Books You Can Read Again... and Even Again After That

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
The Sorrows of Young Werther.

I seem to have a lot of new thoughts and observations on it with every reading.

Subterranean

Registered
Reaction score
A Clockwork Orange, undoubtedly.

Though I think Animal Farm and Nineteen-Eighty Four are my most read. There's a magic about them that I still fail to comprehend even to this day. They're just perfect pieces.

Tuesdays

Registered
Reaction score
Roger Zelazny's Amber series, well the first five books at least. If it was any other series with demigods running all over the place, I'd have quit 10 pages in, but those books are just so much fun to read.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

However, right now I am on about my 4th or 5th time through the extant five books in George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, more colloquially referred to as A Game of Thrones. This time I'm reading on my iPad and making copious in-text notes whenever I see foreshadowing, parallelism between character stories, clues to subtle plot implications (pie, anyone?), and things that on repeated re-reading I suspect may come back to grab us in the final two books. It's amazing how dense this series is. For instance, I've found people setting up the Red Wedding in Book 2, and the first hints of some people's betrayals two books before they come to fruition. I thought of it as a fun, bloody romp the first time through, and now on my fourth or fifth time through I am in awe of the incredible understructure.

Could not have said it better. I've read SOIAF through three times, and it has been better and better with each read. The first time, I was frantically turning the pages to see what happened next; the second, I picked up a lot of what I'd missed; the third, I started to see the mastery you spoke of. Brilliant learning experience. Probably time for number four about now. :D

Neegh

Banned
Reaction score
Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury
1984, Orwell
War of the Worlds, H.G. Wells
To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
Buzz Cut, James W Hall
the Dave Robicheaux series, by james Lee Burke
The Tony Hill & Carol Jordan series by Val McDermid
the Potter series (and Rowling’s Strike series)

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Collected Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Black Boy and Native Son by Richard Wright
Salem's Lot by Stephen King

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
The Anne series by L.M. Montgomery. The Little House books. Little Women. I read them all at least once a year. It's like going to see old friends.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The Anne series by L.M. Montgomery. The Little House books. Little Women. I read them all at least once a year. It's like going to see old friends.

I read many of these books, aloud, to my children at bedtime, many years ago, especially the Montgomery ones. They are marvels. I enjoyed reading them immensely. I haven't ever re-read any of them, but for people unfamiliar with them, I recommend them highly.

caw

planetzorb

Registered
Reaction score
I read this one book over and over as a kid. It's called "The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane" by Kate Dicamillo. I still get moved to tears when I read it - there's something very beautiful and cathartic in its story.

Also:

"Maurice" by E.M Forster. Because it is still, in my opinion, the best LGBT-themed book ever written.

"Other Voices, Other Rooms" by Truman Capote. Perhaps I love it because I read it at the just the right time in my teenage-hood. But honestly it has so many beautiful prose and it contains so much raw, uncensored emotion.

ericbryant09

Registered
Reaction score
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

I have read Ready Player One more times but I love both books. I also plan on reading Armada after my current read.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
The Harry Potter books I've read 6-10 times each. My all-time favorite book to reread is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I bet I've read it a dozen times over the past twenty years and I think I'm going to reread it again this year.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I reread books a lot. LOTR is probably the one I've read the most times.

Other than that, anything by Patricia McKillip, but especially the Riddle-Master trilogy. Red Moon and Black Mountain by Joy Chant. Anything by Robin McKinley or Connie Willis. Most of Diana Wynne Jones and Roger Zelazny, especially Deep Secrets and Amber (all 10) respectively. Later Terry Pratchett and Harry Potter. And the Hunger Games trilogy.