The Missiletoe Command Arcade & Slushy Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
uh, no....

it's like predator in a storage facility.

meh.

So... pretty much like 90% of the 1990s British SF films. When they weren't ripping off other films.

:popcorn:

oh, and it's a movie.

I should probably pick up a copy of SFX more than twice a year, huh?

I got a form reject for my novellette. A form reject. Nary one comment.

Send it out again. It will find a home somewhere. :)

Right. Back out the door Warriors Dead must go. I think someone suggested a print Fantasy mag (mag of fantasy and sf?!?). Any others that take nearly 9k stories? I so wanted my story published and available online for free...

Oh... Y'know, the "available online for free" part threw me. Most of the places I am thinking of are print only. I'll have to dig through the lists to come up with something.

The 3D was horrible. I refuse to watch movies in 3D after seeing that in theaters :) Maybe a home viewing would be different, but death to 3D.

I've been counting down the end of the 3D fad almost since it began. Meh. If someone made something truly revolutionary with integral use of the system, then I might (possibly) change my mind, but everything I have seen has been tired, predictable and utterly lacking the need for 3D.

When a director goes in to a meeting to talk about implementing 3D into the shooting of their film, they should be sat down and told that it isn't a right, but a responsibility.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I've been counting down the end of the 3D fad almost since it began. Meh. If someone made something truly revolutionary with integral use of the system, then I might (possibly) change my mind, but everything I have seen has been tired, predictable and utterly lacking the need for 3D.
3D films make me horribly motion-sick. Eh, I just don't like it. In fact, 3D tends to ruin what should be spectacular visuals for me - like the opening to Prometheus, which I had to watch with a sick bag present.

I'll be glad when the fad's over.

It is February, give it a chance. We'll be back to non-stop rain before we know it.

Hello again Crunchy, how are we?

What I wouldn't give for a nice balmy downpour....;)

Hello yourself! Apart from this crippling inability to write more than 20 words without wanting to beat my head against a brick wall and set my entire WIP on fire, I'm just dandy. Are you enjoying our clement weather?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers, BW. Given the stories length I'm probably going to be stuck with print. Dire.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kurne-Brussels-Kurne cycle race is cancelled due to snow, so I took an educated guess. Cyclists are fragile people, probably better weather for biathlon or something eh?

Heh, if they're so fragile, maybe they should stop careening down mountains at 45 miles per hour. :D

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score

But... But... The Hobbit had Aidan Turner in 3D. *looks very confused* I mean... Aidan Turner in 3D? Where's the bad in that? He's pure awesome made human... and in 3D. I'd watch that movie on IMax in 3D just for that...

Seriously, though - As for 3D in and of itself, there's always going to be *some* market for it, especially every 30 years or so when it seems to make a popular resurgence at the cinema (1950s, 1980s, 2010s...). but making a movie in 3D just for the sake of it is silly. I know I said about the Hobbit, but really - that one was one of the silly ones. There wasn't really any point to it apart from, "Oo, look, scary claw." Most of the film you couldn't really see the 3D at all. However, movies like (and this one was a bit sick-making anyway, just from the camera work, so I almost hesitate to mention it) Cloverfield where immersive 3D could have made a huge difference to the scariness (because space and spatial awareness was such a big deal in the film) and potentially the nausea from having a handheld camera (especially if it was like some of the films in the late 50s in the US where the chairs moved slightly with the film or, in modern times, like Star Tours at Disneyland), I could see it.

OTOH, while I do enjoy some 3D at the cinema, I don't especially like it in my new Nintendo 3DS or on home tellies (however, when they get proper hi def 360* 3D, I might change my mind). I have to turn the 3DS right down, because it only really works if you have the face of a small child or hold your head in one position and the game constantly steady. Boo.

Anyway, I'm a bit meh about 3D in general but I do think it has its place. :)

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I'm told we own 109 films.

I claim that compared with some people this is virtually nothing. Go on then astound me cantina.

How many films do you own?

(Repeats don't count, so if you have 27 versions of Terminator, that's one film) ((Extra: If you have films labelled Bad Flick I, Bad Flick II, Bad Flick III that all seem like the same film, well, that's just bad luck on your part :tongue )

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like one of the only people who just doesn't care about 3D. People I speak to either like it or absolutely hate it, but I just find it impossible to care about it.

Because of whatever it is about my eyes that's messed up to require glasses, 3D stuff never works properly for me so I just never watch anything in 3D. Because it would be pointless.

On a non-personal level I do think it's a bit ridiculous that it's become such a big thing that people feel the need to re-release old films that are now in 3D, just because they can. I mean come on, was seeing Kate Winslet's breasts in 3D in Titanic really worth re-releasing an entire movie for? You've already seen them, adding gimmicky depth-of-field effects to them really can't have added all that much, can it? Maybe I'm missing a trick here.

But yeah, in general I don't have that much of an issue with 3D existing. If idiots ever decide to start making films entirely in 3D with no 2D option available then I'm probably going to start shouting at people, but until then... just nothing.

Although I will say watching films designed to be shown in 3D in 2D is annoying if only because then you have to put up with that stupid trick of characters purposely putting stuff really close to the camera or throwing stuff directly at the camera, only without the gimmick attachment. And without the 3D effect, that just looks goofy as all hell.

I claim that compared with some people this is virtually nothing. Go on then astound me cantina.

65 films. And the only double is Ghostbusters.

I did have a lot more (due to a habit of compulsive buying) but a while back I had a giant purge of all the ones I hadn't watched in years or just didn't like any more.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
What are your all's thoughts on Time Travel stories? Done to death?

A comment by Bettie made me think about this. I have a time travel story idea (well, characters and set up) in my notebook that has literally been there for 18 years, waiting. One of these days I'd like to trot it out and use it.

aliwood

Penmonkey Contrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
truckloadofart.wordpress.com
I have a time travel story idea (well, characters and set up) in my notebook that has literally been there for 18 years, waiting. One of these days I'd like to trot it out and use it.

*Awards irony points*

I like TT stories. They're always fun and you can screw around with any era of history you like.

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score

A comment by Bettie made me think about this. I have a time travel story idea (well, characters and set up) in my notebook that has literally been there for 18 years, waiting. One of these days I'd like to trot it out and use it.

Depends on the plot itself. Time travel as a device is a well-worn idea but it's not like sci-fi is a bottomless pit of unused ideas, so...if the story itself is good, I'd say go with it.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like one of the only people who just doesn't care about 3D. People I speak to either like it or absolutely hate it, but I just find it impossible to care about it.

I'm right there beside you, RA. Maybe it's because I don't see so good. Maybe it's because I'm not willing to drive an hour to the nearest IMAX. Maybe because I just am not a big movie buff. But I just couldn't give two craps about 3D versus 2D movies. I'm there for the story, not the big cool techno-doodleedoos.

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
Kurne-Brussels-Kurne cycle race is cancelled due to snow, so I took an educated guess. Cyclists are fragile people, probably better weather for biathlon or something eh?
Then again 'veldrijden' (what's it called in English again, cross country cycling? cyclo-cross?) wasn't cancelled, they love bad weather.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
For me it depends on what kind of Time Travel story it is.

The kind of "let's go to a different time period and pootle about for a bit" story I'm less fond of, but I have a fondness for TT stories that really get into the, if you'll forgive the phrase-stealing, "wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey" stuff a lot more.

crunchyblanket

Registered
Reaction score
I'm right there beside you, RA. Maybe it's because I don't see so good. Maybe it's because I'm not willing to drive an hour to the nearest IMAX. Maybe because I just am not a big movie buff. But I just couldn't give two craps about 3D versus 2D movies. I'm there for the story, not the big cool techno-doodleedoos.

What bugs me about 3D is that even 'normal' cinemas here seem to show most new films in 3D only - and then have the cheek to charge you extra for them. There's no 2D option - if you want to see the film, 3D's your only option. £13 a pop. It's a bit of a rip off. And it's why I usually wait for the DVD.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score

Ahem. :eek:

Over 300... not counting TV series.

I like a good time travel story. There's so much you can do with them! Romance (The Time Traveller's Wife and Lightning), War (Rebel in Time), Apocalyptic (or similar, Stirling books), funny (Technicolor Time Machine, Hitchhiker's Guide), morality tale (The Time Machine)... And those are the the ones I can think of right off the top of my head. Being spread so thin across genres, I'm not sure it could be done to death. :D

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the plot itself. Time travel as a device is a well-worn idea but it's not like sci-fi is a bottomless pit of unused ideas, so...if the story itself is good, I'd say go with it.

I don't know if the story is all that special (mostly because I only just thought of it; that's why I've been stalled). But what makes the idea keep bugging me are the characters. The characters are a treat, at least to me, and I adore them, so much so that echoes of them keep popping up in my other work.

Status
Not open for further replies.