Writing on Devices (Or, "Oh, How I Love My Tablet!")

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Another thread about HOW we write. (-:

I recently received a tablet for my birthday. It's a Samsung and it's 10"...that's about all I know. I don't really pay attention to the details. (-;

I downloaded the free app version of OfficeSuite. Just to try it out. I have been trying to write on my phone...but found it to be just a bit too small.

Turns out I LOVE MY TABLET for writing. It's more portable than my laptop. The keyboard within the app is a great size. It just WORKS.

Today, I upgraded to the Pro version of OfficeSuite. I've become ad-free...so more screen space for my Word doc. I think I'm going to put my laptop in storage. Loving both writing AND editing on my tablet.

Anyone else ready to break free? (-: What are you writing on?

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Really? The touchscreen keyboard works for you? I hate that thing :-/

Made it impossible for me to type fast.

I considered buying an external keyboard for the tablet but then decided may as well use my laptop.. so I'm still on my laptop. It's a 13 inch MacBook Pro.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Touchscreen works fine for me. I'm an extremely fast typist...and haven't ever had problems transitioning between devices. I actually have written on my phone...but wasn't completely happy with it. Knew I wanted something between laptop and phone...but was always too lazy to do something about it. Being with a great gift giver has its pluses.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I got a tablet two years ago that I tried writing on. It had a pretty decent screen size, and I got the external keyboard. But I had trouble finding an app I liked that was compatible with Word, which is where I do most of my editing on my bigger laptop.

Taking the files back and forth between Word and the app ruined them--terrible, terrible formatting problems I can't fix now. I'm just going to have to paste the whole thing into Notepad and then back into Word and reformat.

So I stopped using the tablet for basically anything. But if the OfficeSuite app works pretty well, I might give it a try again.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I got a tablet two years ago that I tried writing on. It had a pretty decent screen size, and I got the external keyboard. But I had trouble finding an app I liked that was compatible with Word, which is where I do most of my editing on my bigger laptop.

Taking the files back and forth between Word and the app ruined them--terrible, terrible formatting problems I can't fix now. I'm just going to have to paste the whole thing into Notepad and then back into Word and reformat.

So I stopped using the tablet for basically anything. But if the OfficeSuite app works pretty well, I might give it a try again.

I will try the switching back and forth and see if the formatting goes wonky. My file from my laptop opened fine with no formatting issues in OfficeSuite on the tablet...but I haven't tried the other way around. Here's hoping!

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Not sure what tablet you're on, but MS Office is available for iPad.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I have an Asus Transformer which is... well, it's kind of the bastard child of a tablet and a computer. It's an 11 inch tablet with detachable keyboard running full Windows. I use it for most everything except for stuff I need CDs for (no CD player).

When it comes to actual mobile stuff I do use evernote a lot...

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I've been thinking of getting a tablet since the third time my 2-year-old laptop needed a new hard drive. Somehow, though I shut down before I moved it, and transported it in a padded case, it seems that my hard drive was not built to be portable. I bought the laptop intending for it to be my one and only computer, but I can't risk actually taking it anywhere.

I have an iPad and a physical keyboard, and I can write on it, but I can't edit. I have decent editing software, but I really miss my mouse and the Windows commands my fingers have become accustomed to.

I figure a tablet (with keyboard and mouse) would be the best solution, but I'm not ready to invest in that just yet. I'd like to get one book actually out in the world before I spend any more money on writing aparatus...

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Touchscreen works fine for me. I'm an extremely fast typist...

I think my problem is that all my fingers are resting on the keys on a touchscreen that gives multiple inputs at once... and then it doesn't register. My hand is always hovering so close to the keys that my fingertips keep touching them.

Couldn't make it work. Might have to try again.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, if using a tablet works for you, then don't stop! We all do the same work with different tools. I work best with a manual typewriter. Brian Jaques wrote all twenty-something "Redwall" books with a No. 2 pencil and a legal pad. C.S. Lewis hand-wrote all of his stuff and then had his brother retype them.

Whatever helps you produce the most. I can certainly see the advantage of a tablet.

RikWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I have an Asus Transformer which is... well, it's kind of the bastard child of a tablet and a computer. It's an 11 inch tablet with detachable keyboard running full Windows. I use it for most everything except for stuff I need CDs for (no CD player).

When it comes to actual mobile stuff I do use evernote a lot...

I have the same Asus and I love it. It's perfect for writing and I can take it anywhere.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I use the shiny new laptop husband bought me to stop all the arguments over the desktop. I would consider using a tablet, if I had one.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I have an I-pad Air and I cannot type for anything on the touch keyboard. BUT, I do like the I-Pad and am looking to buy a bluetooth keyboard for it.

What does OfficeSuite look like on the tablet? Do you like it?

RJenn

Registered
Reaction score
Really? The touchscreen keyboard works for you? I hate that thing :-/

Made it impossible for me to type fast.

I considered buying an external keyboard for the tablet but then decided may as well use my laptop.. so I'm still on my laptop. It's a 13 inch MacBook Pro.

I recently purchased an external keyboard for my kindle fire since I don't have a personal laptop anymore. I don't always love it - it's connected to my Kindle via bluetooth and sometimes the connection drops. But it serves it's purpose overall. In your case, I'd recommend you save your money.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What does OfficeSuite look like on the tablet? Do you like it?

It looks an awful lot like MSWord, actually. Just little differences here and there. Just a matter of getting used to where everything is.

I kinda like that, as I'm reading, I can pop the keyboard away...and bring it back up to continue typing.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I write on my iPad sometimes. My main computer is a 17" MacBook Pro, which is just too big and heavy to carry around. I find the iPad's on-screen keyboard perfectly acceptable too and am pretty fast at using it. The only slightly annoying thing is having to look at the keyboard while I'm typing since there's no tactile feedback to touch-type.

I use an app called Textilus to write in because it works in .rtf format which is the same format as Scrivener and my other writing programs. I've never lost formatting as long as I use that app.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I figure a tablet (with keyboard and mouse) would be the best solution, but I'm not ready to invest in that just yet. I'd like to get one book actually out in the world before I spend any more money on writing aparatus...

I feel that way all the time--like, I have to justify spending money on stuff that will help me write a book by already having written a book.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
I just write on my desktop, but I have written on a tablet (and on my phone), and I found them quite nice. I don't know if I typed any faster, but I definitely wasn't any slower.

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Alphasmart Dana. Great keyboard, no distractions, hard to edit so it keeps you writing that first draft. Plus it has great battery life, it's easy to use indoors or out, it's practically indestructible and it cost £30 on ebay. Transfer to any word processor on the computer via SD card or magic cable.

Dmbeucler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmbeucler.blogspot.com
I tend to first draft on my alphasmart, who I have literally loved the "T" key right off. I tend to do most of my content editing on my kindle fire. I adore the portability of these devices, since with a soon to be 4 year old, I need to get out of my house to get work done. But the alphasmart is a PITA to content edit on or even catch typos. The Kindle is tetchy about formatting things. I have a bluetooth keyboard and to use a quote or an apostrophe you have to hit function and training my fingers to that only on the kindle is a little annoying. Next time I think I'll get a bigger keyboard/screen size as well.

And then I manage all my files, the whole manuscript, and all the copy editing stuff on my desktop with it's nice wide monitor.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I've tried using my Zoom to write, but when I hit backspace it deletes the last 5 characters instead of only 1. I end up spending more time fixing stupid mistakes than writing. Otherwise, I'd probably use it.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My only laptop is for work and I don't have a tablet. So I write 20th-century old-school on the desktop in my home office.

Tomorrow I'm going to yell at you to turn your goddamn music down and get the hell off my lawn.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My only laptop is for work and I don't have a tablet. So I write 20th-century old-school on the desktop in my home office.

Tomorrow I'm going to yell at you to turn your goddamn music down and get the hell off my lawn.

LOL! You just reminded me of one of my fave 80s movies!

MV5BMTc1OTk0MTY5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjU4MzQyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR2,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I have a first gen Microsoft Surface with the Type cover (a keyboard and laptop-style trackpad) and I do all my writing on it. It's super portable, types beautifully, comes with Office, and most importantly, it's mine and not used by anyone else in the house.

Plus if you leave it in flight mode the battery will last for well over a week without charging. Also stops distractions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.