. See below.

I don't 100% agree with this. There is some debate on this issue, particularly if you're putting up snippets or a draft, and some publications specify that posting something on your blog does not disqualify it from publication with them.

I believe you can also, Kricket, put the piece up for the duration of the blog chain, then pull it for finalizing and submission. Again, check the requirements of the market to be sure they don't specifically prohibit this, but I've seen many say it's not an issue (so long as it's not still out there in the same version).

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily. See below.

I don't 100% agree with this. There is some debate on this issue, particularly if you're putting up snippets or a draft, and some publications specify that posting something on your blog does not disqualify it from publication with them.

I believe you can also, Kricket, put the piece up for the duration of the blog chain, then pull it for finalizing and submission. Again, check the requirements of the market to be sure they don't specifically prohibit this, but I've seen many say it's not an issue (so long as it's not still out there in the same version).

Well I guess I could do that. Put up a rougher draft for a month or so and then polish it up and take the old draft down before I start submitting it.

You guys have really got me excited to try and publish this. :)

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
ION, because it is Chocolate Thursday here, I am allowing Little K to have chocolate milk.

He says, "Tank You!"

:D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: to Gina and Ford and everyone else who needs them.

And mmmm, chocolateeeee.

hillaryjacques;7684437 Not necessarily. See below. I don't 100% agree with this. There is some debate on this issue said:
Interesting. I'm glad this is becoming less strict, but I wonder if markets are still going back and forth on this. If some big names lead the charge, the markets might be more flexible long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.