Recommend some 2014 Science Fiction

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I read a bit of science fiction but not much and my son wants a few science fiction (not fantasy) novels for Christmas. Can you recommend any? The only one I've thought of is The Martian by Andy Weir.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
From the New Wave of British Space Opera, I see 2014 has given us Ken Macleod's Descent and Peter F Hamilton's The Abyss Beyond Dreams.

Kevin J Anderson's The Dark Between the Stars came out too. A lot of people despise him as an author because of daring write sequels to Dune, but last time I checked his original space opera it was pretty solid and pretty epic.

There's also the Gergory Benford and Larry Niven co-production of Shipstar and the Stephen Baxter & Terry Pratchett co-production The Long Mars

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
The last SF I read and enjoyed was Zero Sum Game, by SL Huang. (Review here.)

You might also check out Stranger, by Rachel Manija Brown and Sherwood Smith. (Review here.) This one blurs the line a bit between fantasy and SF, though.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Science fiction is a broad range, so before you buy anything, I'd suggest getting some idea of the sort of story he likes. If he prefers space opera and you get a techno-thriller, that's not going to work so well. These are a few 2013/2014 books that might interest. They're all different styles, so probably at least one will work:

"Ancillary Justice" by Ann Leckie
"Lock In" by John Scalzi
"Lagoon" by Nnedi Okorafor
"The Three-Body Problem" by Cixin Liu (translator Ken Liu)
"Upgraded" edited by Neil Clarke (short stories about cyborgs)