Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Downton Abbey is the most boring show in the world?

Maybe boring in the sense that it doesn't have explosions or space ships. What it does have is carefully crafted characters, compelling character dynamics and intricate plotlines. I'm by no means a fan of the show or the genre, but I've watched quite a few episodes for work and it's definitely not boring. It's well-acted and well-written. Personally, it doesn't surprise me it got so big.

Matty C.

Lost in the Ninth Sector
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe boring in the sense that it doesn't have explosions or space ships. What it does have is carefully crafted characters, compelling character dynamics and intricate plotlines. I'm by no means a fan of the show or the genre, but I've watched quite a few episodes for work and it's definitely not boring. It's well-acted and well-written. Personally, it doesn't surprise me it got so big.

I'm not looking for explosions or spaceships. But there's a whole lot of talking going on in that show.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to watch that once, but could never be bothered to. Which is something special for me since I usually give most shows at least a chance, but I just could never bring myself to start watching that.

I'm sure it's very good, it's just really not my thing. Maybe at some point I'll be able to bring myself to genuinely give it a shot, but until then I'll resign it to the endless tower of "stuff I should probably check out but will never get around to."

I'm not looking for explosions or spaceships. But there's a whole lot of talking going on in that show.
Not to sound like a jerk, since I did basically just agree with you, but I think you'll find there's a whole lot of talking going on in most shows.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
The damn books are the ones on the floor. And there are many. Not sure how many blessed books there are, because the damn ones take up so much space.

:roll: This is exactly my situation with books, to a tee.

She's 75 now, and she feels that it's time for a younger generation to head up the country.

I officially love this lady, or at least this one particular sentiment of hers.

She's been on the throne for 32 years

<crude humour>Might want to get that looked at.</crude humour>

Really, the only thing about Charles' reign as King that people will be able to talk about after its over is that he wasn't quite the worst King Charles the country has ever had.

I am suddenly very interested in what previous Charleses did to be so universally reviled. *googles British history*

I do want to say that the Official Position of the Church on "other things" and what people really believe -- and for that matter, what Christ actually SAID -- aren't necessarily the same thing.

Number of times Jesus mentions homosexuality in the Bible: zero. Number of times outside the Bible Jesus is credibly recorded as having mentioned homosexuality: also zero.

Assuming it exists, I'm going to Hell anyway because I worship multiple gods, but- those who condemn homosexuality might have a surprise waiting for them when they die. Especially if, for example, they were excessively judgmental, or they never did anything for the poor... Two things Jesus condemned in no uncertain terms.

I figure any practicing Christians in here already knew this, but it's worth mentioning so the rest of us hear it. Because if someone condemns you in the name of somebody important, it sure helps to know that they don't have a shred of insight into what that person was actually like.

I've never seen Downton Abbey, but it cannot possibly be more boring than the goddamn Sopranos. Watching paint dry is a thrill compared to that pile of greasy ogre s***.

Last edited:

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Well, I brought west wing this morning. The first season anyway. Also had multiple dreams about being on exchange in Japan again, but this time I was with a Japanese family in china.

Japanese in dreams is really odd. Just sayin'

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Number of times Jesus mentions homosexuality in the Bible: zero. Number of times outside the Bible Jesus is credibly recorded as having mentioned homosexuality: also zero.

Whether he said it zero times, or whether he said it twice a day for thirty two years, not relevant.

What he said that is relevant: "Judge not."

Whether you're Christian or pagan or atheist or agnostic or just don't give a rat's ass one way or the other, "judge not" is sound advice.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whether he said it zero times, or whether he said it twice a day for thirty two years, not relevant.

Whether you're Christian or pagan or atheist or agnostic or just don't give a rat's ass one way or the other, "judge not" is sound advice.

A thousand times this.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Japanese in dreams is really odd. Just sayin'

Never studied Japanese. But when I was studying German, I used to have dreams that I was in Germany but couldn't understand what anybody was saying.

On the other hand, I've had dreams in sign language before, which is bizarre on several levels.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, but I like to pick my battles. If someone is already in the act of judging you, "Jesus never said that" is a heck of a lot less of a losing bet than pushing the "judge not" angle.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Despite loving British stuff, I never got into this show. I prefer the mysteries.

ION: Wrote 520 words within a 3 hour period and I'm fried. How the hell do people write thousands of words in one day? My brain would explode.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote 520 words within a 3 hour period and I'm fried. How the hell do people write thousands of words in one day? My brain would explode.

Oh man, I know the feeling, I sat down for 90 minutes this morning and got a measly 200 words. People think I'm insane for liking editing, but maybe I only like it in comparison to how much I hate writing the first draft. :D

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score

From a 100% non-Churchy person, even I can agree with this. Despite not believing in the whole "divine son of God" business, I will agree that "judge not " is really some damn good advice.

