Guidelines

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the all new Absolute Write Book Club!

Sparked by a suggestion from the populace (thanks for the great idea!), the Book Club is a place where discussions of specific books can take place under one roof. Since Perks was the first one to say, "Hey, that's sounds like a good idea..." we decided she should be the moderator. Thanks for volunteering, Perks!

We've come up with some guidelines for using this forum:
  • When starting a new thread, please title it with the book title and author name, as in: The Street Smart Writer, by Jenna Glatzer & Daniel Steven.
  • The AW Book Club is reserved for discussion of specific books, therefore we request that people endeavour to keep each thread focused on the book being discussed.
  • We realize some of the more popular books will inevitably spawn multiple threads, but so that Perks isn't kept busy "herding cats", discussion of any one book should remain within a single thread as much as is practical.
  • Remember, Jenna's one rule applies: respect your fellow writer. That goes for the author(s) of the book being discussed too, even if they aren't a member here.
  • The last rule is the only one we'll be sticklers about: No starting a thread about your own book. This is to avoid spam-type drive-by posters looking for free publicity. The idea is that this forum should be for honest discussion of a fiction or non-fiction work, not for promotion.
So, do you like the latest Harry Potter? Don't like it? Wish you'd written it? Well, jump right in and start a thread or add your two cents to one that's already going.

Enjoy!

PS -- please feel free to post any comments about the Book Club in this thread.

ETA - Please expect spoilers here. To try to talk around key plot points would cripple the discussions.

Last edited by a moderator:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks to underthecity (Allen) for coming up with the idea, emeraldcite for telling us about it, CC for implementing it, and Perks for modding it. :)

You all are A-OK in my book.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Are you suffering from a lack of blame complex, Dawno? Not to fear. I'm positive we'll find something to blame on you very, very soon.

Like the design of my bathroom. There is no place near the toilet for one of those toilet paper stacker things, and the cabinet is juuuust out of reach when you're... um... on the throne. So if you use up the last sheet of toilet paper while you're sitting there, you have to yell really loud for your spouse and hope that he (a) hears, and (b) can remember how to unlock the door with a paperclip. And if he's not home, you have to just sit there for a very, very long time.

I blame Dawno.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I can't believe this! Just the other day I was thinking of requesting such a forum! Can you read minds? Or is this group think? Anyway, THANKS!!!!!!!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I love talking about books, and don't have a book club IRL. Wonderful. Thanks!

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Terrific idea. Kudos all round!

And I hope everyone takes Charlie's admonition about thread-proliferation to heart. I do not want to see 15+ threads about my book. I'm so darn tired of the speculation about the Opus Fishie and Anglers Templar and did Papa Hemingway plagiarize me and yadda yadda yadda. Please people! Give it a rest.

ty, tyvm.

SeanDSchaffer

I think this forum is a wonderful idea! I'm glad you guys thought of it.

smile.gif

DrCallo

The absolute best forum I've found so far for new writers to get and exchange ideas and knowledge. This site is a keeper.