Hilary Mantel Short Story Accused of 'Bad Taste'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks that fantasizing about killing a politician is "deranged" behavior has clearly never had much interaction with the average person. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm not the average person, and neither are my friends or family. At least not in the way this deranged writer went about it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
She has every right to write such a story, but those who read it have every right to respond as they have. This is the nature of writing.

I do find her somewhat sick, but probably just more of a fool than anything else. This is not a story I would write, but it's not something I would believe or think or fantasize about, either, so maybe that's the difference.

Anyway, freedom of speech and freedom of expression do not change morality, or and being a writer is no more a license to commit wrong than anyone else has. Being a writer is not special, and comes with no "get out of responsibility free" cards.

I fully support her right to think as she wishes, and to write whatever she wishes. I also support the right of anyone who reads it to think she's a depraved idiot.

I do find the police aspect troubling, but we've had people right here get into serious trouble for writing a story about classroom shootings, and other such things. I suspect a story posted on a blog that's about assassinating Obama might get someone in serious trouble, even though it's fiction.

This is highly troublesome, but personal opinions about us because of what we write are normal, and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
What would be tasteless would be to write about a necromancer resurrecting Thatcher so they could assassinate her, rinse, repeat. Maybe a necromancer who runs a whole business of resurrecting hated figures so they can be assassinated.

That would be really tasteless.

Yup.

'Scuse me, gotta visit the plot bunny hutch.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Mantel is neither sick, deranged nor a fool. She wrote a story that some people don't like. That's all.

Also, RYFW.

Last edited:

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
She has every right to write such a story, but those who read it have every right to respond as they have. This is the nature of writing.

I do find her somewhat sick, but probably just more of a fool than anything else. This is not a story I would write, but it's not something I would believe or think or fantasize about, either, so maybe that's the difference.

Anyway, freedom of speech and freedom of expression do not change morality, or and being a writer is no more a license to commit wrong than anyone else has. Being a writer is not special, and comes with no "get out of responsibility free" cards.

I fully support her right to think as she wishes, and to write whatever she wishes. I also support the right of anyone who reads it to think she's a depraved idiot.

I do find the police aspect troubling, but we've had people right here get into serious trouble for writing a story about classroom shootings, and other such things. I suspect a story posted on a blog that's about assassinating Obama might get someone in serious trouble, even though it's fiction.

This is highly troublesome, but personal opinions about us because of what we write are normal, and there's nothing at all wrong with it.

I am not surprised that politicians looking for reasons to be outraged might equate "A piece of fiction about assassinating Margaret Thatcher" with "Fantasizing about assassinating Margaret Thatcher," but it does surprise me that a writer would.

One shudders to think how depraved, sick, and immoral Vladimor Nabokov, George R. R. Martin, Suzanne Collins, and Stephen King must be.

There's also a bit of a difference between speculations about assassinating a sitting President and speculations about assassinating a deceased person. Not that I think the former should be off-limits, but it's understandable that the police might be slightly more concerned about hypothetical threats to someone who's actually alive.

ghost

Hey, that's my bike!
Registered
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.
North Korea threatens war and pleads with the UN to stop the release of the Interview because it's about assassinating Kim Jong Un.

No one takes it seriously and thousands mock North Korea. It becomes the hilarious running joke of the week.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/11/seth-...-jong-un-complaint-stop-movie-united-nations/

An author writes about *thinking* of assassinating a dead woman and there is suddenly a shit storm?

Leadership aside, this is rather hypocritical.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I am not surprised that politicians looking for reasons to be outraged might equate "A piece of fiction about assassinating Margaret Thatcher" with "Fantasizing about assassinating Margaret Thatcher," but it does surprise me that a writer would.

To be fair, Mantel did indicate that seeing Thatcher unguarded was the inspiration for the story.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She would have had to fantasize about time-traveling in order to kill someone already dead.

Seriously problematic. Clearly the woman has too much imagination. Dangerous stuff, imagination.

:rolleyes:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, but that doesn't mean she was fantasizing about actually doing it.

Well, no, you're either fantasising about it or planning to do it. If you intend to do it, it's no longer a fantasy.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Well, no, you're either fantasising about it or planning to do it. If you intend to do it, it's no longer a fantasy.
Gotta disagree, although it's maybe hair-splitting.

I define fantasizing as thinking about something because it brings me pleasure. Therefore, when my imagination says, "OMG, that window opens too far; a person might trip and fall against it accidentally and be dumped right out the window and down the whole twenty-two stories of the building," I don't call that fantasizing; I call it paranoid dread.

If I saw a politician unguarded, I might think momentarily about how an assassin could have used that moment, but -- given I have zero desire to see anyone hurt -- I'd classify that thought process of mine as "what if" or "catastrophizing" rather than "fantasizing".

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
If I saw a politician unguarded, I might think momentarily about how an assassin could have used that moment, but -- given I have zero desire to see anyone hurt -- I'd classify that thought process of mine as "what if" or "catastrophizing" rather than "fantasizing".

I think it is quibbling :). I don't see fantasies as intrinsically pleasant. But either way, what-iffing, whatever you wanna call it, is different from planning something you actually intend to carry out.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Rather alike to Joan Rivers:

Mantel was also last year centre of a controversy, when she described the Duchess of Cambridge as a bland, “machine made” Princess in a London Review of Books lecture.

Maybe Mantel can take Joan's place on the Fashion Police show alongside Kelly Osborne.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with jjbenedictis's quibbling, and I don't think it's a quibble - the criticism being leveled at Mantel implies that she was fantasizing about killing Margaret Thatcher in the sense of wishing someone would actually do it. There's a significant difference between a "What if?" speculation and an "If only..." desire.

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
Oh! So it's a UK thing. Anyone who seriously is that thin skinned, should go read some Alternate History Steampunk. Or go look up the word fiction.

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is quibbling :). I don't see fantasies as intrinsically pleasant. But either way, what-iffing, whatever you wanna call it, is different from planning something you actually intend to carry out.

I agree with jjbenedictis's quibbling, and I don't think it's a quibble - the criticism being leveled at Mantel implies that she was fantasizing about killing Margaret Thatcher in the sense of wishing someone would actually do it. There's a significant difference between a "What if?" speculation and an "If only..." desire.
I'm wondering if this is a matter of the word "fantasize" being used differently by people in different parts of the world? Where I'm from, the connotation of "fantasy" is definitely "something desired", but I can see it meaning only "something imagined" in other parts of the world. And I notice Buffysquirrel is located on the other side of the Atlantic than me...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hilary Mantel has recalled the day in 1983 when she spotted an unguarded Margaret Thatcher from the window of her Windsor flat and fantasised about killing her.

"Immediately your eye measures the distance," she told the Guardian, her finger and thumb forming a gun. "I thought, if I wasn't me, if I was someone else, she'd be dead."
Sounds like it was one day over 30 years ago rather than a lifelong obsession.

ETA: Reading this article again, it sounds like she spent more time writing the story and getting it the way she wanted it than actually planning an assassination.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The thought police would get him just the same. He had committed—would have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper—the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you.

People simply disappeared, always during the night. Your name was removed from the registers, every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word.
- nineteen eighty-four

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
"What if someone killed Margaret Thatcher?"

"I wish someone would kill Margaret Thatcher."

Both involve conceptualising the idea of killing her; neither involves any intent to kill. I think you are seeing difference where there is none and creating what's merely a semantic argument.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is a matter of the word "fantasize" being used differently by people in different parts of the world? Where I'm from, the connotation of "fantasy" is definitely "something desired", but I can see it meaning only "something imagined" in other parts of the world. And I notice Buffysquirrel is located on the other side of the Atlantic than me...

Possibly. Again, a semantic issue.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Possibly. Again, a semantic issue.

Not likely. I live on the upper east coast of the US and I have a very similar definition of fantasy to yours. Things stop being harmless fantasy to me once someone actually starts planning to carry whatever it is out.

Anyway...has it escaped the notice of the half-wits freaking out about this that the woman is dead? Though considering she's only been in the ground 1.5 years, this could possibly be considered poor taste in when the story was released. But poor taste in ever being written? Hell no!

Status
Not open for further replies.