Of course, in relation specifically to the thing I most argue with religious people about, their justification of judging me for being gay is "I don't judge you as a person, I just don't approve of your choice of behaviour."

Apparently that works as some kind of loophole. I don't pretend to understand how.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, the fact that they were assuming it was a choice would anger me there. How many people seriously go, "You know, I really wish my life were a little harder..."?

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
"I don't judge you as a person, I just don't approve of your choice of behaviour."

Apparently that works as some kind of loophole. I don't pretend to understand how.

I know people who think like that. I have family who think like that. I don't get it, but that's neither here, nor there, because I'm not supposed to judge them, either.

For the record: I don't UNDERSTAND your choice of behavior, simply because I've not been in your shoes or experienced what you're experiencing as a gay man.

I don't know if your being gay is "wrong." I don't much care, frankly. Knowing that is not my job, thank goodness. As a practicing Christian, my job is to love you and be here if you need me for something, whether that's religious guidance (which I suspect is not gonna happen) or to talk about comic books, or writing, or whatever you might need from me. Whether you're 100% non-Churchy, or 100% different church, the rules are the same for me: love you and help you, and hope that you will one day do the same for me, though it's not required.

Okay, this conversation is getting way too heavy. Let's talk about something fun. CHANGE THE SUBJECT! Don't make me pull my clothes off! :D

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, the fact that they were assuming it was a choice would anger me there.
I've run into a number of different theories: It was a choice, I was abused as a child, I was corrupted somehow, I am possessed by some kind of demon (seriously), I have a mental disorder, I'm just faking it to seem more interesting, I'm pretending just to annoy people.

"You chose to be gay" is the best, given the alternatives. It's still stupid and irritating, but given what they could be saying, I'd rather be told I just randomly chose to like men.

Incidentally, the "faking it to annoy people" is my personal favourite to laugh at. Like, "oh yeah, I just decided at 13 to feel different and terrible for years and face possible bullying and torment at the hands of my peers just because I really like to annoy people. It makes so much sense!"

For the record: I don't UNDERSTAND your choice of behavior, simply because I've not been in your shoes or experienced what you're experiencing as a gay man.
That's fair. I don't understand the behaviour of straight men personally, so turn-about is fair play. :D

I understand straight women a bit more because at least they like men and that I can relate to if nothing else. Means I can talk about crushes with them. Trying to do that around straight guys is bound to make someone feel uncomfortable. :tongue

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
my job is to love you and be here if you need me for something, whether that's religious guidance (which I suspect is not gonna happen) or to talk about comic books, or writing, or whatever you might need from me.

I like this line of thinking, as it's very much like what I'd consider to be everyone's job.

Unfortunately I am still in that "angry youngish person" stage where I somehow don't feel like doing my job as a human being is doing enough, so I keep wishing I could make everyone who isn't already doing so do their jobs. I know it's a losing battle, I'm just too much of a dolt to give up yet. Someday.

By which I mean I keep wishing I had some kind of like... Magical feather I could brush people with that would instantly and permanently turn them into good, loving, all-around helpful human beings. Or something. Sadly, it's one of the least idiotic things I think/feel daily.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
I've run into a number of different theories: It was a choice, I was abused as a child, I was corrupted somehow, I am possessed by some kind of demon (seriously), I have a mental disorder, I'm just faking it to seem more interesting, I'm pretending just to annoy people.

Come to think of it, I got those a lot too (as well as, "Um, if you'd just pray really really hard, God would make you straight").

The "chose it" bit angers me because the implication has always been that I chose it specifically to antagonize either 1) the Church or 2) their God. By that line of thinking, suddenly we're the bad guys for existing.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Looking back over what I've written here in the last hour, I realized that I said something incredibly stupid.

I can't talk about comic books. I've not read one since about 1990. And it was DC.

*hangs head in shame*

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I got those a lot too (as well as, "Um, if you'd just pray really really hard, God would make you straight").
I always joke that they may be right about that one, since no other force on this Earth would be able to make me straight.

My response to the "you chose to be gay" argument is always the same too: "If you think you can choose your sexuality on a whim, then you choose to be gay. Come on. After all, it's easy, right? And you can just choose to be straight again right afterwards, so where's the harm?"

Surprisingly that always tends to shut them up.

The "chose it" bit angers me because the implication has always been that I chose it specifically to antagonize either 1) the Church or 2) their God. By that line of thinking, suddenly we're the bad guys for existing.
That's why they say it. I've noticed a pattern among people of that particular nature: They love to play the victim. Just look at how they phrase their efforts to stop same-sex marriage. They don't say "we don't want them gays to marry!", they say "it's an attack on traditional marriage", or "an attack on religious freedom."

Everything they say and every way they say it is specifically designed to paint the opposition as the bad guy. We don't want equal rights under the law, we want to force our evil on their churches and their children!

I should probably reign myself in a bit here because I risk going into "rant mode" and accidentally annoying some people with careless remarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.