What is Mainstream/Contemporary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IWannaWrite

Banned
Reaction score
I am trying to understand what mainstream and contemporary fiction are and if my WIP fits in either of these categories.

Just going by the words themselves:

Mainstream = conventional?

Contemporary = modern time frame (i.e., not historical)?

I have searched online and even here and don't know what these adjectives mean when modifying the noun "fiction."

I think my WIP is hard to categorize so I am trying to figure out how to describe it. TIA!

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Mainstream in my experience is a book that lies somewhere between literary and genre fiction.

If you are refering to agent guidelines, then mainstream tends to mean anything that isn't literary.

rainsmom

Feeling like an old timer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-c-alexander.com
Contemporary means set in current time -- in other words, not historical.

I use essentially the same definition for mainstream as gothicangel. Think book club fiction. Think the fiction that is shelved in the general fiction section of the bookstore.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the previous posters. I view it as people I might know living lives I might lead.

There is quite a bit of crossover, of course. Real life has its share of romance, horror, comedy, mystery, and (at times) fantasy and supernatural. What separates it from genre fiction for me is if the story falls apart without the horror, romance, comedy, etc. elements.

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
What separates it from genre fiction for me is if the story falls apart without the horror, romance, comedy, etc. elements.

This entire subject is my weakest point so forgive me, but what if the fantasy aspect which is central to the story (in other words the story would fall apart without it) is only fantasy to some, but not to others (I'm talking about large segments of the population, not the lunatic fringe)?

For example, my heroine has an encounter with God. This is absolutely central to the story and without it it falls apart. To some this is pure fantasy, to others it's so plausible that it's practically possible (ergo realistic).

Something else that's very possible is that I'll re-read my post in the morning with rested eyes and brain and wonder what I was wondering about tonight.

My current problem is that without this encounter with God, it's a Bildungsroman (coming-of-age novel). But with it it's what? I should mention that this encounter is not important in only a personal (to my MC) fashion, but on a global scale.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mainstream is basically something that doesn't fall squarely in any of the genres (horror, fantasy, romance, etc.) but has a broad appeal. How is that different from literary? Sometimes the line is rather blurry. But mainstream tends to appeal to a broad audience, and thus aims at a broad market. You can be literary and mainstream, too. Joy Luck Club, for example.

Contemporary is set in modern times, about modern issues. Basically, it's not Historical.

This entire subject is my weakest point so forgive me, but what if the fantasy aspect which is central to the story (in other words the story would fall apart without it) is only fantasy to some, but not to others (I'm talking about large segments of the population, not the lunatic fringe)?

For example, my heroine has an encounter with God. This is absolutely central to the story and without it it falls apart. To some this is pure fantasy, to others it's so plausible that it's practically possible (ergo realistic).

My current problem is that without this encounter with God, it's a Bildungsroman (coming-of-age novel). But with it it's what? I should mention that this encounter is not important in only a personal (to my MC) fashion, but on a global scale.

If it's based on fantasy, then it's fantasy. However, if it's mostly anchored in reality but has strong fantastical elements, often it's referred to as "magical realism," which is not that uncommon in mainstream/literary.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"Mainstream" is a book you can throw into the middle of the river and it will float.

"Literary" is a book you can throw into the middle of the river and it will sink.

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
"Mainstream" is what I write because I can't find anywhere else to put it.

"Contemporary" means I'm writing it now.

:sarcasm

Lapinou

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, I think I fit here, not in women's fiction! :)

lachel

Registered
Reaction score
Would "chick lit" (is it still called that?) be under here? Things like Sophie Kinsella or "I Don't Know How She Does It"? I looked in the women's fiction/romance section, and the questions mostly seemed to be about romance novels.

I feel like I'm maybe being too literal, but I think I'm nearing being able to post something for critique, and don't want to put it in the wrong place.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Mainstream is nothing more or less than any book of any type that captures the mainstream audience. Sales number usually dictate what is and isn't mainstream, and if you check lists of current mainstream writers, you'll find writers from every genre listed, including Stephen King, John Grisham, etc.

