• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Breathless Press / Lycaon Press (Justyn Perry)

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Their lines look to be restricted to YA paranormal, SF, fantasy and steampunk, though they don't have any steampunk pubs yet. Electronic publication only, though it says that they'll go to print after one year. According to their FB page, the company was started in 2012 and it doesn't look as if any of their books have hit the one year mark.

Royalties are paid on net (40%), which may be normal for e-pubs, but what happens after (when) it goes to print? How is net calculated for e-book? How is it calculated for print?

AphraB

A faithful friend & a good library
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Cute bunny on a chair peeking out from under tablecloth is cuuuuuute!)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Their covers don't look too bad. New pages keep popping up when you go into their guidelines, faqs, etc. That's a little annoying.

They also don't have an "about us" page, unless I'm missing it?

cymberle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cymberle.com
Not Impressed

Just read a book published by Lycaon Press for a Blog Tour. The story was mediocre at best. What stood out, though, was the pathetic editing job. Words were run together at least 20 times. Also 'enough' was misspelled as 'wnough'. Seriously?! These errors are caught by a basic spell checker.

I had to double check to make sure I wasn't reading an ARC, but no, it was published last year. It doesn't say much about a publisher if they send something to press with so many simple errors.

They do have nice covers on the plus side. But I just can't get past all those ridiculous errors.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Contract offered late today... (subbed so long ago I'd forgotten). Will advise...

Curious point - Submissions page indicates royalties @ 40% net; but sample contract states "...40% of retail download price..." (wouldn't that effectively be gross?) and 40% less distributor cut from other vendors, etc... See links.

Subs page... http://www.breathlesspress.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6&zenid=htgqvmbq3fbfj2fkkbqdecjkr6

Contract... http://www.breathlesspress.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7

Nice covers... have yet to peruse editing... we'll see...

Update Edit - 09/04/13 - Due diligence underway... They appear to be branching out from erotica/romance focus. I'm still uncertain this would be a good fit. Nice folks; seem to be easy to deal with.

Last edited:

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I think it's fairly standard, even if not clearly worded. Since all sales other than those on the BP site have the vendor cut taken out, it would be net in most cases. Only the BP site royalties would be based on gross -- or, perhaps, net with nothing cut, so it's effectively gross in that one instance.

I have a book published by BP. In case anyone is wondering, I'll mention that I haven't had any problems with getting paid, something that some people have complained about with other publishers.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent experience with Breathless/Lycaon? I'm thinking about sending the first five of my YA manuscript to their Tender Love Critique Session, but don't want to waste anyone's time if they wouldn't be a good place for an unknown to get noticed.
TIA!

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
Does anyone have any recent experience with Breathless/Lycaon? I'm thinking about sending the first five of my YA manuscript to their Tender Love Critique Session, but don't want to waste anyone's time if they wouldn't be a good place for an unknown to get noticed.
TIA!
I've been published on both sides of the house. My editor is great to work with and the covers are banging. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I say. Nothing says--if they want it--that you have to send it to them.

I sent two off for this one, both unfinished manuscripts, and my editor wants the finished manuscripts. One I had planned to send there, because my experience has been god, the other is such an odd ball piece, I'm not sure it's a good fit.

The only way you're going to get noticed it to get yourself out there. There's no magical publisher that gives you instant stardom.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, Kastil.

I sent the 5 pp. so we'll see what happens. The question about whether a particular publisher can do much for an unknown is a valid one. My experience has been that some publishers can get you noticed and others can't.

If anyone has anything to say about sales, and how they compare between divisions &/or with other publishers I'd be interested in hearing it. Just in case they like the 5 pp. :)

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
So... this publisher has hit the five year mark, and I'm wondering about people's experiences?

Full disclaimer: I'm one of their new release blog hosts; twice a month, I have two spotlights on books/authors. But I do NOT work for Breathless and anything shared here stays here (for the value of "stays here" that applies to a public forum).

At least I can say they do some marketing/promotions, given that I know I'm not their only blog host. On the other hand, my blog doesn't get a whole lot of traffic, so I'm not quite sure why they continue using me...

But other than that, they seem to have gotten off to a start in 2009 that was somewhat negatively received (having read back in this thread), and I don't hear much about them or their books other than the spotlight posts they send me. I'm looking for one or two new-to-me publishers where I can send my hetero romance, since the publishers I was writing that for have... not met my needs, and while Breathless isn't at the top of my list, they're at least somewhere around the middle if for no other reasons than having a promotions person and having been around for five years with no loud complaints from authors that I've seen.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It took a while, but ultimately it didn't work out. Per mutual agreement, the work I submitted wasn't exactly a good fit for their platform. Curiously, they appear to be going through some internal realignment; the chief editor has been "let go", and rumbles of further staff adjustments abound.

