Getting Back Into a Routine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
I published the first book in a series on January 3rd. I have had the hardest time getting moving on this second book. I took the month of December off because we had a lot of stuff going on and I just needed the break.

Now I'm nearing the end of January and don't have a lot of actual written work to show for it. I have done most of the outline and I know the characters well from the first book.

At this point, my goal is to get the first two chapters done by the end of the weekend and then jump back into my writing at least 1200 words per day (but aiming for more).

I just need to get back into the swing of things!

AgathaChristieFan

proud writer
Registered
Reaction score
Dallionz, congratulations on publishing your book! You'll get back in the swing of things when you're ready. It's okay to take a break once in a while :)

I like your daily goals of 1200 words per day. When I'm finished revising (working on 3 books), I think I'll start setting personal goals for myself to stay on track. I tend to take procrastination to a whole 'notha level...

Bryan Methods

Registered
Reaction score
I agree - breaks are important. You'll enjoy writing more when it comes naturally, and you can do the pushing-yourself thing plenty when you have deadlines!

Axiomae

Registered
Reaction score
I so need a routine too! Even if it is just 500 words a day (all that is possible sometimes looking after a toddler and baby!) Best of luck with finding your groove.

annapalooza

Learning about time management
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on your first book! Getting starting again after finishing a big project can be a little overwhelming. A break is well deserved, but routines are definitely what gets me going again. I can put off writing for days and days, but as soon as I set myself a goal, even a small one (as far as word count), I find that if I just show up to work, it'll get done. Good luck on getting back into the swing of things!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Dallionz!

I'm ready for a break after I finish a big project, too. And then my writing routine definitely helps when I'm ready to get back to it. I don't really do "words per day" goals, though. More like how many stories per month, or when I want to finish a book by. Which seems too vague to work, yet it does work for me.

Dallionz

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the congratulations and the encouragement! It helps to hear that others need a break when you finish a writing project, too.

I think I'm about ready to jump back in, though. Finally! lol

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, another one who knows that hibernation feeling. Well, if you call shoveling five feet of snow hibernating.

Onward, all!

Status
Not open for further replies.