Books Similar to What I Want to Write

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I'm going to guess that the reason I'm not "into" my writing right now is because I haven't been reading. ;_;

I have two ideas I could possibly use, but they might be similar anyway. Maybe reading something similar will help.

The ages of the MCs are generally under 18. The setting is contemporary. Supernatural elements are both involved, but in one idea it is a major part of the characters' lives. They are the reincarnated beings of lost gods from long ago. It involves Greek Mythology and a fight against another like them at the end.

The other idea also has supernatural elements, but I was thinking it could be more "second nature" in the book. Like the characters' life and drama would be more important. This idea has creatures (demons) coming from portals to try and wreck havoc, and possibly causing an apocalypse.

So any reading ideas or recommendations would be great. :D

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
The ages of the MCs are generally under 18. The setting is contemporary. Supernatural elements are both involved, but in one idea it is a major part of the characters' lives. They are the reincarnated beings of lost gods from long ago. It involves Greek Mythology and a fight against another like them at the end.

Like TAMaxwell said, Percy Jackson is going to be first through fifth on your reading list; it's the most popular recent Greek-myth-meets-modern-YA series, and Riordan does an excellent job integrating classic mythological imagery with modern sensibilities. (You can safely ignore the movies...) There are a slew of other YA/MG books dealing with Greek mythos, as well - I see them go through the library all the time. So you might want to hit Amazon's page on the Percy Jackson series and look at the Similar Titles/People Who Bought This Book Also Looked At... sections for more leads.

The other idea also has supernatural elements, but I was thinking it could be more "second nature" in the book. Like the characters' life and drama would be more important. This idea has creatures (demons) coming from portals to try and wreck havoc, and possibly causing an apocalypse.

So any reading ideas or recommendations would be great. :D

On this second idea... IMHO, this is gonna be very, very tough to pull off, insofar as making the blue-bolded idea more prominent than the red-bolded idea. If you were walking down the street and saw a demon crawling out of a portal on your left, and a teenager angsting over their life (or lack thereof) on the right, where are you more likely to stare - left or right?

Further, if you went to the bookstore and picked up a book about demons trying to start an apocalypse and the characters trying to stop them, and most of the book wasn't even about the demons, would you feel disappointed? As a reader, I know I would. And if I bought a book pitched as a human drama and there were suddenly demons crawling around... well, I probably wouldn't be a genre reader, so I'd likely be annoyed that about the "stupid demons" ruining the book, and still be disappointed.

You can use the demon fight and impending apocalypse to explore character themes, naturally, but downplaying it as mere background noise for the human drama... it'll be tricky. Not to say it can't be done, but it will be tricky. I'd think you'd do better to go for a 50/50 balance of demon apocalypse/human drama than to shunt the supernatural action to second-tier status. But, again, that's JMHO.

That said, you might want to watch a few episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer - great monster-kicking action, but the show never lost touch with the human issues of the characters. And I know that's not a book, but the show hits on the themes you seem to want to explore, striking the balance you'll want to try to find, so it's worth experiencing anyway. (And it's just a darned good series.)

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I started Percy at a library, but then it was time to go. It almost seemed too young for the characters in the story I mentioned, but it might help me not have the urge to write about teen stuff like sex or swearing (for my friend's sake).

As for the second one. I kind of meant, that the demons wouldn't ALWAYS be there, but when they are there, then yes, the character would be annoyed by it and want to kick their bum. XD It would do a lot of interfering in their life.

Buffy is a good example, though. I've seen every episode, probably more than once. :D Though it'd be nice to have a "book form" of something similar. o.o

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
The kids grow up over the books, similar to Harry Potter. They start as young'ins, but they're full teens in the later books by my understanding. And then there's a sequel five-book series Heroes of Olympus. Looking at the ages of that set's cast, it may be more what you're looking for. 13-18, mostly around 15-16.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I started Percy at a library, but then it was time to go. It almost seemed too young for the characters in the story I mentioned, but it might help me not have the urge to write about teen stuff like sex or swearing (for my friend's sake).

Dude(ette)... why are you writing for your friend? Write the story you want to write.

Though just because the characters are older doesn't mean there must be graphic sex and swearing, despite what modern media likes to tell you.

I will, once again, echo TAMaxwell: the characters grow up, physically and emotionally, during the series, so you might try sticking it out for a few books to see how that works.

And it may be aliens instead of demons, but the classic Animorphs books had a fair bit of both evil-tail-kicking and human drama in it (if a little weighted toward the tail-kicking side). Though they, too, start out younger than your target age, you might give them a look. Every book has both an internal struggle and an external struggle.

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I started the story WITH my friend, but she gave me full reigns to write it since she's so busy nowadays. So busy I don't know who she is as a person.

Anyway. At the library now, but they don't have the first Percy Kackson book in stock. I've read Animorphs as a kid. Not fond of it now, sadly.

Also, it is within my nature to have certain teens swear or have/talk about sex, etc. I'm only avoiding it in that story for my friend. That story is all we got now. ;_;

Now, someone brought up Buffy. If I can find books similar to the TV show, it'd be grand. I'll go google some lists and see what I find!

This library is hot!

Thanks for the suggestions, so far, though! C:

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score

Though I don't know I'm "recommending" them, this sounds a lot like The Mortal Instruments books. There is a fair bit of drama/controversy about the series, but there it is. I'll leave it to google the rest of the discussion, but I might as well throw them out there.

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Google didn't actually get me much. Strange. Like in the format of Buffy, with drama and supernatural fun stuff--you know?

I must be terrible at looking for things. I'll add that to the list as well, though! Can't hurt. XD

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I saw that list too! They kept mentioning vampire books and stuff. It had nothing to do with the drama/supernatural elements blended together nicely. I got a couple for my list, though. XD

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
If Percy Jackson was too young for you, ditto the recommendation to start with the Heroes of Olympus series-- the kids are teenagers, and although Riordan shies away from swearing and sex, they are still "older" books that PJ.

You could check out the Chronicles of Chaos trilogy by John C. Wright. These aren't YA, but the characters are teenagers... sort of. This is like Harry Potter meets Percy Jackson, but on acid.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Not a book but I'd say the first 5 seasons of Supernatural might be worth your while. Note that there are some occasional squicky scenes if you're sensitive to it; I am but found it well worth my while.

I'm finding it hard to think of any media that doesn't focus at least as much on the 'forces of evil' as it does on the characters and their interactions. World changing events, especially ones the characters are directly involved in, are naturally going to be a huge part of their lives and shape how they grow as characters.

Peter V. Brett's The Demon Cycle, specifically The Warded Man, might be of interest. It's not YA or contemporary but it does have demons. Lots of demons and in the beginning at least has younger characters coming of age and how they handle such a fragile human environment.

Hellboy maybe? It's a comic series and also has a couple of (imo) decent movies. The MC is a displaced demon fighting for the good guys against all kinds of weird demonic/supernatural forces while trying to come to terms with his own heritage.

Also the manga/anime series Soul Eater, which includes the Grim Reaper, witches, demonic forces, sentient weapons, etc. There's a fair amount of standard anime drama in it as well.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The Demon Cycle. I've got that on my to buy list, since i liked the first book. Unfortunately, it's all fantasy and not drama/contemporary/supernatural elements. It also doesn't help me rationalize demons in our world either.

Which probably will stop me anyway. :(

I like the show and TV suggestions, but they won't give me the motivation to actually write, sadly.;_;

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm... I saw something at Half Price Books today that almost looked close to what you wanted - a half-werewolf girl and a fallen angel guy, YA series - but danged if I can remember the name now that I'm home.

Random searches on Amazon on titles that "may have been it, or not" came up with a couple possibilities that don't seem to involve vampires. They seem to involve angels and demons, though - at the very least, the demon end goes to your interest, here. Note that these are blind recommendations; I'm going on the synopses and a few random reviews, so take that as you will:

Hexed, Michelle Kayes

The Guardian Legacy books, by Ednah Walters - There's some debate whether Awakened or Betrayal is the first; Awakened is labelled here as a prequel.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
It's true that it isn't, but I can't help feeling you might be a little too specific in your taste? There are plenty of books out there with elements you're looking for, just not all in one book due to how disparate they all are. If you refined your concept a bit or were less adverse to anything outside of this extremely specific range I think you'll find an absolute ton of material to work with.

Anyway...going off of Brightdreamer and looking at some of the 'also bought' books...note I haven't read either of these, just read the descriptions.

Between by Megan Whitmer.
Firebolt by Adrienne Woods.

It looks like what's categorized as 'teen/new adult paranormal romance' is what you want to look for.

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read The Mediator series by Meg Cabot? It's about a teenage girl who deals with vengeful/angry ghosts but a lot of the focus is on her family/school/love life. It actually reminded me a lot of Buffy.

eparadysz

Registered
Reaction score
The mythology one sounds similar to the STARCROSSED series by Josephine Angelini. I can't exactly recommend it -- I couldn't get through the first chapter -- but it was fairly well-hyped when the first book came out. And it's definitely YA, not MG.