• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] The Rights Factory Inc.

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent a query to this company and they've responded with some interest. I'm curious as to whether anyone has ever heard of them, or has dealt with them... I'm gauging that they're faily new, though they do appear to have background in the literary world.

I've checked to see if there are any reports on them online but I don't see anything. I'm chalking that up to them being new in the game. Hopefully another member has some information on them!

Before I forget; the main name that I've received is Sam Hiyate and the company is apparently based in Toronto.

Thanks!!
-Ashley Charity :)

Last edited:

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, yes, I've seen that :) I was more curious as to why there seems to be hardly anything on them. I guess it is just because they're new.

I was impressed as well, by what they've done to date... I'll go for it *thumbs up* It might not work as it is ^^

Thanks a bunch for looking into it!!

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
The Rights Factory

I sent out an e-mail query to this agency and they responded favourably. I sent back the manuscript via e-mail (as requested) and within a few days, received another response requesting that I send a hardcopy as the agent's "poor battered printer is out of toner". Exact words.

Now, this sounds highly unorthodox to me... I'm not impressed and don't plan on sending my work out. As a literary company, I would think they would be able to keep in stock of toner, let alone ensure that their printers are fully equipped.

Is it too brash of me to think this way or is it really ridiculous that he claims to be out of toner??

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
The Rights Factory is listed as recommended by P&E. I certainly wouldn't let printing out a manuscript and sending it in stay in your way.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Could be a weird sense of humor, if they have a good record. :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd agree with Barbj - I might consider this "a test" - This person/people, apparently being legitimate agents, have at least a little power in getting you published. I'd do any reasonable, legal and affordable request (a hard-copy submission is certainly all of these), regardless of the stated reasons they have for wanting/needing it. If they want it on pink or pea-green paper, I'd head for the nearest office supply store...

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, alright! I would love for it to be nothing more than an odd sense of humour or a test ^^ If they ask for magenta paper, I'm running for the hills, though.

Thanks a bunch!! :)

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
I had communicated with them last fall (2006). Sam responded, asked for a partial. Said he wanted to meet and discuss (I'm in Toronto) after he'd return from New York in December. Never heard back from him; I even left a voice mail.

I figured he wasn't interested, just didn't have the guts to say so.

Was I too hasty?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I had communicated with them last fall (2006). Sam responded, asked for a partial. Said he wanted to meet and discuss (I'm in Toronto) after he'd return from New York in December. Never heard back from him; I even left a voice mail.

I figured he wasn't interested, just didn't have the guts to say so.

Was I too hasty?

Agents get plenty of practice at saying no and are busy people. He forgot.
What is the worst that could happen if you contact him again?

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
Too true! It's been printed... I plan on dropping it off this evening! :D

Was I too hasty?

I agree- he most likely forgot... there's nothing wrong with a good follow-up! (or two :D since you had left a voice mail). Perhaps, along with an odd sense of humour and a love of multi-coloured paper, he's also scatterbrained at times. Best of luck in him responding! :)

dragonmedley

Inconsistent AWer
Registered
Reaction score
He responded! He forgot...

So he said he'd look the manuscript over and get back to me in September.

We shall see!

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
Huzzah!

I actually mailed out my ms to Sam, as well... it should get there today or Monday at the latest ^^ Hooray for one business day mailing! How exciting! *waves arms around* Though I couldn't find a ms box... I remember seeing those everywhere when I went to the post office and now, nada!

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Anything new on these folks? Their sales are impressive. It appears they only respond if interested.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooookaaaay. This usually isn't the place for it, but I'm asking you to cite your information, Repunzel. I just looked up his name on GoodSearch and found nothing that matched what you're talking about.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Strongly seconded. That can be construed as defamation.

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score

Repunzel

Registered
Reaction score
PS to CaoPaux - Thanks for deleting my comment - please send it to the far reaches of cyberspace.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request from Alisha, so the webform does work.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted July 1st to Alisha Sevigny and received a full request on July 5th from Ali McDonald. She claims as of September 1st she will be an associate agent, in charge of all Children's and YA.

8/11 Wants a Revise / Resubmit

Last edited: