Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
How's everyone's Shimmer subs? I know a few of you had them out a while...
I'm at 13 days now. Last time I was there 21 days and received a form R. : /

But I don't think being out a while is any indicator of being bumped up, considering they have a few rejections longer than 20-something days.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
How's everyone's Shimmer subs? I know a few of you had them out a while...

39 days. 37 since it was passed up to the full editorial board.

I suppose at some point I might need to consider a polite query just to make sure an email didn't get lost or something...

mrajotte

Inkslinging Insomniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryrajotte.com
Hi everyone! New to the forum but not to rejections :)

Received my 2nd from Pseudopod, which included feedback that the story was hard to follow in some places, so at least that gives me a place to start.

Have a few others stories out there, one that's been out since November :cry:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Hi everyone! New to the forum but not to rejections :)

Received my 2nd from Pseudopod, which included feedback that the story was hard to follow in some places, so at least that gives me a place to start.

Have a few others stories out there, one that's been out since November :cry:

I like Pseudopod in that they always give encouraging but clear personal Rs. Good luck with the other stories you've got out!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Got a form R for a 115-day final rounder at Penumbra. Man, that's a tough pill to swallow! On to the next . . .
Sorry to hear that. You'll find a home for it, tho. :Hug2:

Mind if I ask what issue was it for? I'm waiting in 2nd-round of two of their issues...although I sometimes wonder, who doesn't make the 2nd-round?

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Mind if I ask what issue was it for? I'm waiting in 2nd-round of two of their issues...although I sometimes wonder, who doesn't make the 2nd-round?

It was for the July issue, politics.

Thanks for the encouragement, and condolences to the other rejectees about!

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
10-day rejection from Shimmer, 'overall not a good fit.' The sting is I knew that and sent it anyway. Oh well, time to find a better home for it.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
4 day personal R from Shimmer.

Thank you for sending 'Call-Center' to Shimmer, we appreciated the chance to read your work. Unfortunately, however, it isn't quite right for us. I did enjoy it, and thought that it was well-written, and interesting, and I liked the dark humor, but we do receive loads of zombie stories and I felt that this didn't really offer anything new (especially as it's very similar in parts to a story that we've already accepted for the next issue). While it's not for us then, all the best in finding a home for it elsewhere, and do continue to send your work our way.

Good luck with your writing!

Not too bad, but I'm gnashing my teeth about where to send that sucker next.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Funny thing today: I received an R from White Cat for a story that I withdrew back in November. I first subbed it in August, making this R, oooh, 7-8 months old. So much for organization.

Not too bad, but I'm gnashing my teeth about where to send that sucker next.
Unfortunately, zombie stories have reached a saturation point. Have you tried horror markets, too?

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Bad news comes in threes.

Personal Rs from Shimmer and Allegory. Not too bad, but then the killer blow was a 133 FORM R from Cam Obs. Am a bit distraught about this last one because it was out so long. I think as a courtesy they could at least put a personal comment in to explain why it took them so long to press that particular button.

Totally bummed out even though the sun is shining. I might be gone for some time.

Last edited:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Sorry to hear about the trio of rejections, Deadlight.

I got a kind of a significant downer of an R today myself... A story of mine had been passed up to the full board at Shimmer over five weeks ago and it came back today with a rejection... *sigh* Very complimentary, but still...

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Deadlights and Michael H. That's sucks.

Crickets now, but I'm overdue at Apex, Strange Horizons, Stupefying Stories, and Pseudopod. And I'm coming up on my DSF and Analog any day now, not to mention the unknowns floating around in oblivion. I have a feeling this'll be another tidal wave. :/

W.L. Marks

Registered
Reaction score
My third "nicely written but didn't quite win me over" form R from Lightspeed after 3 days. I'm starting a little collection, which I will roast over a slow flame after I finally score an acceptance from this market. ;)