Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #26
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How long shouldn't matter really. You should submit t and move on to the next project. If you're busy writing, editing, and submitting you won't have time to worry about how long a story has been out.

I never check on a story except at a glance when I open the spreadsheet to log in a new submission.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
gettingby
practical experience, FTW

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
How long shouldn't matter really. You should submit t and move on to the next project. If you're busy writing, editing, and submitting you won't have time to worry about how long a story has been out.

I never check on a story except at a glance when I open the spreadsheet to log in a new submission.
I do still have time to worry. I keep busy, but there is always time to worry.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #28
areteus

areteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admirationareteus has earned our admiration
The Duotrope responses are manual. By which I mean the Duotrope account holder updates them when they get sent an email with a response. The editors of the publisher do not have access to that system (well, they might, but only if they are also using Duotrope to track things that they have submitted to other markets in which case they update their own stuff when it gets a response just like you do). The only thing the notifications on duotrope do is update the stats both on your personal submissions and on the market's entry (where it averages with all the other responses that have been tracked).

Some markets have a submisson system which tracks which part of the process your work is in and that is updated by the editor when they make a decision but Duotrope does not have a system like this (unless they have made a very recent and very major upgrade I am not aware of...).

I agree with the others above. Submit and forget. There is nothing you can do about a story once it is submitted so no point or purpose in fretting about it. Just keep an eye on the average submission time for that market on duotrope (or the time listed in the guidelines) and work out what date this means you should have had a response by and mark it on your calendar. Then wait a while after that (cos many markets are sometimes slower than they claim) before chasing them with a polite email to enquire about the status of the submission.
areteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #29
Shadow_Ferret
Did I do that?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
I do still have time to worry. I keep busy, but there is always time to worry.
I never worry. My wife thinks I'm inhuman that way.

It's probably the only self-destructive negative trait I don't have.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #30
Mutive
Blissfully Clueless

Mutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by areteus View Post

Submit and forget. There is nothing you can do about a story once it is submitted so no point or purpose in fretting about it. Just keep an eye on the average submission time for that market on duotrope (or the time listed in the guidelines) and work out what date this means you should have had a response by and mark it on your calendar. Then wait a while after that (cos many markets are sometimes slower than they claim) before chasing them with a polite email to enquire about the status of the submission.
Definitely recommend this. One magazine apparently forgot to send me a rejection. They were very polite when I asked about the status, and it was good to be able to move the story onto a new home. (It was eventually accepted elsewhere.) But up until a three to six month mark, you're probably just annoying the already over taxed person looking at submissions.
Mutive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #31
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Write, write and then write some more. Write so much you don't have time to think about stuff like this.

Works for me.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #32
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
I agree with the above advice, that we should submit and not worry. However. I can't help being curious when something is out for over six months. I have two stories that have been out since March. Is this generally a good sign?

The Starlights—gritty young adult (querying)

blog & twitter
folkchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #33
MJNL
A Little Lost

MJNL is a glorious beacon of lightMJNL is a glorious beacon of lightMJNL is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkchick View Post
I agree with the above advice, that we should submit and not worry. However. I can't help being curious when something is out for over six months. I have two stories that have been out since March. Is this generally a good sign?
Depends on where you sent them. Have you heard of Duotrope.com? it lets you track submissions, and see what the current average response time is.

Six months down means you've still got months to go at some markets. At others, it means you should have queried five months ago.

Recent Publications:

A Debt Repaid, Lightspeed Magazine, WDSF
Dateline: Sesen, Star Citizen Spectrum Dispatch

Blog *Twitter* Art * AV
MJNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #34
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
Thank you, MJNL. I use Duotrope—it's great. These markets I speak of are known for having slow response times, so it's true, I just need to be more patient.

blog & twitter
Old 11-11-2012, 12:27 AM   #35
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's not really that long--it just seems longer than it might because so many short fiction markets don't allow simultaneous submissions. At least that's how it feels to me, as compared to waiting for agencies and publishing houses.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #36
folkchick
Not a new kid

Rhoda Nightingale—I have to agree with you!

blog & twitter
Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #37
squeaky pram
oldie turned newbie

squeaky pram is well-respected
I loved duotrope when I first discovered it, but I'm beginning to see how it can be a curse as well as a blessing. In the old days you sent a story and pretty much had to forget about it because it went into a sort of black hole of which you knew nothing. With duotrope you can see, based on the responses reported by other writers, whether or not your submission is in the "rejection zone" (or "response zone", however you want to think of it!), and I think that's possibly a bad thing. It's easier to become obsessive. I've found myself on pins and needles when I see I'm in the zone, which is a waste of energy. I'm weaning myself off the constant checking and comparing, but I do understand its allure. In fact, at the moment I'm in the zone at three publications (so much for weaning!). I know I'd be better off not knowing.

I agree with the others: 'submit, forget, write more stories' is the best approach. Obsession, thy name is Duotrope!
squeaky pram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #38
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, let's see my current sub list.

Story 1: Out for 14 months so far.
Story 2: Out for 15 months so far.
Story 3: Out for 17 months so far. (And it's a short-short!)
Story 4: Out for 13 months so far.
Story 5: Out for 16 months so far.

Been so busy working on novels I forgot to notice. Plus I tell myself that they're out so long because they've moved up from slush readers to top editors and will all end up published at once.

Nah. I thinks it's time to resub those babies.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #39
gettingby

gettingby is a glorious beacon of lightgettingby is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
Well, let's see my current sub list.

Story 1: Out for 14 months so far.
Story 2: Out for 15 months so far.
Story 3: Out for 17 months so far. (And it's a short-short!)
Story 4: Out for 13 months so far.
Story 5: Out for 16 months so far.

Been so busy working on novels I forgot to notice. Plus I tell myself that they're out so long because they've moved up from slush readers to top editors and will all end up published at once.

Nah. I thinks it's time to resub those babies.
Where are you submitting? I submit to literary journals that take a few months, but your stats seem longer than what I've experienced or seen on duotrope.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #40
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Where are you submitting? I submit to literary journals that take a few months, but your stats seem longer than what I've experienced or seen on duotrope.
I'm curious about this too. None of the subs I've sent out have taken longer than two months to get back to me.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
V1c
Hmmmmm

V1c is well-respected
I've submitted to places that take well over a year to get back to me (like Fiction, for one). And yeah, that was because the story made it to the editorial board and such.

Literary seems to take longer. The fact that many are housed in academic institutions might be part of it, especially if you submit during a changover period.
V1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #42
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
All but one are SFF mags, the exception is a well-known mainstream mag.

This last batch I sent between 6/2011 and 11/2011 ARE taking much longer than I'm used to. Why? Again, I'm hoping because they're passing up the editorial ladder.

A story of mine that was out to a major SFF mag for over two years actually WAS sitting on the chief editor's desk, having been passed on by the preliminary readers. It just missed the sale, alas.

Anyhow. I was inspired today to query the slow responders and to send out four stories that had been awaiting resubmission.

My short story house is again in order!

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote