Living with birds

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody out there keep birds--parakeets in particular--as pets? I have a brief scene in an apartment whose occupants keep two birds and I want to make sure I get it right. (I've been around birds a bit, but none of my good friends keep them).

In the scene, the birds are making noise in their cage (which is draped). When the protagonist opens the door to the cage, the birds (who know her) jump on her finger and allow her to carry them around the room. Is this possible? Would birds be okay sitting next to each other on a person's finger?

Thanks!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody out there keep birds--parakeets in particular--as pets? I have a brief scene in an apartment whose occupants keep two birds and I want to make sure I get it right. (I've been around birds a bit, but none of my good friends keep them).

In the scene, the birds are making noise in their cage (which is draped). When the protagonist opens the door to the cage, the birds (who know her) jump on her finger and allow her to carry them around the room. Is this possible? Would birds be okay sitting next to each other on a person's finger?

Thanks!

Two parakeets on one finger seems crowded, just spacewise, especially for a woman's hand, and hands are jostley but if the birds are pals and will/like to ride around like that (some do, some don't) and sit next to each other on a perch, I don't see why not. The space bothers me more than anything in your scenario. Parakeets aren't that wee.

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help! I might have the human offer two fingers instead.

batmantis24

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melaniebergillustrations.carbonmade.com
I have raised cockatiels as well as parakeets and to be honest, their behavior, even when they love their owners, varies with each individual bird. I've never known a parakeet to hop up on a finger right away, though I'm not sure if it's impossible. Parakeets can get to a fairly decent size (7 inches long), so it may be a bit crowded, as cornflake pointed out, for their to be two on one finger.

Usually the owner needs to stick their finger up to the parakeet (long ways) with a gentle brush against their belly so they know it's time to step up. It's one of the first "tricks" they learn.

Parakeets can definitely learn to be very sweet and are easily handled when trained correctly, though it takes time. I'm assuming your protagonist has trained these particular parakeets very well! It's a cute idea, I hope I was able to help a little!

Last edited:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I grew up with lots and lots of parrots. I think the answer with one parakeet is "yes, definitely". With two side by side - probably, though parrots/parakeets are complex emotionally and definitely feel jealousy?

Deleted member 42

Going to move this to the Animals and Nature forum, where you'll get more responses.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks!

I've owned a number of parakeets in my life.

Draping a cage will shut them up. So if the cage is covered, they won't be chirping and chattering.

If the bird is trained and bonded with its owner, it will jump on the owner's finger. But it probably won't stay there, or not for long. It will probably want to stretch its wings and fly around a bit. May come back to the owner and land on her head.

She could move the bird from her finger to her shoulder. But either way, if the bird wants exercise, it's going to a fly a bit before being content to settle there.

ETA: I missed that it was two birds on her finger. That's not likely, but she could put one on her shoulder and then let the other one jump on her finger. Everything else I said still applies.

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Beth stole my thoughts about cover and noise, flight and exercise, as well as riding on shoulders.

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
I've owned a number of parakeets in my life.

Draping a cage will shut them up. So if the cage is covered, they won't be chirping and chattering.

Ah, this is something I wanted to know more about. From my research it seems that birds will sometimes make noise even if they're draped--especially if it's morning time. Would you agree with this?

Thanks to all. Birds are wonderful, aren't they?

batmantis24

Registered
Reaction score
Website
melaniebergillustrations.carbonmade.com
Ah, this is something I wanted to know more about. From my research it seems that birds will sometimes make noise even if they're draped--especially if it's morning time. Would you agree with this?

Thanks to all. Birds are wonderful, aren't they?

Some parakeets and parrots will still make noise if they are draped, especially if they can hear noise from their owner. We have a Sun Conure and she is notorious for squawking super loudly when myself or my roommate comes home. She'll keep making noise until we uncover her. We even put a black drape over or coats, but she'll keep at it until she gets attention.

So, yes. Some parrots and parakeets still make noise even when draped, maybe not as much, but it's not uncommon for them to call for their owner.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

If the cover lets daylight in and there's more than one bird in the cage, they might be doing some quiet chirping.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My parakeet does chirp, sing and clang his toys when the cage is covered. TC is not a fan of being ignored. However, he will not sit on my finger or approach me, except to try and bite me when I clean his cage.

Since he loves Transformers, Richie Havens, Journey and Les Mis, I overlook his eccentricities.

Oh, he's prone to falling of his perch too. I think he's drinking when I'm not looking.

Sleepysara

Registered
Reaction score
My parakeet does chirp, sing and clang his toys when the cage is covered. TC is not a fan of being ignored. However, he will not sit on my finger or approach me, except to try and bite me when I clean his cage.

Since he loves Transformers, Richie Havens, Journey and Les Mis, I overlook his eccentricities.

Oh, he's prone to falling of his perch too. I think he's drinking when I'm not looking.

Ha! He sounds like a character.

Thanks again to all. This has been most helpful.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Small birds treat human arms and hands as potential predators, unless they're specifically tamed. It's more difficult to 'hand-tame' a pair of budgies than an individual, because they bond to each other instead of their owner, and don't impulsively seek human contact. If she got both birds at the same time, it's likely they won't come near her hand. If she got them one at a time and tamed them individually, it's more likely they will sit on her finger.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Small birds treat human arms and hands as potential predators, unless they're specifically tamed. It's more difficult to 'hand-tame' a pair of budgies than an individual, because they bond to each other instead of their owner, and don't impulsively seek human contact. If she got both birds at the same time, it's likely they won't come near her hand. If she got them one at a time and tamed them individually, it's more likely they will sit on her finger.

True about the bonding, but if she has a single bird and later adds another one to the cage, it may be war. I had that happen and they ended up in separate cages.