Mainstream readers who never go looking for horror buy King novels, and readers who never go looking for mystery buy Grisham novels, and this makes the writers, and the books, mainstream. This is also when the words "Horror novel" and "mystery novel" usually disappear from the cover.

Contemporary is nothing more than a non-genre novel set in a contemporary setting.

J.W.

Registered
Reaction score
When querying, is it appropriate to use ether term (mainstream / contemporary) or is it advisable to pick a genre that best fits you manuscript? The term "mainstream" sound presumptuous to me. Why not just say "bestseller?" How can one know if their book is actually going to be mainstream and appeal to anyone? Contemporary sounds too architectural to me.

That said; the book I’m working on is a contemporary-mainstream-bestseller.

AinSoph

lost in lit land
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniealicerogers.com
lachel, I think 'chick lit' is a sort of sub-category of women's fiction.

I too have struggled with what the hell to call my manuscript. I settled on mainstream because it really just doesn't fit into any one genre. I think it's really on the wire between literary and genre fiction - it has elements of horror, there's a slight feminist tinge (shhh, I know people hate that) and it deals with mental illness as well, but it's more about the personal growth of the character than anything else.

AinSoph

lost in lit land
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephaniealicerogers.com
J.W., I know 'mainstream' has an implication of 'popularity', but that's not what it means in this sense. Mainstream fiction would be found in the general fiction section of the bookstore rather than in any genre section.

MichaelScottMiller

Michael Scott Miller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelscottmillerauthor.com
I see mainstream/contemporary fiction as a landing spot for a novel that doesn't have a home in any other category. It's a broad category that initially frustrated me, but I've grown to embrace it. A story doesn't have to be a mystery, a horror story, fantasy, or a comedy. Nor does it need to be a paranormal romance, historical fiction, or steampunk.

A story that follows an interesting set of characters and explores their trevails, experiences, and interactions along some type of life journey would be an example.

Velcro

Scribbling Scribe
Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to understand what mainstream and contemporary fiction are and if my WIP fits in either of these categories.

Just going by the words themselves:

Mainstream = conventional?

Contemporary = modern time frame (i.e., not historical)?

I have searched online and even here and don't know what these adjectives mean when modifying the noun "fiction."

I think my WIP is hard to categorize so I am trying to figure out how to describe it. TIA!

I've had the same question tumbling around in my brain too. My current WIP is a vampire story but it has elements of comedy, horror, mystery and erotica. So I was wondering if that would qualify as mainstream/contemporary (since it is set in modern times with throwbacks to historical moments).

Anyone know if that would be correct?

NovelTk

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know myself, but I sometimes think if the story doesn't follow most of a specific genre's expectations then it's more so mainstream.

I label my current WIP mainstream mostly because despite being about two people who eventually fall in love the central theme lies more so in the current cultural climate they face as well as their own personal ties to life's accomplishments and disappointments---not in their need for love/romance. Initially I thought it belonged in romance until I realized it was a mixture of things. Once I finish it I may think otherwise, but for now main stream will do.

bongalak

Registered
Reaction score
In anime there's a genre called "slice-of-life", as in the story takes place in modern, mundane, everyday setting. Is this comparable to mainstream/contemporary?

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just to revive this, how would you class books by the likes of Anita Shreve and Rosamund Lupton as they don't quite fit 'women's contemporary' (and Anita Shreve HATES the 'contemporary women's fiction' tag). I just have no idea how to refer to my novel when I start querying as it seems odd to say 'I'm getting in touch about my 90k mainstream novel'. I also write YA fantasy which is easily defined. But this novel - arghhhh! I know this is difficult based on no outline but is a cross between Shreve and Luton's stuff.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And related to my post - I guess there's a difference between how we define our 'mainstream' or 'contemporary' books to ourselves to how you define it when querying?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
And related to my post - I guess there's a difference between how we define our 'mainstream' or 'contemporary' books to ourselves to how you define it when querying?

I would just query it as a 'novel' and let the publisher worry about the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.