Masayoshi

Registered
Reaction score
It took a while, but ultimately it didn't work out. Per mutual agreement, the work I submitted wasn't exactly a good fit for their platform. Curiously, they appear to be going through some internal realignment; the chief editor has been "let go", and rumbles of further staff adjustments abound.
From what I know, it was more than the chief editor. To make matters worse, if they're let go they receive no further payment on the books they edit since their payment is tied to book sales. Couple that with the owner wanting audio rights for 7 years though the contracts read for only 3 years and not understanding why it would be such a big deal since audio books sell really well. Yeah, no figures given out on that one or authors backing the statement up.

Plus here's a little shades of Ellora's Cave for you. A recent email got sent out to all authors concerning a 'issue with the royalty reporting software' and some authors might have been overpaid. This goes on the back of the "OMG Amazon isn't paying us on time" bullshit. One week left for quarterly payments to go out and this comes up, effectively saying there's going to be a delay.

Funny, I don't seem to have any problems with other publishers. Hmmm.....

TuckerMcCallahan

Insufferable Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
And Another One Gone

Well in light of the last post I think I can safely cross Breathless off my list of publishers to sub to in the near future. Damn! That list is getting shorter and shorter! Anybody know a really good PR person? Self-pub is looking better & better every day...

Masayoshi

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently this third party 'glitch' has made a majority of the authors be in the negative for royalties and some authors haven't seen a royalty statement yet, though it's the end of the cycle.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Well in light of the last post I think I can safely cross Breathless off my list of publishers to sub to in the near future. Damn! That list is getting shorter and shorter! Anybody know a really good PR person? Self-pub is looking better & better every day...

Said it before, but I'll mention it again: invest in good editing before PR. Maybe PR later, but a lot of self-published authors seem to try marketing first.

happarose

happarose
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pippajay.co.uk
Curiously, they appear to be going through some internal realignment; the chief editor has been "let go", and rumbles of further staff adjustments abound.

As far as I remember from the discussion in the author group, that was because she wanted to focus on her own writing. My editor went due to health issues. Realignment was due to BP wanting to put more priority on print editions (a rarer thing with a small press - BP want to put anything over 39K into print so there's a backlog of titles to deal with). They were also taking on new editors, so it wasn't a staff cull as such. The seven year audio rights thing was fully explained and authors given a chance to opt out of the audio rights if they wanted to. Regarding the payment issue - some authors were also underpaid, and it's being rectified on the current payments. It's my first royalties with BP, so I don't know how much of an issue it was for anyone. I've received my royalty statement without any issues and on time. Full disclosure - I joined BP back in March after being with two other publishers, and will have released three titles with them and one with Lycaon Press, with another LP title due out next year.

happarose

happarose
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pippajay.co.uk
Originally audio rights were for three years. This was then changed to seven years because Audible requires audio rights for seven years, so authors were given the option to opt in or out and had to sign an addendum for the seven years if they wanted to have their book in audio. All new contracts are now seven years audio. If you'd like further information, please contact Justyn Perry.

Masayoshi

Registered
Reaction score
As far as I remember from the discussion in the author group, that was because she wanted to focus on her own writing. My editor went due to health issues.
If this was true, they wouldn't be looking for editing jobs elsewhere. Perhaps ones that would pay better since this is the piece meal they get per their contracts:

V. COMPENSATION

A. Publisher agrees to pay Editor a total of $150.00 (O ne Hundred Fifty Dollars) per book edited paid out at 10% of net sales for said book. If Editor leaves Publisher before full $150.00 is paid out, Editor agrees to forfeit any amount left owing from Publisher for any or all books. Compensation is only valid for the length of the edited book's contract life.

You don't go looking for more editing work if your concentration is on your own writing. Plus, the editors didn't leave of their own free will. You're drinking Kool-Aid if you believe anything else.

The seven year audio rights thing was fully explained and authors given a chance to opt out of the audio rights if they wanted to.
This only came after some authors complained, no? Because the contracts for rights read:

Electronic Rights will be exclusive for three (3) years commencing on the date the Work becomes available for sale on the Publisher's site. After such time, the contract can continue if the Author does not request them back. Electronic Rights refers to digital book, audio, CD, or any other format yet to be invented. Print Rights will be exclusive for a minimum of three (3) years and no later than five (5) depending on if there is any physical stock of the book; commencing on the date the printed Work becomes available for sale on the Publisher's site. After such time, the contract can continue if the Author does not request them back.

Not exactly the terminology for the sample contract on the site but it is just a sample and not the whole of what's involved.

Masayoshi

Registered
Reaction score
The audio company that Justyn Perry alleges approached him for audio production has only been around since February 2014 and filed for an LLC in March 2014. No website to be found, just a Facebook page that was created on August 25, 2014. The address listed for the company is a residential one and here's the LinkedIn profile of the owner.

I also have some proof (screenshot, actually) that the owner admitted he needed to trim costs. What better way to trim costs than to get rid of current editors and hire new ones that will have to wait a bit to get paid?

Leona

Registered
Reaction score
I am an editor who got fired from breathless press right after editing 3 books for their birthday bash. I did well with my first books as author, and with many others, and I was a very successful editor, to the point that one of my last payments as editor garnered me 44 dollars. That may not sound like a lot, but 10% of net sales for books that are 1.99 which a lot of my authors' were, (meaning the company gets around 70 cents from places like Amazon, which means I'd get 7 cents), that's a lot of books. I will tell you that anything I say or back up can be verified. I'll also say that the audio deal was a huge issue for me as an author and why I asked for the rights back on all my books. I've not posted on here because of some slander language in my contracts, but it's not slander if it's factual. I have been signed on as editor at two other houses and have writing going on for three houses with a fourth for another one being done that is asked for but not guaranteed to be accepted, but it's somewhere else to go. I've already had one of my stories recontracted, with the promise of two more. I do not care what BP does, except when my reputation is being insidiously besmirched. Though my name is not mentioned, certain things are being said. My actual friends ask me if I'm the one. The others apparently have decided I'm not a friend.

That being said, wouldn't you rather know what a publisher has done. ACTUAL full disclosure, not just what is NOT deleted in a group? I have screenshots of a deleted post that an author (not me) asked about the seven year rights from audio release that audible requires. That post has been deleted from the author group before I was kicked out. Yes, even though he still has my print books out, he kicked me out of the authors group because I publicly disagreed with how things are handled. That was back in September. I refuse to let my reputation be tarnished in a manner that can't really be defended. This is the only thing I thought to do. I am well on my way to success without Breathless Press, and really don't give a fig about them. But I care about the authors and wish they had full disclosure on everything, including dates on contracts, etc. I believe in fairness. If that's a crime, then unfriend me. But it doesn't take a genius to read audible's stuff and see it's 7 years from audible, and my contracts all said 3 years from ebook. That was a problem for me. That is why I pulled all my books. People can keep their "baiting" comments they've put where they think I'll care, as well as any other, but bp has full disclosure. I have screen shots that show that the above author is right that the discussion about the audio didn't happen until an author (not me) pushed about audible's requirements.

PS I hadn't been on here since 2011. That's how upset I am at the fallout of crap about this.

TuckerMcCallahan

Insufferable Know-It-All
Registered
Reaction score
Said it before, but I'll mention it again: invest in good editing before PR. Maybe PR later, but a lot of self-published authors seem to try marketing first.

Not entirely germane to this forum, but thank you for the advice. I've been a professional editor for over 20 years. I generally don't like to edit my own work (though I've done it) because we intrinsically overlook our own mistakes. But at this point I have a few folks I could tap who would edit for me.

The further away from traditional pub I get, the more the ground under my feet shakes. Old habits die hard.

Leona, I am standing on my chair cheering you on. The best revenge is success. Get 'em, girl!

