Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Peace of mind, these days.

That works. I mostly release except for the rare occasions when I'm meat fishing. Hell, I release carp. Not their fault they got impaled on my hook.

Yes. They're all called Nemo, which rhymes with Dino...
Only if you're a really, really bad poet. :D

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
Great photos Swachski and Lady V.

SK, how big is that fish?

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another one of Dino's photos has inspired me to be sketchy..

snowy-egret72_zpsf7eb1ae1.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...SK, how big is that fish?
About 150 lbs, give or take a few. The biggest tarpon I've ever landed was just over seven feet long and weighed 210 lbs. That one survived the battle, fortunately.

Some tarpon, no matter how hard you work to bring them in unharmed, will fight themselves to death instead of giving up. After enough of those over the years, the thrill of hunting for them turns to despair when even one is lost and you fully realize what you've destroyed for the sake of sport fishing.

Another one of Dino's photos has inspired me to be sketchy..
Oh, very nice! I'm impressed, to say the least. You had no way of knowing before now, but that scene is one of my favorites. You've captured the details perfectly, including the snowy's proud posture and fiery spirit.

Very well done. :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Great photo of the tarpon, SK. I've heard they were fierce fighters on hook and line (never caught one myself; we don't have them here). Glad it survived. :)

Beautiful sketch, swachski!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
About 150 lbs, give or take a few. The biggest tarpon I've ever landed was just over seven feet long and weighed 210 lbs. That one survived the battle, fortunately.

Some tarpon, no matter how hard you work to bring them in unharmed, will fight themselves to death instead of giving up. After enough of those over the years, the thrill of hunting for them turns to despair when even one is lost and you fully realize what you've destroyed for the sake of sport fishing.
That's the same with all fish, I think, but I believe it's worse for the larger fish like Tarpon. Some of those battles are epoch. As much as I'd like to fish for one of them, I think I share your misgivings. Doesn't mean I won't fish for salmon or halibut. They taste good. But I've never been a bit interested in having a stuffed and mounted trophy fish. You eat them or you leave them.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
That's the same with all fish, I think, but I believe it's worse for the larger fish like Tarpon. Some of those battles are epoch. As much as I'd like to fish for one of them, I think I share your misgivings. Doesn't mean I won't fish for salmon or halibut. They taste good. But I've never been a bit interested in having a stuffed and mounted trophy fish. You eat them or you leave them.
I'm with you completely in the fishing for food camp of certain species and take some at times that are still moving when I get home. As they say, you can't get any fresher meat than that.

The sport fishing side, however, for species I've killed that aren't considered table fare, has left me with a never ending crises of conscience. It just won't go away, and I think about it often.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with you completely in the fishing for food camp of certain species and take some at times that are still moving when I get home. As they say, you can't get any fresher meat than that.

The sport fishing side, however, for species I've killed that aren't considered table fare, has left me with a never ending crises of conscience. It just won't go away, and I think about it often.
We change as we age. Hopefully, that is. I did some dumb shit when I was 10 years old. I no longer hold it against myself. Dumb stuff I did when I was 20 or 30--I've forgiven myself for that too. Even though one of them got my house.

Dammit, I loved that house.

Don't beat yourself up, Dino. Life is a process and if we're smart, we keep improving. We're not a finished product until the undertaker closes the coffin.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I finally crossed paths with some flamingos, our dear Susie's favorite bird. The encounter didn't occur in the wild but was worth recording nonetheless:

1-7-13061-SM.jpg

1-7-13054-SM.jpg

1-7-13101-SM.jpg

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, dear Silver, that is a great surprise! Just fabulous. Many, many thanks! :Hug2:s to you for doing that!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, dear Silver, that is a great surprise! Just fabulous. Many, many thanks! :Hug2:s to you for doing that!
I was in the neighborhood and know where a couple of them reside. You can bet I was thinking of you the whole time. Some day I hope to get photos of them in their true natural surroundings and post them here.

that last shot is amazing!
thanks, sk.
You are most welcome, though I should be thanking you also for following this thread. So I will: Thanks. :)

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
SK, thanks for posting those photos. They really made my day.:)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
FLAMINGOS!!!! :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: They almost don't look real. How fun!

They can be cantankerous. You didn't get rushed, did you, SK?

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Hadn't looked in since before Xmas. You guys have been busy. Tech Guy gave me memory cards for the camera he got me last Xmas, so I finally got to take some shots recently. Have to offload and upload still since I'm recovering from vacation.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dino, those flaming-o photos are great. :)

The high school where my boys go earn money for senior activities in a unique way. Sometime when you least expect it, you will look out your front window and see a dozen plastic flamingoes hanging out in your yard... an attached note says: You've been flocked! Before the birds will migrate to a new location (of your choice), you must donate to the high school senior fund.

Last spring we were flocked. My son thought he'd be clever, though. He laid one on its side, pointed the other birds around it in a circle, and wrapped caution tape around the whole scene...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
SK, thanks for posting those photos. They really made my day.:)

FLAMINGOS!!!! :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: They almost don't look real. How fun!

They can be cantankerous. You didn't get rushed, did you, SK?
They were such beautiful birds, very mellow in nature yet sad to witness within their captive environment.

It's interesting to note that the pink variety gets its name from the birds' pink feet and knees and not from the color of its plumage, which varies greatly depending upon its diet.

Hadn't looked in since before Xmas. You guys have been busy. Tech Guy gave me memory cards for the camera he got me last Xmas, so I finally got to take some shots recently. Have to offload and upload still since I'm recovering from vacation.
Waits patiently for some pics. :)

Dino, those flaming-o photos are great. :)

The high school where my boys go earn money for senior activities in a unique way. Sometime when you least expect it, you will look out your front window and see a dozen plastic flamingoes hanging out in your yard... an attached note says: You've been flocked! Before the birds will migrate to a new location (of your choice), you must donate to the high school senior fund.

Last spring we were flocked. My son thought he'd be clever, though. He laid one on its side, pointed the other birds around it in a circle, and wrapped caution tape around the whole scene...

What a great story. I'd love to take part in a similar flocking.

Have you ever heard of people kidnapping lawn ornaments and taking them on vacation? They then send anonymous photos to the former owners to show them where the ornaments have traveled. For example, some might be posed near famous landmarks, hundreds or even thousands of miles away from where they were kidnapped.

It's pretty hilarious to learn the lengths some people will go through just to goof around. :)