• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Samhain Publishing

Josie

Registered
Reaction score
This is all very interesting!!!!

Who's "LBF" ?

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory, thanks for the info. LBF are closed to subs. Probably no surprise if they only print 6 or so books a year.

Based on this assessment, my vote is firmly with Samhain. They look to be working on an 'economy of scale' model, yet the quality of their produce hasn't suffered as far as I have read. IMO, their books are often of a higher quality than many of their low out put 'claims to quality' industry counterparts. Just an opinion.

P.S. Auckland all the way, baby.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Samhain's biggest plus, IMO, besides the terrific staff, is their handle on distribution. This is where so many small presses go wrong, or just plain aren't able to go big enough (usually the latter.)

SP's got good marketing people and a good rapport with their distributor, which gets the books on the shelves.

Gary Clarke

Knackered
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celinekiernan.com
Samhain's biggest plus, IMO, besides the terrific staff, is their handle on distribution. This is where so many small presses go wrong, or just plain aren't able to go big enough (usually the latter.)

SP's got good marketing people and a good rapport with their distributor, which gets the books on the shelves.

Well it's certainly what attracted me to sub them in the first place. That and the high praise they get from their authors. They sure do seem to be on the ball.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very happy with Samhain. They are willing to work with authors which is a big plus.

I was able to meet my editor, this past spring, at a luncheon. It's great to put a face with the name of the person you work so closely with.

I wish I'd known about the voting.

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Branwyn, I suspect I'm not the only one here who envys you :) Congrats.

Now a question to any and all. Do you think a legit agent would sub a client's manuscript to a press as small as Samhain? No advances etc?

Love your thoughts on this.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Kiwi:
Generally speaking, no. An agent is going to want to push for a publisher that will bring in the best advance they can get. ie: Tor, Harlequin, Avon, Random House, etc. I received a request for a partial from an agent after I sold my book to Samhain and though I sent in the partial, the agent was in no way interested in my book. **shrugs** Oh well. I was published anyway.

To be completely fair, Samhain does offer an advance. It may be only $100, but it's still an advance.

Hope this helps.

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
For those keeping track, LOL, my ms was rejected by Samhain. Not too sad cause I accepted an offer for the same ms with Wild Rose Press, but still a rejection.

As rejections go, it was awesome. It was personalized and the editor told me she loved my writing and was interested in seeing future works from me. Not too shabby, I would say. I definitely will submit other work to her.

Good luck to everyone else who still has subs with them

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I dont see that having an agent would give you an edge with Samhain, and they would take a cut. I suppose a legit sgent might just approach them but you would be at the point where they are a cost and not a benefit in the process....

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
smlgr8, oh poo...but then yay it was accepted at Wild Rose Press! :)

Welcome to the rose garden!

smlgr8

Eternal Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Gary. It helps to have already sold the book to another publisher, plus hearing how much she loved my writing and inviting me to submit future works directly to her made the rejection sting a lot less! ;)

kiwiauthor

Registered
Reaction score
... looks like I'm about to bow out too. Received an email from the editor who requested my manuscript, saying she was too busy to take on any more authors and she had handed my full on to another editor for review. Very apologetic, and I'm not complaining, Eve was fantastic in her dealings with me.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I had my first book accepted by Samhain passed because it was, as I recall, a bit 'dark' for the first one--the second one accepted it.