Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I write my queries first too, before I write the book. Actually, I didn't do it for the first book I wrote. Never did perfect that query. Doesn't matter now (unless I revive and revise that book). But writing the query helps me see if I actually have a unique-enough idea.

Would you suggest putting that query for critique on SYW, even if you've not finished the book? It seems so often that the squirrels there reveal possible flaws in plotlines, etc. But I wouldn't want to be seen as wasting other members' valuable time.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
Would you suggest putting that query for critique on SYW, even if you've not finished the book? It seems so often that the squirrels there reveal possible flaws in plotlines, etc. But I wouldn't want to be seen as wasting other members' valuable time.

I guess if that's your aim: to find out if it's flawed. Sure. Besides, you'll use it eventually, right?

Unless there's a rule against that. Maybe Sage knows.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
SAGE: Where do you get them from?
I buy them from iTunes

I guess if that's your aim: to find out if it's flawed. Sure. Besides, you'll use it eventually, right?

Unless there's a rule against that. Maybe Sage knows.
There is no rule against it, but sometimes the squirrels grumble about it if you tell them ;) There are definitely people who like writing queries first. And I've seen books that could improve thanks to the advice given in QLH, and when you're ready to query, that's a pretty discouraging place to find out.

However, sometimes what the squirrels see as a problem with your plot is simply a problem with the query, and it helps to go through a few queries to be able to spot the difference. And, let's face it, sometimes critters are just...wrong, and it helps to have a novel to give you something solid-ish to look at and see if they're right.

And in my own personal experience, once I write some kind of synopsis, I start to feel locked into the plot, and the same goes with queries. Sometimes when I write a query-like summary on my NaNo profile, I get frustrated when the novel's focus shifts during writing. I could imagine this would be extra frustrating with a query because it means you'll probably have to write a new one and go back through QLH again.

Personally--and this is still just my own experience--I like writing queries while revising or waiting on betas. Still in a revision mood if there's a problem, but without anything that feels final to me, and so that I can probably shoot off queries as soon as I'm done with post-beta revisions. But I know lots of writers who love writing queries at the beginning.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
You guys :snoopy: I finished my revisions!!!! Its now in my beta's inbox, just checking over and then omg I can hopefully send my R&R back and query again. *bites nails*

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz Smiley!

*working on the last 9k of a novel*

Not sure if I'll submit it somewhere or not :/

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
You guys :snoopy: I finished my revisions!!!! Its now in my beta's inbox, just checking over and then omg I can hopefully send my R&R back and query again. *bites nails*

So excited for you. And inspired.

I'm so behind...sigh. Why did I decide to try to get a novel published while in grad school?

Actually, I do have some good news--as of last night, I got my final committee member's approval on my dissertation proposal, so I am officially an "ABD" (all but dissertation), which means I've cleared every single hurdle in my program except the research and writing of the diss. Of course, that's a book-length research project and will take the next 12-16 months, but...it's exciting to know that's the only thing left.

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz Kitty for the editor. But why change title for "Satan Goes to High School"? I think it's a cool title.

Congratz Smiley on :snoopy:. Good luck on R&R.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
YAY, SMILEY!!!!!!!!! You have been working so hard on those revisions. I'm so happy for you and very proud and inspired.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats! From the query in SYW alone, I'm excited for when your book gets published!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
YAAAY SMILEY.

So, guys. I bought Terry Pratchett's new book today. I've wanted to read it for ages.

nightowling

Maybe it was Utah.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so behind...sigh. Why did I decide to try to get a novel published while in grad school?

Actually, I do have some good news--as of last night, I got my final committee member's approval on my dissertation proposal, so I am officially an "ABD" (all but dissertation), which means I've cleared every single hurdle in my program except the research and writing of the diss. Of course, that's a book-length research project and will take the next 12-16 months, but...it's exciting to know that's the only thing left.

Congrats! I just finished grad school and got my master's, so I remember that huge relief of reaching the final hurtle. A lot of work ahead of you, but good luck, and it will feel SO good when you're done.

And yay, Smiley!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I have a new writer problem. To stick with my original post-NaNo plan or start a new one.

Original plan = dates of important events
New plan = word count goal

Gah.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Got a rejection from the Random House e-book imprint today. My first rejection ever :(

It wouldn't really bug me so much, except for this part:

While the premise is instantly enticing I found myself unable to connect with the characters, which makes it difficult for us to position this successfully.

At least it's not a form rejection though, right?

Kim Fierce

Attack me with everything you have.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimnflowers.blogspot.com
Got a rejection from the Random House e-book imprint today. My first rejection ever :(

I would say pay close attention to the ones that aren't form rejections! Maybe the characterization is worth looking into, at least for the parts they read. Looks like you are getting very close to publication!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score

It wouldn't really bug me so much, except for this part:

"While the premise is instantly enticing I found myself unable to connect with the characters, which makes it difficult for us to position this successfully."

I got a rejection from Random House e-pub today too.

"While the premise was interesting, I found that I did not connect with the piece, which makes it difficult to position successfully"

So yeah, I know how ya feel. *hugs!*

I was bummed today, but I'm submitting a short to them in a couple of day, and then I have a novel I am about to finish. I might send that too. :/

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, now we can actually say 'I have a rejection letter from Random House' ... Lol.

Life is complete ;) *kidding*

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
So, it's official: I'll be signing at BEA this year. I'm kind of nervous. You know, that kind of nervous where you fear NO ONE will line up for your autograph? *bites nails*

Anyone planning to attend?

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I was! I'd totally line up for you :)

Congrats on finishing Smiley.

Sorry about the rejections Parump and Bishop.

So I've been offered to move into a bigger classroom next year. It's literally twice the size of mine. And has a projector and a SmartBoard.

Is it wrong that I almost don't want it?

Change kind of freaks me out and I'm not quite sure what I'll do with all the space. Like literally, it's the biggest room in the school. I'd be stupid to pass it up, but I have to have a layout idea for Sunday so stuff can be ordered.

In other news...life is good. The hubby turned 39 yesterday! He's still running around saying "It's my birthday!" He claims he learned it from me.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Parump and Bishop,

Sorry to hear about your rejections. I've been rejected so many times I've lost count!

(Yeah, and it hurts every single time, too).

But I've also been accepted a few times and that's always a bonus. What makes the rejections somewhat less painful is if they editor there tells me why. If it's a character issue, okay, I can learn from it. If it's the style i.e. telling and not showing--something I still struggle with--then it makes me think all the more about how to improve. And I've been very fortunate that some of the publishers who did reject me took the time to detail--and one person did it quite savagely--what went wrong. While I didn't agree with his cutting me to piece entirely, I saw his point and made corrections, so in a way, I'm grateful.

And now, off to bed. Best of luck to those querying!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I would take the classroom while you still can, and just start making a list of what you need - or it'll be a missed opportunity ;) :Hug2:

Trying to finish up a novel before the day starts - not making much progress though :(

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Parump and Bishop,

Sorry to hear about your rejections. I've been rejected so many times I've lost count!

Aw thanks, I would have lost count, but I'm kind of obsessed with saving/archiving all responses to MS [even form letters].

And I wasn't so bummed it was an 'R', I was bummed it was Random House and an 'R'. But, I now have a prestigeous rejection letter from them so that is VERY cool! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.