Brantwijn Serrah

Registered
Reaction score
I Find Them Ethical, Professional and Supportive

[FONT=&quot]I am a current author with Breathless Press, working with them since 2012. I am not a member of BP staff.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have been personally present for the recent situations regarding audiobook rights, as well as the royalties audit. Prior to this royalties cycle, I have received at least five quarterly royalty statements from Breathless, starting with work in anthologies and progressing to my own novels. I've signed about 15 separate contracts for various anthology stories, short stories, novellas and full-length works. I read each contract, every time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Previous posters have claimed [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] "some authors haven't seen a royalty statement yet, though it's the end of the cycle" and " a majority of the authors [are] in the negative for royalties". No one has consulted me on this, as neither of these things are true of me. My contracts state [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] royalties shall be paid out within 45 days of quarter end. It is, currently, still within the 45-day time frame stated by my contract, and I have received my statement. I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] duly informed by Justyn Perry [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] due to an accounting error, there would be a delay in the expected date of receipt. The delay [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot], in fact, much shorter than I expected, but as stated, still within the 45-day period stipulated by my contracts. The final statement and royalties were also less than expected, however, I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] not "in the negative", nor even close to it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Furthermore, during the auditing process, Justyn posted regularly to the author's group to update everyone on its progress and the expected timeline for completion. Further to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot], he made himself available via private message or email for anyone who wished to address the matter in more detail. As this is the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]only[/FONT][FONT=&quot] time I have experienced trouble during a royalties cycle, at this time I feel confident it has been an isolated incident.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As for the audio rights; at the time this became a public argument on the Breathless Press author group, I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] actually confused as to why it [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] being brought up. As I said, I've read all my contracts, every time. I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] perfectly aware of the changes to new contracts when audio rights were introduced as separate from digital rights (under which they were covered, previously). No surprises for me. Furthermore, both my editor and Justyn Perry were, again, available via private message or email to discuss any questions I may have had, and both made [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] perfectly clear. The [/FONT][FONT=&quot]only[/FONT][FONT=&quot] reason I never took advantage of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] offer [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot], as I said, I had read my contracts and I had no questions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A question arose as to audio rights extending for 7 years when the authors had signed for 3 years. This pertained to contracts signed before June of 2014. Justyn Perry repeatedly explained to authors on the public forum [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] their rights were not sold for seven years, and at the end of their original contract date they would be free to request rights back from the audiobook company. This [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in keeping with existing contracts, which extended rights for three years, after which the contract could continue unless the author requested rights returned.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]From my contract for Goblin Fires, signed in January of 2014: "A. Electronic Rights will be exclusive for three (3) years commencing on the date the Work becomes available for sale[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on the Publisher's site. After such time, the contract can continue if the Author does not request them back. Electronic Rights refers to digital book, audio, CD, or any other format yet to be invented." (emphasis added by me)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As such, Justin's explanation—[/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] at the end of three years, authors would have the option to be request their rights back—[/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] not a change to the contract. New contracts do utilize a bit more specific language, now stating the contract will auto-renew if authors do not request rights returned, which may be clearer.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Again, Justin welcomed any and all authors to also speak with him privately on the matter. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
"I also have some proof (screenshot, actually) that the owner admitted he needed to trim costs. What better way to trim costs than to get rid of current editors and hire new ones that will have to wait a bit to get paid?"
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Conjecture about this all you like, it doesn't make it fact. My editor handles many authors, and she has not been let go. I have worked for several companies where management has disclosed to staff [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] cost-cutting measures are being explored, without layoffs being the result. This claim, quite plainly, means nothing, and the original poster may have a screenshot showing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Justyn said this, but he/she is simply jumping from there to libelous conclusions with no merit. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The lead editor [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] not let go. She made the decision to step down and pursue her own projects more freely. After some discussion, she decided not to step down and instead revisit and trim down her workload, so [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] she could continue on with Breathless. I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]am aware of this because she herself told me, when I asked her.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Leona [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] unfortunately let go due to disagreements on the quality of her editing. I admire Leona as a writer, and consider her works quite good, and I don't mean her any ill will by disagreeing with her here. However, Leona herself told me the reason for her termination as editor [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a conflict of opinion on editing procedures, and the style of editing she employed with her authors. I sympathize with her [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the publisher did not agree with her editing methods. However, Breathless Press determines the editing specifications editors and authors are to meet. If an editor disagrees with the specifications or considers them incorrect, and they cannot reconcile to meet the publisher's specifications, they are not a good fit for [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] company.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As a side note, I have never found fault with my own editor's comments or corrections. I hold a degree in English Language and Literature and have never received a negative comment as to the grammar, syntax, or editing quality in any of the stories I have published with Breathless Press. My impression of Breathless Press's editing standards is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] in the last year the editing team has been committed to strengthening their works, and improvements have been very good. My editor is consistently available to me, open to discussion and even disagreement. I quite appreciate [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I can discuss changes with her and reach a compromise, if I do not immediately accept her suggestion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As to Leona's removal from the Breathless Press Author's Group, she had requested all rights returned to her and made it clear she no longer wished to be a Breathless Press Author. Her removal from the group as not personal; it [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] a reasonable conclusion. She no longer wished to be with Breathless Press; she [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] removed from the Breathless Press group. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is my personal assessment as an observer of the events at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] time. It should be noted [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] members of the Breathless Press team have continued to maintain their professionalism by not discussing individual rights or contract matters publicly. If Leona ever received a message or communication indicating her removal [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] due to other reasons, I am not aware of it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I feel [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] there is a major misconception about the purpose of the author's group. It's a very easygoing group, most of the time, quite fun and very casual. Because it's maintained on Facebook, it can be easy to forget [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the purpose of the group is to provide a forum for the professional business of Breathless Press. The group is not ultimately meant to be a social hub for the authors, though quite often it can be; it is meant to be a common site for professional purposes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] note, Leona and Masayoshi have both mentioned [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] certain posts to the Breathless Press group were removed and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Justyn refused to discuss matters publically. It must be remembered [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] certain matters are not appropriate to be discussed on an open public business forum (such as individual contract or employment issues). Having worked in Human Resources, I find no fault with Justyn Perry or the BP team removing posts which they believed to be broaching subjects contrary to the professional and ethical atmosphere of the group. Because it is first and foremost a forum for Breathless Press business, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]it is not appropriate or professional to hold private discussions—such as those pertaining to an individual's contract terms or royalty matters—in the public space. While it may not create a problem for an author to ask, "Should I expect royalty payments soon?", it is not an appropriate place to expect Justyn or the rest of staff will openly discuss the details of contracts, payments, or employee matters.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Justyn and the Breathless Press team removed a single post from the group [/FONT][FONT=&quot]in which the original poster sought to discuss terms in her individual private contract[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Justyn informed this author he [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] more than happy to have a private discussion and answer any questions she may have.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Consider for a moment [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] for the business representative, a private conversation is not [/FONT][FONT=&quot]only[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the appropriate place to discuss private matters, but it provides a much saner environment to discuss terms, rather than a public thread where a hundred other tangents may be brought up, some questions asked more than once, members may offer "answers" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] are incorrect which will result in backtracking to explain the misunderstanding, so on and so forth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The removal of this post [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] immediately followed by another post by Justyn, explaining recent changes had brought up some questions from authors, and if any authors wished to discuss clarification of their contract terms, to please email or message him privately. While removing the original post, Justyn did not "hide" the subject brought up by the poster. In fact, he invited others to bring their questions to him, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]only[/FONT][FONT=&quot] privately, as is appropriate to a business.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have never been denied information when I request it from Justyn or any other members of the team. My editor, the chief editor, and Justyn himself are consistently available and willing to discuss matters which concern me. They do maintain a professional and ethical atmosphere I have come to expect, by not discussing matters of other author's contracts, employment, rights or other issues. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Furthermore to this, Justyn himself has been a uniquely encouraging leader, involved and supportive in his author's efforts to improve visibility and sales. I recently attended a convention in my local area, and had originally posted to the Breathless Press Author's group [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I would be willing to split costs on a table with any other local authors. Justyn approached me and together we turned it into a joint effort. Breathless Press offered to cover the cost of the table, and myself and another author agreed to represent not [/FONT][FONT=&quot]only[/FONT][FONT=&quot] our works but a variety of Breathless Press titles and author's promotional material, giving over 20 print-book authors (and even more e-book [/FONT][FONT=&quot]only[/FONT][FONT=&quot] authors) exposure at a convention they could not personally attend. Justyn worked closely with us to ensure we had the materials we needed. The convention [/FONT][FONT=&quot]was[/FONT][FONT=&quot] exceptionally successful and all agreed we had hosted a terrific promotional booth.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On top of all this[/FONT][FONT=&quot], Justyn and the team work hard to help out all authors, and BP authors openly communicate and assist each other as well. My editor has gone above and beyond, "mentoring" me in writing and marketing my works after publication. I receive consistent support, encouragement and openness from all my fellow authors as well as the team. I cannot stress [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] enough.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All business agreements should be entered into with care and consideration. No business is flawless, and not all businesses will fit all authors. At this time, I feel confident [/FONT][FONT=&quot]that[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Breathless Press is a trustworthy publisher. I have never felt my rights have been mishandled; I do not feel this recent problem in one royalties cycle is anything more than an isolated incident. I appreciate the team's handling of professional and private matters, as well as maintaining a friendly and open forum with respect to the professionalism of the group. I feel we receive lots of support and encouragement. I see a commitment to quality and growth. I believe Breathless Press is a wonderful small press to publish with, and I recommend it often. In fact, I am currently encouraging my niece to submit her own works.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If anyone has questions about my experience with Breathless Press, feel free to message me.[/FONT]

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I have one book currently published by BP, after taking back my rights to a short story that had appeared in an anthology. I'm familiar with the the most basic issues related to contract and payment changes. In my limited experience, I've found them very easy to work with -- responsive and clear about payments, contracts, and other matters. Also positive was my experience with the editing process and creation of the cover. I rarely participate in the FB group, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited: